+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: Rio Olympics 2016

Rio Olympics 2016

NBCSN has been airing U.S. Olympic trials all week. I've been watching diving and they just started gymnastics today. Is anyone else watching?

I normally LOVE the Olympics and I'm excited to see the competitions, but all of the news coming out of Rio is pretty dire. It's not just Zika virus. Apparently, the state of Rio de Janiero is on the brink of economic collapse (Brazil to Bail Out State of Rio de Janeiro - WSJ) and scientists have found "super bacteria" in the water near where some open water events will be held (Exclusive: Studies find 'super bacteria' in Rio's Olympic venues, top beaches | Reuters). We're talking bacteria that can cause fatal infections like meningitis. Oh, AND there's concern about violence and crime. An Australian paralympian and her physiotherapist were held up at gunpoint (while bystanders watched and did nothing, btw) and had their bikes stolen in broad daylight (Paralympian Liesl Tesch robbed at gunpoint in Rio de Janeiro - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)). Plus, one of the main hospitals recommended for tourists during the Games was just stormed by a group of armed men and there was a big shootout (Brazil gunmen storm Rio Olympics suggested Hospital Souza Aguiar to free drug trafficker - CBS News).

I think the cherry on the cake of all this happened yesterday after an Olympic torch ceremony, a live jaguar (the mascot of the games is a jaguar) was shot and killed by a soldier after it got loose (Amazon jaguar shot dead after Olympic torch ceremony | Reuters). Trevor Noah called it an "unspeakable act of metaphor" on The Daily Show last night.

I want to be excited for the Games, but this seems like multiple accidents waiting to happen. If I was an athlete competing in one of those open water sports, I sure as hell would be rethinking my plans. This thing sounds like it has all the makings of a gigantic, international dumpster fire. I hope I'm wrong.

This makes me really angry for the athletes who just want to go and compete, but now might be in danger in some way. IMO, the IOC should have stepped in a long time ago. Now, even if they wanted to hold the Games somewhere else, it's too late.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Re: Rio Olympics 2016

Super bacteria in the water I am not surprised as they basically dump human waste and any garbage into the rivers and bay.
    No goat killers on my island.

I really enjoy watching the Olympics, so I have been really bummed to hear about all the terrible stuff going on in Brazil right now. I really hope it doesn't impact the athletes and many many other people who will travel there for the games. I cannot imagine working my butt off to qualify for the Olympics only to be told I would have to swim in horribly polluted water that could kill me!!

I caught a bit of diving, but we have been mostly watching the Copa America for the last week or so. I didn't realize that gymnastics trials had started. I'll have to search them out!!

Swimming trials start on Monday!

This just keeps getting worse and worse: Kemar Bailey-Cole: Jamaican Olympic hopeful claims he has Zika virus - BBC Sport

An article on HuffPo used the phrase "wheels falling off" in reference to this:
    The World Anti-Doping Agency Just Shut Down Rio's Olympic Testing Lab

Oh, and then there's this:
    125 Health Experts Call For Rio Olympics To Be Relocated Or Postponed

Ahead of almost every Olympics - at least recent ones - there have been concerns about things coming together, although it's usually regarding construction of venues. They all manage to pull things together just in time though. This time it seems like there's hardly any aspect of the Games that isn't going wrong. For the sake of the athletes and any tourists brave enough to go, I hope it all works out and everyone leaves Rio safe and healthy.

If I was in an open water sport, I honestly don't know that I would compete, in light of those health reports. What a disappointment that these athletes have worked so hard only to possibly have their chance derailed by circumstances totally out of their control.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

FORT Fogey

I know of some folks who've won trips to Rio as spectators that are not going. The organization is re-staging a USA House event stateside instead due to Zika. I'm sure the winners are relieved and bummed at the same time.

I was on pins & needles with the men's gymnastics team trials tonight! So much emotion, so many surprises, but I think they got the right combination of athletes. Every guy fought for their spot 100%, no regrets. Gutted for Whittenburg. Really interested to see who the alternates are tomorrow.

Some how I don't think there will be any Olympics Games in South America in the future unless there is a huge improvement in countries economy and infrastructure. The Olympics are supposed to showcase the host city and country and instead are showcasing all the problems instead.
    No goat killers on my island.

I've been watching the swimming trials. Good stuff so far.

FORT Fogey

NBCSP just ran a piece about therapy dogs at the Olympic swimming trials in Omaha being used to help swimmers relax before/between heats. The dogs have been working in teams of five per shift and have been very popular with the swimmers. One woman swam to her best time ever after having a session with one of the dogs, and she said she's definitely going to be making it a habit to visit with the therapy dogs before she swims for the rest of the meet.

I just thought that was very cool because I have a certified therapy dog. We've never worked with athletes (well, with college students, some of whom are athletes, but we weren't working with them with regard to their participation in sports), but hey, if they would want us at an Olympic trials...um, well, I wouldn't say no. Especially if it were at figure skating nationals.
    redsox girl likes this.

Although every Olympics has its challenges, I can't help thinking this would be so much better if the IOC had chosen Chicago, Madrid or Tokyo instead.
    justCoz likes this.

FORT Regular

I love the Olympics. I will be watching the Gymnastics trials. That is probably my favorite event during the Summer Olympics.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast