+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: Rio Olympics 2016

Re: Rio Olympics 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Badseed View Post
    Olympic swimmer advised to keep their mouths closed while swimming in the river. At some point you have to ask yourself if a gold medal is really worth it. Battlebots is off for a few weeks because of the Olympics... maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if the Olympics got cancelled?

WARNING: Gross subject matter in article, content may be disturbing
    Rio Olympics competitors warned to 'keep their mouths shut' because of water pollution | Daily Mail Online

Badseed!

That article. Damn.
    KAREN

these Olympics are turning into a mess. I honestly don't know how much longer we will have the games. Look at the mismanagement here, the fact that there are people starving in the streets but they are hosting a game that costs $$. There might be some temporary work, but as soon as the games go, so will the work. We have seen it too many times. Not to mention some of the venues built for events sit in various states of rot.... And add to that all the doping. I don't trust any athlete!

Don't get me wrong, I always enjoyed the Olympics, mainly the winter, I still think its time has come.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    these Olympics are turning into a mess. I honestly don't know how much longer we will have the games. Look at the mismanagement here, the fact that there are people starving in the streets but they are hosting a game that costs $$. There might be some temporary work, but as soon as the games go, so will the work. We have seen it too many times. Not to mention some of the venues built for events sit in various states of rot.... And add to that all the doping. I don't trust any athlete!

Don't get me wrong, I always enjoyed the Olympics, mainly the winter, I still think its time has come.
    I just have a horrible feeling about these games. I wish I could rid myself of that thought. I hope all the athletes from all the countries , stay safe
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I just keep thinking about all of these athletes, many of them who've worked almost their entire lives for this goal and most of whom will never have another change at the Olympics. It's criminal. The IOC should be ashamed. They knew years ago that things weren't looking good. Why wasn't there more oversight? Obviously, it's too late to do anything now, although my mom and were saying last night that they could probably have moved the Games to LA with a month's notice and it still would have come together! They already have tons of venues AND the state has a budget surplus to deal with any expenses. IIRC, they used the dorms at USC to house the athletes, so they wouldn't even need to worry about building an Olympic village AND USC's campus is gated, so security would be easier. Yeah, I know it's not going to happen, but still. If I ran the world!

I hope this teaches the IOC a lesson so that they're smarter when choosing future locations.....that is if this doesn't kill the Olympics. I guess If Munich didn't do it, Rio won't either. At least I hope not. They just should not be choosing cities that have to build up everything from scratch, especially cities without the infrastructure AND with financial problems.

Rio is definitely pointing out why WE need to keep our EPA in place. It's a great example of what happens when there aren't environmental checks in place.

I can't imagine what the athletes facing the horrifying pollution of the open water must be feeling right now. Do you risk meningitis and a host of other infections and diseases to represent your country or do you stay home and miss out on something you've worked so hard for? I don't know how you even make that decision. It seems like the golfers who opted out did so pretty quickly, but then golf is just back in the Games after a very long break, so it's not as big of a deal as something like gymnastics or swimming or track & field.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just keep wondering how many athletes will come home with diseases/illnesses that won't even show themselves 'till after the athletes are home, after exposing ungodly amounts of people in the process, all over the world. And that's not even counting all the travelers just going to watch.

I have a really sick feeling that we won't even begin to realize the fallout from this 'till after it's over.
    The only way around it would be to quarantine everyone attending for a few weeks afterwards, and that's totally impossible.
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

CCL

How is it that millions of people visit Brazil each year and go to the beaches and water? They must have at least some clean water they can use.
    Every Olympics there are complaints. There were in Sochi, Vancouver, London etc. And it usually works out. Part of the Olympics is having it in different countries. Not to say there shouldn't be controls or oversight -and that that should be looked into - but having it always in the US, or switching it to the US, would just please NBC. And NBC already interferes in the Olympics too much.
    Before we begin, what are the parameters of the guessing game? How many guesses do I get? Is there a time limit?

Way back in February or March some of the guys practicing in that Bay in their sailing boats got very sick from the pollution. Others back then were talking about wearing full clear plastic body suits to avoid contamination and illness during the competitions. The question was raised way back then that the IOC should considering moving the games. I didn't think it possible for what I assumed to be a dearth of cities with appropriate accommodations. But if LA or other venues were at all possible, then it is just criminal of the IOC to have done nothing while there was time and with so many glaring red flags. I'd put you in charge of running the games, Critical. But not in charge of running the world. I think The Donald has already has called dibbs on that.
    Lynda

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath View Post
    Sounds like a real mess.

With that level of competence, it is my fear that they will not have sufficient security either.

That would be devastating. I don't know that any of us could handle more bad news.
    Rio security screeners fired one week before Games | Reuters
    2016 Yearbook Title: As Playful, Faithful And Adorable As A Puppy Dog, But With Better Breath! ~ DWTS 20 Pool Winner ~ AGT 10 2nd Place ~ DWTS 22 3rd Place

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    How is it that millions of people visit Brazil each year and go to the beaches and water? They must have at least some clean water they can use.
    Every Olympics there are complaints. There were in Sochi, Vancouver, London etc. And it usually works out. Part of the Olympics is having it in different countries. Not to say there shouldn't be controls or oversight -and that that should be looked into - but having it always in the US, or switching it to the US, would just please NBC. And NBC already interferes in the Olympics too much.
    Oh, I agree that it should be international, but the IOC's first concern should be the health and safety of the athletes and attendees. I don't think the Games need to always be held in North America to do that. There are always concerns leading up to the Olympics, but this time it's not just one thing: it seems like it's everything.

In 1984, my mom's boss was in charge of one of the Olympic venues that was in use for the whole two weeks. She did all the administrative work, so she got to see how things were run AND knew quite a bit about how the Games were run overall. That's why she said LA could host the Games again fairly easily. Of course, if they actually made a bid, I'm sure they'd want to improve venues and whatnot, but they're one of the few cities that could host at close to the last minute and have it not be a total catastrophe.

IMO, it was the responsibility of the IOC to keep a closer eye on things in Rio to make sure progress was being made, especially in the case of the pollution that could seriously affect the health of many athletes. That could have been improved, but the reports I've read indicate that no improvements had been made a year out. That sort of cleaning up takes time. The other big issue is security. If athletes are already being mugged and kidnapped, what will happen when possibly thousands of tourists enter the city this week?
    Baby's Breath likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

I heard this on the news..sigh.
    Baby's Breath likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread