+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2/14 Show Discussion**SPOILERS**

Oh, Pom. You think these parents are bad? At least they tried to discipline the brat before Jo showed up. Others didn't even try because they didn't know how or thought it was mean. These two should win parents of the year compared to the others.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

FORT Fanatic
    [QUOTE=Pomeraniac]Oh, I know he's a total sociopath-in-the-making and if he doesn't get stopped our society could be in huge trouble in 15 years, but nevertheless I am chuckling at his behavior.

Now his mother?? And that piece of crap father of his? Those two are useless. They're just making me really pi$$ed off, 'cause they're lazy and inept and clueless about how to raise a well-behaved child.
    QUOTE]

I've never seen it before either. My thought on seeing Andrew attack that little girl and his baby brother was the same as yours: here's a serial killer in the making.

I don't think the parents were that bad, though. He is a very, very challenging kid, and they are too soft-hearted. But I've known plenty of people who were equally soft whose kids weren't as dreadful as Andrew. It was a bad match, I think. (I think I would have killed him long ago if he were mine, but I'm not as nice as Andrea! )

Premium Member
    When Andrew came out to tell his mom about the hamster running on the wheel I thought no wonder he doesn't sleep with a nocturnal rodent running in his room all night long. It's enough to drive anyone nuts. I will bet that the improvement in his behavior was partly due to getting the bedtime issues solved and he was finally getting good sleep. It also helped to move the baby to another room.

I know my parents would have never put up with my brothers and I acting that way when we were kids. We did sometimes and my dad put a quick stop to it with his belt... one good smack on the butt with that thing and imagine.. perfect little angels.

FORT Newbie
    Andrew is the worst kid by far on any of these nanny shows. In this case I don't think it's all the parents' fault. I think this is a born [mod edit] and a born bully. I could see it in his face. I think he should just be killed right now to spare other kids from being traumatized in school. He's going to be an [mod edit] and a bully for the rest of his life. And I think Andrew's parents should be sterilized.
    Last edited by Amanda; 02-20-2006 at 09:32 AM.

Premium Member
    Sometimes it's easy to understand why some species eat their young.

This is only the second SuperNanny I've watched. I think the nanny is great, and her advise is sound, particularly because it's easy to see what someone ELSE is doing wrong. A person who is completely uninvolved and not emotionally attached to the household can always point out problems and suggest solutions. The solutions usually appear to work because it's the first time they're being tried, but kids adapt quickly. Doing things a different way will usually shock kids into behaving for a day or two, but then they get used to that and try something new. By that time, nanny and the camera crew are gone.

The parents: The whole time, the look on the dad's face was "Can't I just go to work and come back in a few years? Things should be straightened out by then." The look on the mom's face was a cross between embarrassment, jealousy over someone else knowing her kid better than she does, and dispair over her idealistic vision of mommyhood not turning out quite like she expected.

Andrew: I felt bad for him, because he was probably the shining star of the household until the new baby came. Resentment was inevitable. Most kids can't bear to let their parents complete a five minute phone call, let alone share all the parents time and attention with a sweet little baby who gets held a lot and never gets yelled at. Andrew wants the spotlight back by any means necessary. I'm in no way excusing his behavior. Just trying to understand it.

I don't think there's any one solution. Just a day to day quest for parental control until he's mature enough to see that it's that way or NO way.

FORT Newbie
    Hi everyone!

Did anyone else notice that the "family update" was just 1 week later? I think dad said something about "a week ago"... I thought it was way too soon for a family update. Andrew could be having a good week but in 2 months, he'll go back to his old habits!!! I would prefer knowing how the family is dealing 3 months later!

Well, if I misunderstood, then sorry!

peachroses

my 2Cents

I started watching the show last night and had to stop because Andrew was just so out of control, but I do want to offer some words from experience.

I too had a little terror when he was that age. I have 2 kids and could never understand why my challenge was so much more difficult than my 2nd quiet passive child. I still don't truly understand it, but I do resent or cringe when I hear others criticize the parents for having poor parenting skills.... hells bells, no one trains us and when we are blessed with a challenge all we can do is fly by the seat of our pants and do the best we can.

I truly believe that all parents do the best job they possibly can with what they are given... sure there are exceptions of truly horrible parents that just don't care about their kids, but on Super Nanny I have never seen any parents that fit that category or they would not be on the show. I think parents are just constantly given conflicting advice as to how to deal with difficult children and society has placed such a huge stigma on spanking and old-fashioned discipline...... in my case we did work with child psychologists and even they gave us conflicting information.

I am happy to say that my son grew up to be a responsible hard working 21 yo student on scholarship. He works 2 jobs, and pays most of his own expenses. He is not perfect, but I am proud to call him my son... and despite many battles with him, especially during the teenage years, he has told me often that we were good parents and he always felt loved, not always liked, but always loved... as he is very much so.......

BTW, before I had kids, one of my phrases was 'My kids would never.......', I learned my lesson the hard way.
    Because I said so ....

FORT Newbie
    You know, my oldest child (I have 3) was VERY demanding. He was a terror at 2 and 3 years old, but now has graduated high school in the top 1% of his class, has a full-time job and is a college student. I think I handled his tantrums well sometimes and other times not so well. He turned out OK. Some kids are just more challenging than others.

Thyme, I think your points are sound. Andrew's attacks against baby Sean had largely to due with the fact that he was no longer the center of attention. That's why I liked Jo's sharing toy idea, where both would be noticed by Mom. Andrew even insisted that his baby brother was a "big boy" trying to place him on his level.

And I feel really bad for saying this, but the part where Andrew threw the football at baby Sean's head made me laugh. I was amazed that it happened, that no one disciplined him, and that baby Sean didn't start crying. I was laughing out of shock, I think. How could it have gotten this bad?
    "The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense."
    Good luck to the Good Guys on the Inferno!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast