+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin C, Judge

Vitamin C, Judge

[IMG]images/img/vitaminc.jpg[/IMG]

(from VH1.com)

Vitamin Cís infectious debut album just may be the most pure pop record of 1999. But pay attention. Appearances can be deceiving. Both accessible and daring, Colleen Fitzpatrick - alter ego for this new female singing sensation - offers no apologies for what she calls "the-girl-next-door-you-think-you-know" attitude. "Youíre going to get something a little different everytime you walk across my lawn." She remembers spicing up the old record collection. "It contained what we called the Bís - Beach Boys, Beatles, Blondie - " She pauses for dramatic effect, " - and the Breeders...." Her quick laugh fills the room. "Well, maybe I was the girl next door and a little left of center." On her self-titled premier, she cleverly mines popís past and present, utilizing some unique producers to help expand her coat-of-many-colors approach, offering up 12 eclectic gems in the process. From the discís indelibly catchy opener "Smile" - destined to be a summer classic, complete with reggae star Lady Sawís own delectable toast - to a nastier swath of funk-punk-playfulness, "Fear Of Flying," (tugging affectionately on the hem of The Clashís "Magnificent Seven,") Vitamin C knows exactly where sheís going. And how she got there. "I started out as a dancer. Iíve always loved to dance," she says matter-of-factly. "Later, when I got into a few bands, I didnít dance as much. I wanted my new album to reflect all the different aspects of my personality, to be fun and positive in spirit." Hailing from Old Bridge, VC danced her way through high school, harboring many of the star-crossed dreams that popís ex-dancer-female iconoclast-of-the Ď80ís - olí whatís-her-name - also touted in early interviews. "Madonna has definitely been an inspiration to me," she says. "She has always been able to make good pop records - but with an intensity and intelligence that also hinted there was much more going on." VCís early showbiz dreams led to a few acting roles. Eventually she decided she wanted to play music. It absorbed her. She began to like the idea of being in a band. "Itís funny, but I always found no matter what band I was in, even if it had a slightly more frayed edge to it, I was drawn to the more tongue in cheek elements, but it always had to have that edge." She discovered that precise chemistry in the plucky Eveís Plum. After a grateful run, and two acclaimed LPís, she would exit the band on good terms, excited about the prospects of going solo. Her dream was to combine a lot of her unrealized, "more playful/optimistic" notions into one persona, Vitamin C. "I remember when I wrote "Smile," which is a really positive song, I was feeling very down. The song kind of lifted me up. A little of that remedy, now and then, is good for the soul." In 1998, Vitamin C landed a development deal with Elektra. "I felt really good about it. I felt I had the experience to take artistic control and prove that this album could be an extension of my vision, as well as the sum of everything I had learned along the way." Sr. VP of A&R for Elektra, Josh Deutsch, (Third Eye Blind, Alana Davis, Vast) recognized Vitamin Cís vision right from the start. Joshís background includes both production and writing experience, including a stint as a songwriter for EMI publishing. The two became instant collaborators, with Josh co-writing and producing several of the tracks with Vitamin C. "I was amazed at how focused she was," says Josh. "Sheís an excellent lyricist. She has a million ideas for songs and she brings such strong concepts to the table that it makes collaboration easy. Sheís an amazing performer who is able to power all these songs with her own experience, which is why theyíre all believable." Deutsch helped enlist other producers. One of them, Garry Hughes (who has worked alongside Trevor Horn for many years) became a mainstay of the project, working with Vitamin C and Deutsch as producer/keyboardist/programmer to help bring more of Vitamin Cís ideas to life. Other producers include Fred Maher, (Matthew Sweet, Eveís Plum, among others), Jim Harry (RuPaul), and Matt Mahaffie (Self). Vitamin C co-wrote the feisty "About Last Night," with Robbie Nevil. "It was great working with the different producers and writing with Robbie," she recalls. "And Josh was the ultimate writing partner because he had an understanding of the big picture. Heís one of those rare, old-fashioned A&R guys who comes from a musicianís point of view. Heís lived through this whole experience himself." Vitamin Cís subject matter runs the entire gamut of coming-of-age experiences. Some frothy samples are the punchy "Me, Myself, And I," produced by Josh, Garry and Fred Maherís gated guitar styled/throwback-club-romp "Not That Kind Of Girl," with VCís unshakable confidence shining through. She even quotes Digital Undergroundís "Doowutchyalike" on the funky "Do What You Want to Do." However, VC can strike a wistful note when necessary. The albumís closer, "Graduation," touches a chord in anyone who has ever looked back on lifeís changes. "Itís about moving on. I used graduation as the setting because it is such a universal and pivotal point in peopleís lives. For so many of us itís both a beginning and an end. We used a real high school choir, NYCís All City Chorus, to enhance the spirit of the song. When I was talking to the kids in the choir their outlook was inspiring. So many of them believe that they will be Ďfriendís forever.í I wanted to keep a touch of idealism as part of this album." Has she accomplished her goal? "I like music thatís larger than life," she laughs. "And I set out to make an intelligent pop record. I want people to look twice, think twice and -- well, smile." Bio Courtesy of Elektra Records

Wow, so Vitamin C is using this to resurrect from the dead, eh?

Ah, so that was her in the previews! I didn't even recognize her ---

Well she should be an expert on bad singing
    "Just kiss my toes and I'll be happy." - Dex

Worst "stage name" evah!!
    "That's Numberwang!"

Vitamin C is the bestest Vitamin of all! But this singer sucks.

I'm wondering though how much she's being coached to act like Paula Abdul--you know... stupid, fake-nice and inarticulate.

I like some of her songs...I think she has a good voice. Just because a person isn't a power vocalist doesn't mean he/she can't sing.

What did you say, Simon? krstlfethr's Avatar
    Is this what she thinks will buy respect? *shakes head*
    "[t]he soul is the effect and instrument of political anatomy: the soul is the prison of the body."
    -Foucault

No, she wanted to get respect when she did "Celebrity Boot Camp".

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Ok. I've never knew who she was/is, until last night's show. Holy CRAP is she funny!! She is by far the funniest "judge" on the panel. She had me in stitches the whole time! Her face expressions, "dancing" to the lyrics and her "praise". Too damned funny!

Now that I know who she is and how funny she can be, I'll look into her history of music and support whatever she does in the future.
    If you can't tell, humor is a big factor in who I like.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I didn't expect that much from her but she was very good. Entertaining and funny, she really got into the role.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast