+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: This Show Has Gone to an All Time Low

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo3b
    Oh people...stop being so "holier than thou" with your reaction to what the producers told the audience. :rolleyes I actually laughed when I heard that, especially when I read about the guy who figured there had to be at least one talented patient out there....because he wasn't blinded by the limelight so much that he couldn't see the truth.

I didn't see anyone on the show tonight who was mentally challenged, or otherwise handicapped in such a way that would make me think they shouldn't have been smart enought to see it coming. These people are deluded, clueless, and just want to be famous SO BAD, that they'd believe anything the producers tell them.
    I disagree. It's just a form of bullying to me. If a person is weak physically, does that make it o.k. to beat them up? If a person is weak emotionally, perhaps lonely and yes, deluded, does that make it o.k. to fools out of them?
    Not to me.
    What I don't understand is the 'joy' people get out of watching obviously psychologically damaged people get bullied. I'm uncomfortable with it on American Idol, and am relieved when they are sent home.
    But this whole concept makes me downright ill. And using the "Make A Wish Foundation" which is about helping dying people is even sicker.
    The audience members thought they were doing a nice thing by supporting people who were dying, by fulfilling a final wish for them. Then, they find out that they are hurting people instead. That is the lowest kind of manipulation I can think of.
    And that's funny?

[QUOTE] Originally Posted by Bo3b Seriously! In this day and age, I feel absolutely NO PITY whatsoever for ANYONE who tries out for a reality show, now matter what the subject matter.

Just because it is a reality show, doesn't mean that you can treat people with disrespect and no consideration for another's feelings. Some of these shows have carried things way too far just to lift the ratings. They do it for ratings??? That is a bunch of baloney! No they don't deserve to be humilated and I am sure they didn't enter a contest thinking they had no talent for singing. It may be a "reality" tv show, but it is "real" people with "real" feelings here. We all deserve respect and to be treated with some dignity. Shame on anyone who gets a kick out of watching another be humilated and shamed. What has happened to people in this world??

All I can say after only watching 30 minutes of it is...........DISGUSTING! And I love reality shows! But this was ridiculous! I also want to know why people don't tell their family members they suck! I would never allow my kids, sister, or friends make a fool of themselves like that! So shame on people who don't have the balls to say "Hey, you really can't sing!"!!!!
    If You Don't Have Anything Nice To Say, Come Hang With Me! LOL!

... and I would encourage them to get singing lessons and not humilate themselves! Geez.. TV getting way to carried away with some of these shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo3b

Seriously! In this day and age, I feel absolutely NO PITY whatsoever for ANYONE who tries out for a reality show, now matter what the subject matter.

I didn't see anyone on the show tonight who was mentally challenged, or otherwise handicapped in such a way that would make me think they shouldn't have been smart enought to see it coming. These people are deluded, clueless, and just want to be famous SO BAD, that they'd believe anything the producers tell them.
    I agree with you on that, if they sign up for TV and sign those contracts "selling their souls to the producers", then they must accept what they get. By now people should realize that everything is not always what it seems, they have pulled these reality TV pranks before.

But, I do find using Make-A-Wish Foundation in their lies wrong. That is the one thing they should not have done, and I hope they donate a hefty sum to Make-A-Wish as an apology.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by touque
    I disagree. It's just a form of bullying to me. If a person is weak physically, does that make it o.k. to beat them up? If a person is weak emotionally, perhaps lonely and yes, deluded, does that make it o.k. to fools out of them?
    Not to me.
    What I don't understand is the 'joy' people get out of watching obviously psychologically damaged people get bullied. I'm uncomfortable with it on American Idol, and am relieved when they are sent home.
    But this whole concept makes me downright ill. And using the "Make A Wish Foundation" which is about helping dying people is even sicker.
    The audience members thought they were doing a nice thing by supporting people who were dying, by fulfilling a final wish for them. Then, they find out that they are hurting people instead. That is the lowest kind of manipulation I can think of.
    And that's funny?

Agreed. I wonder if people who find this amusing are the same people who think the way some of our troops treated the Iraqi prisoners was just a little American fun. It really disturbs me that we seem to have a generation of people with such a distorted sense of humor.

There is a strange irony here. The show is designed to humiliate, embarrass, bully and hurt. Obviously, the target audience is people who have no problem with that. Yet ... the audience at the taping were told these contestants were Make A Wish people who were fulfilling a dying wish. Hmmm, so ... When it comes to the audience they are appealing to their sense of compassion and sympathy. I think the audience is going to be plenty upset when they find they've been party to a cruel hoax.

Since this was obivously taped awhile ago, I wonder where the talented singers are (the ones who were told they were terrible). Surely, they didn't sign any kind of contract prohibiting them from speaking out since they were rejected. I hope some of them do.

FORT Fanatic

Rumor About Audience Being Told The Contestants Were "Challenged"

I seriously forget where I read this, it might have been a satire site or something (if so, sorry), but I definitely read once that the audience members were told the contestants were mentally/physically challenged, which is how they got them to cheer for the performances - and also why it looks like the audience members are shocked in those clips of the finale.

Does anyone else know about this at all?

Yes, it's posted here - something about sinking to a new low in the title.

FORT Newbie
    I really do hope this show does poorly so that we don't have to see this downward trend in reality TV continue.

I can only imagine what would be next - taunting and teasing mentally handicapped people until they cry in front of an audience? How about stealing things from the homeless? Maybe pranking cancer patients into believing they've found a cure for them? Great fun!

OMW

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast