+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree149Likes

Thread: Rio Olympics 2016

Re: Rio Olympics 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Although every Olympics has its challenges, I can't help thinking this would be so much better if the IOC had chosen Chicago, Madrid or Tokyo instead.
    I agree. We do frequently hear that venues aren't ready until the last minute, but water cleanup can't be done quickly. It's really horrific that the IOC would ask top notch athletes to risk their health like this!

As a golfer, I was sort of hoping that golf would return in grand fashion with this Olympics....but I'm pretty sure that you will be able to crickets with the lack of top ranked players actually playing in the games. Jason Day is out, Rory McElroy is out.. how many others will bail. And each country's roster is not exactly the A Team. Hard to compete with the Ryder Cup and all the other competitions going on at the same time.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by psucashcow View Post
    As a golfer, I was sort of hoping that golf would return in grand fashion with this Olympics....but I'm pretty sure that you will be able to crickets with the lack of top ranked players actually playing in the games. Jason Day is out, Rory McElroy is out.. how many others will bail. And each country's roster is not exactly the A Team. Hard to compete with the Ryder Cup and all the other competitions going on at the same time.
    What a bummer. I'm not much of a golf fan, but my parents are. It would be nice if the big golf organizations would refrain from planning other big tournaments over the Olympics. It only happens every four years...

FORT Regular

I was surprised the 5 time Olympic Medalist Missy Franklin failed to qualify for the 100 meter backstroke.

Dear God, what's next? Toads and pestilence?
    http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_57...b0cc0fa1366361
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

way too close to moose, black bears and other country critters

Quote Originally Posted by Summer Breeze View Post
    I was surprised the 5 time Olympic Medalist Missy Franklin failed to qualify for the 100 meter backstroke.
    She's really been struggling the last two years. She was such a bubbly unjaded presence at the 2012 Olympics.
    Summer Breeze likes this.
    Well, I won't back down/No I won't back down/You can stand me up at the gates of hell/But I won't back down
    No I'll stand my ground//And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down/Gonna stand my ground/Well I know what's right/I got just one life/In a world that keeps on pushin' me around/But I'll stand my ground/And I won't back down-Tom Petty

I love the Olympics. I will be watching the Gymnastics trials. That is probably my favorite event during the Summer Olympics.
    I have issues with the sports that rely on judges to pinpoint the winner. Gymnastics, diving, skating, synchronized swimming, all those types of events seems to be liable to political shenanigans.

But she did get in for the 200 meter sprint. Losing out to Katy Ledecky, but beating everyone else. And everyone loses to Katy Ledecky. What an incredible swimmer that young lady is.
    Summer Breeze likes this.

FORT Regular

I can agree that the judges sometimes seem to have a predetermined favorite, but if that favorite really falters they can't give them great scores.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    But she did get in for the 200 meter sprint. Losing out to Katy Ledecky, but beating everyone else. And everyone loses to Katy Ledecky. What an incredible swimmer that young lady is.
    Katy Ledecky is amazing that is for darn sure. Also a big congratulations goes out to fellow Marylander Michael Phelps for making his 5th Olympics. Simply amazing.

+ Reply to Thread