+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: Rio Olympics 2016

To the Point

Re: Rio Olympics 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    They probably want to try to shake him down for money like they did with Jimmy Feigen Seems to me like they could do everything they need over Skype or something similar.
    This wouldn't surprise me. Hate to say it, and I know not all law in any country is awful, but there is much about the law in many other countries that is just so much less "organized" than what we are accustomed. My son quickly realized that it was best to stay away from any situation that could become questionable because the actions of the law were not truly predictable and the individual law officers may impose their own "fines". It isn't even thought of as corruption by locals necessarily, it's just the way it works. You cannot make a real comparison between our LEOs and theirs. It is generally a totally different set of standards.

My first thought upon seeing this was: "DON'T go back down there Ryan!" "Stay here, even if you have to stay in the country for life". They may want to make an example of a scapegoat for a relatively small "crime". He could end up in Brazillian prison for a very long time.
    He's at a point that, even though he wants to compete in 1 more Olympics, his swimming career is winding down. So he kicks his retirement forward a bit, not a big deal at this point.
    He should get a Brazillian attorney, trusted by the Olympic Committee, to plead his case in Rio and try to get a settlement he can easily live with. If they insist on anything more, just stay in the good old USA.

As to him appearing on DWTS, I'd have no problem with that. He'd expressed interest before this year anyhow, and he may be able to rehabilitate his image somewhat, especially if he's willing to take some ribbing, be humble, and laugh a little. If he's likeable, it could go a long way for him in the long run.
    I think he could be fun.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

I don't think that would ever happen ^^^^ He's a high-profile, world-famous athlete. NO WAY would he end up languishing in a foreign prison. What would likely happen is that he would be held in custody until a settlement was negotiated (which wouldn't take long), likely a nice, hefty "charitable donation." He'd also likely be banned from entering Brazil again, which I don't think he'd view as a punishment.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Ryan Lochte starts his "Road to Redemption" by being on Dancing With The Stars.
    No goat killers on my island.

I saw that article! Someone in comments did explain that the 1500M is more of a strategic race vs. just a speed race, so the world record is much faster than the time at the Olympics. The Paralympics runners were running more full-out than the ones in the Olympics, who were jockeying for position and NOT wanting to be the guy who broke away from the pack and tried to get a big lead or something. Usually, the guy who does that doesn't win because the others then speed up to catch him. Still, it's cool that the Paralympics runners are pretty competitive with the Olympic runners.

I've been watching the Paralympics all week. AMAZING! It's definitely made me get off my butt and go work out more than once! The track & field events are particularly impressive, IMO. The blind long jumpers? Incredible! I'm just in awe. Talk about "no excuses!" If you want to find an excuse not to do something, you can find one. These people are just doing it.

I thought it was really cool that the guide and the runner got the gold in various events (I'm not sure if it's all of them).

I will say that I find the tennis - normally my favorite sport to watch - a bit too slow. I'm sure it's harder than it looks, but it's not as exciting to watch, especially since this is right on the heels of the US Open.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I saw that article! Someone in comments did explain that the 1500M is more of a strategic race vs. just a speed race, so the world record is much faster than the time at the Olympics. The Paralympics runners were running more full-out than the ones in the Olympics, who were jockeying for position and NOT wanting to be the guy who broke away from the pack and tried to get a big lead or something. Usually, the guy who does that doesn't win because the others then speed up to catch him. Still, it's cool that the Paralympics runners are pretty competitive with the Olympic runners.
    I read the same thing about the 1500 being run strategically. Then I decided to choose not to care about that part.
    NCLurker likes this.

Fort Member
    where its beautiful one day perfect the next

I love the Olympics I watch every sport and if my country does not have a participant i will choose another country (usually an under dog) and cheer them on, but I also love the paraolympics so many interesting and fascinating to watch sports, Boccia, the sit down volleyball, the para triathlon, the wheelchair rugby, the archery Matt Stutzman is amazing and the Australian swimmer Ahmed Kelly, oh my gosh, he is an extraordinary sportsman. I wish it was as popular as the olympics and I wish main stream TV had the courage to have it on as much as they had the able bodied Olympics on. Did i mention the weightlifting? I love it but then I am Australian and, well we just love sport, any sport really
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.
    Happiness is an unexpected piece of chocolate!

+ Reply to Thread