+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercedes

Mercedes

Mercedes

The 25-year-old former bartender grew up in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and has recently relocated to Los Angeles after studying acting in New York City for four years. She's wanted to be an actress since she was 4 years old, and feels that she hasn't made it yet because she hasn't had the right opportunity. Many people have told Mercedes that she resembles Isabella Rosselini and she has a high regard for Audrey Hepburn, Cate Blanchett and Meryl Streep.
    Last edited by fluff; 04-01-2005 at 12:19 PM.

Very Isabella Rosellini in the still photo, but I liked her even more in the pre-show interview tapes on WB.com (her eyes kind of lose that "hooded" look when she actually talks, and she looks more open and fresher looking). She's kind of got a young Terri Hatcher quality. She just has these "nice" vibes bouncing off her--which of course could be total artifice. Then again, if that were true it would say a bit about her acting.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Yeah, she does remind me of Teri Hatcher. Great choices for actresses she admires.
    "The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense."
    Good luck to the Good Guys on the Inferno!

It occurs to me that with that idiot Andria out, Mercedes is now the oldest contestant. Now in the real world, being a very hot and very talented 25 year old is nothing to be bothered by, but is this also true in WB Starlet world, where the person is basically auditioning for One Tree Hill?

That said, in part, I think the fact that she's got a few years on some of the others is part of why her acting has some depth. That old theory about life experience being the best teacher is true. Does 18 year old Michelynne, as pretty as she is, have that? Maybe she WILL in another 7 years.
    Last edited by Krom; 03-08-2005 at 12:34 PM.

Want a laugh? Go look at some of the comments under Mercedes' profile on WB.com...

The really funny ones are One Tree Hill fans who insist that the show is TOO GOOD for her. I am NOT making this up--I actually spit water out when I read it.

Here are some samples:

louis
    03/08/2005 01:32
    i dont want her to win, because she doesnt have the look to be an actress.. i think she looks like a coxy bitch... and yes.. i would NOT wnat her on one tree hill..
    California
    03/07/2005 23:25
    As a die hard fan of One Tree Hill, I don't want her to win the role.

That said, some of the less teenybopperish folks make a bit more sense, even if they still seems to have some confusing love for OTH.
    Callao, UT
    03/07/2005 17:14
    She doesn't look or act like a teenager whatsoever. What's she going to play on One Tree Hill, Brooke's Mom??
    Cambria Covell
    03/07/2005 20:17
    Actually, out of all the girls, she's the only one I can see on One Tree Hill. She could play like a cousin or something. Possibly another one of Haley's MANY sisters. Something like that. The girls got talent and has that Old Hollywood look about her. I like that she doesn't look like she's just gotten plastic surgrey done or something. She's really pretty, and a GREAT actress. If the judges don't pick her, then they are extremely stupid.
    This comment, almost glorifies the horrible WB actress Kristin Kreuk.
    Eva, NY
    03/07/2005 00:06
    I didn't really think she was the best. There was no real emotion from her screen test in my opinion. It was a hard scene though, I don't even think Kristin Kreuk carried it off very well herself.

The "life is experience" theory does make sense. That's why some of these girls cry on cue without building the scene. Many of the WB actors are around 22-25, I believe, so that's not an issue with me. The only WB show I watch, Gilmore Girls, has a 27 and 30-year old playing 17-19. They're petite, but Mercedes doesn't look that old.
    "The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense."
    Good luck to the Good Guys on the Inferno!

Mercedes is my favorite so far. None of the other girls stood out, except some of the horrible ones, but they don't count anyways.

Krom, that stuff you posted is funny as hell. I don't even know what half of them are talking about, as I've never ever ever suffered through OTH.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Boy, Mercedes really IS Teri Hatcher, what with the lack of self-confidence thing.

Mercedes was my early favorite - she seemed to have it all in a lock. Who knew she had that squishy center of self doubt? Hwd. kind of runs on bluff and if you don't have confidence you have to find a way to fake that or hide it or get it or something... Just like Cecile said (and she did'nt likely say this TO Mercedes, since it is a competition and Cecile's smart enough to know, each one of them has to be responsible for their own performance in the contest), Mercedes has looks, talent and presence, she just needs confidence.

She has to get past whatever is holding her back. Whatever it is, she can use it to her advantage even - it can make her more interesting. If she's been a victim or if she's just kind of neurotic or whatever it is - if she incorporates it, it can actually draw people TO her instead of leaving them confused watching her act. Woody Allen made a fortune being neurotic on screen... She needs to sort of figure out who she is and go with it.

She has a great face for camera, with those archced eyebrows and expressive eyes. SHe may need more of a killer instinct since going by next show's previews she apparently hasn't kept in shape.

I think she has likely gotten a little too comfortable being the best actor in her acting class and being friends with everyone else trying to 'make it' etc. She needs to focus, focus focus.

If she does, she has a shot to win this.

Oh and haven't the OTH fans heard of "day player"?

I still like Mercedes & hope she wins. (I like Michelynne too but, she just lacks enough experience and it's showing. Both on and off screen. She is very very sweet but - the pressure's getting to her).

Mercedes - She isn't hearing the judges objectively. What millions of people wouldn't give, to hear that all standing between them and success is some gym time. They didn't say you couldn't do it. They didn't say you are not beautiful. I didn't even hear them say (unless a lot was edited out) you're fat. I did think Vivica's remark was a bit too piqued. (Middleton seemed to love it though. Could practically hear his thought balloon saying, "Oh Snap!").

Mercedes reminds me of Juliette Binoche more and more. Not only could she work as a star/starlet in THIS country she could get lots of work in Italy, France, etc. in my opinion. She has a very mysterious look the camera loves and her emotions are easily read-able on her features. But like Michelynne and some others, she only hears the negative the judges are saying.

Last episode, Faye Dunaway said basically that the physical stuff is NOT worth tears, and that it is a simple thing - just go to the gym daily. I mean, they all have to do it. This isn't a punishment singled out for Mercedes. I think some of the starlets have so many blessings that they are used to everything being that easy for them. Without even being conscious of that. They seem honestly to not know the blessings they really have. Nor should they feel guilty about blessings - they should just know that some of it takes more work than other aspects, to make them a success.

Oh and by the way she looked thin and beautiful, on the beach in her swimsuit, UNTIL she put that sarong on. Notice how quickly Katie jumped to give her one? LOL Katie knew full well - as she said later - the judges would penalise Mercedes for it. Not only did Mercedes look frumpy in it and large around the hips (because there was no seeing her real shape - anyone looks big in a sack) but there was no focusing on anything else. Plus, it was radiating insecurity on her part.

Rather than hearing "They said I have a bad body" - not even accurate that I recall - she should know they were really saying, "Just get to the gym it's that simple and you'll be a starlet". I mean - it's that simple. She has everything else it takes. I think that the sensitivity and insecurity that come with the acting biz just eat away at some hopefuls until they lack perspective. That's what leads to failure, NOT a big butt.

Which by the way Mercedes, you do NOT have.

Now get in there and win!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast