+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: 2/21 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

I have to post too about this show. I think this is a very educational show and yes these are just Jo's opinions on how child rearing should be done, but the techniques do work.

I too would like to see what happens when it doesn't work though. Also, I'd like to see some bigger problems like a biting child worked out. What if the kid DOESN'T stay on the naughty spot? I also feel much better about our parenting styles. There are some parents out there that don't seem like they have ever read a parenting book. In my opinion, having children comes naturally but bringing them up is hard work and natural instincts only take you so far.

Why do all the "Nanny" shows only deal with families of younger children?
    Let's see some shows with school aged kids!

I couldn't believe it either when they put their 6 year old down for a 3 hour nap!
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

Premium Member
    We never read "parenting books" when our kids were little and we never had problems like this with our kids.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Letting her sleep in the hallway was a TAD weird.. I mean, comeon.. put your foot down already.
    "If we had only known that it would just be 10 minutes of crying...we'd of done it 5 years ago!"
    :rolleyes

Why was cop-daddy so "unsure" about the booster chair!? Here's another "OH comeon already" situation for me. How about TRY it for once? :rolleyes

The fact that every single time that we saw footage, he was staring into a boiling pan of _____?_____ and not even paying attention to anything else, tells me he's got more issues than what's being shown.
    "Nobody comes in MY house and tells me what to do"... Umm. Ok. Being a cop and all, uhhhh..how about showing us all what you learned in training?? Which ISN'T about being stubborn to other's (peers) ideas/suggestions.
    Wonder what he's like on his 'beat' when someone doesn't want to give ID.

They weren't the worse-of-the-lot as parents go, but these two (booster/hallway bed) were so ODD.. why not address these issues without the Nanny 911??

This show is getting too boring for me now..I just wish there was another reality show to watch. Like, how about NannyParent 911? A nanny to come in the house and "fix" the parents instead of the kids? More than half the time, these shows just need a fixin' on the crappy-ass parents.
    Last edited by Maveno; 02-22-2005 at 07:59 PM.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I hardly ever watch stuff like this, but just my opinion here. For whatever reason, I get the strong impression that many of the clueless parents I see on TV, and in real life, grew up getting LOTS of spankings. (Remember, 20-30 years ago that was the norm as opposed to being unusual) Now, they're determined not to spank, but have no idea how to discipline otherwise. Obviously, trying to reason and explain won't work on very small children. I'm afraid these parents just don't have any idea what techniques might work on their children.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I can't believe this woman (the mother) is a teacher. God - how does she handle the kids in her classroom, or do they just walk all over her, too? (Plus - couldn't help but notice she was wearing jeans in the classroom - my sister teaches and that would never be allowed.) And he is a police officer? He can't control a 2 and 6 year old - how does he possibly handle crimials/offenders?????
    And, 2 year old in a highchair (so food doesn't fall on the floor - hello? Food is going to fall on the floor when you have a 2 year old. Period. )
    Sheesh - putting her kids (esp the 6 year old) down for a 3 hour nap in the middle of each day? No wonder the kids were cranky: no playtime/interaction shown with the mom or dad - kids up for an hour or so then eat and get back to bed - even if its in the hallway, - the dad ADMITTED, and it seems like the mother is this way too - anything but actually spend TIME WITH the kids. No wonder they were having such problems. The mother seemed like a dolt to me.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Quote Originally Posted by Thyme
    When Jo called her on putting Jayden back in the naughty room for pouting, I sort of looked at that two ways. On one hand, I understand that you have to pick your battles with kids or you'll be fussing all day long. If she wants to pout, let her. It's no where near the worst thing she could be doing. On the other hand, having attitude after punishment was never allowed when I was growing up. If you did something bad enough to deserve punishment, then you had no right to be angry over being punished. You were to be apologetic, and contrite. If anything, making an effort to appear pleasant. And there was no such thing as murmering an angry "sorry". The apology was a standing, eye to eye recitation which included what you did wrong, why it was wrong, a sincere apology, and promise to behave.

But then... I was born a long time ago

Billy's behavior didn't seem that over the top for his age. He didn't need a three hour nap (neither of them did), and munching before dinner shouldn't have been allowed, although after sleeping that long, he probably was ready to eat again. After all, look how many hours had passed since his last meal. That aside, his behavior wasn't too abnormal.
    These people were truly pathetic...a characteristic common for parents on this show. Like Thyme...I was born a long time ago (50 years)...and I would never have allowed my kids to talk to me like I was a hired field hand. There would be no negotiations...and the repercussions would be immediate...and I don't mean spanking. As for my own childhood....speaking to my parents the way I have heard many of the children on this show address their elders...brought back one of my favorite Bill Cosby expressions:

"I brought you into this world...and I can take you out." That was pretty much the way I viewed my folks when I was a kid. Was it right...that depends on your point of view, but I didn't turn out too bad. With my own 2 sons.....my voice conveyed the message I wanted them to receive...and I never had the types of bedtime issues all the parents in this program seem to have. Never.
    ....You can't fix stupid.......Ron "Tater Salad" White

My mother is 58 years old, and had me when she was 27, my brother at 31. I remember getting 3 spankings during my childhood, but let me tell you, I respected my mother. She used her tone of voice and looks to let me know exactly what she was thinking. I was not allowed to say "yeah," etc. It was "Yes Ma'm," etc. I have a lot of respect for her still, and though I did not always do what she wanted during my teenage years, I was still respectful of her with my attitude and tone. She did not accept anything less from me.

On an aside, that woman should not have worn jeans in her classroom even if the school had casual Friday. I was a teacher and did not wear jeans on our casual days, because it was too much of an equalizer with the children. They lose respect with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thyme
    On the other hand, having attitude after punishment was never allowed when I was growing up. If you did something bad enough to deserve punishment, then you had no right to be angry over being punished. You were to be apologetic, and contrite. If anything, making an effort to appear pleasant. And there was no such thing as murmering an angry "sorry". The apology was a standing, eye to eye recitation which included what you did wrong, why it was wrong, a sincere apology, and promise to behave.

But then... I was born a long time ago
    Wow, did I miss you in my household? Even though I agreed with the Supernanny, I too understood, rather remember, getting in trouble for pouting after a punishment and it always baffled me why after a spanking my parent didn't want/allow me to cry...I must admit Thyme that you nailed the reason.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

Don't judge by beauty.... Jojo#1fan's Avatar

That's because...

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    We never read "parenting books" when our kids were little and we never had problems like this with our kids.

Well, ya gotta remember we didn't have these stupid know-it-alls like Dr. Phil and all these dumb child psycholigists telling us we can't do this that and every other thing, cause it 'deminishes their self esteem' or some other nonsense.
    Then nice ladies like Jo who are only trying to do a job get picked on and critisized for 'not having kids' and what not and 'not knowing what she's talking about'. Uh..news flash pal, neither do some of you!

That makes me mad when they do that, cause so what if she has no kids, she's worked with them for 15 going on 16 years. I think that classifies her as kind of an expert, don't you?

Jojo #1 Fan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456