+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: Baseball 2016: Pre Season, Regular Season and Post Season

Re: Baseball 2016: Pre Season, Regular Season and Post Season

With 102 wins, the Chicago Cubs have the best record in the entire MLB this season. Could this finally be their year?
    Pools I'm running: Survivor: (Due Oct 4)
    Pool History:
    Masterchef 5: Cutting Board Game Hunters: Second to Last
    Survivor: San Juan Del Sur - 200k DNA - Pool Winner; Kaoh Rong - Fourth Place
    Hell's Kitchen 7 - The Boulevard of Frozen Dreams - Wooden Pitchfork

Quote Originally Posted by Badseed View Post
    With 102 wins, the Chicago Cubs have the best record in the entire MLB this season. Could this finally be their year?
    Every dog has his day! The magical "even year" prospects for the SF Giants (won WS in 2010, 2012, 2014) seems to have lost it's mojo, we'll be lucky to get into the playoffs this year. We had the best record going into the All Stars, and then kaplooey! It all fell apart! But, this is baseball and I'm not greedy, I've been triply blessed of late. So, somebody has to win this year and I hope it's a team that hasn't had that unbelievable thrill for a very long dry period. Good luck!
    momrek06 likes this.
    Lynda

I'm in SoCal so I don't often get to see a Giants game, but today was special. Both the Giants (wildcard) and the Dodgers (division) are advancing to the playoffs!!

It was also Vin Scully's last game to call as an announcer for the Dodgers after 67 years. The Giant organization made me proud with the honors and recognition they gave to him throughout the game. I was watching on the LA Dodger station, so I got to hear his call and the reminisces about being a young boy in New York who grew up watching the Giants. He said that he could now officially root for the Giants to beat the Mets in the wildcard. Sorry, MFW, but we have Vin on our side.
    Punkin and Badseed like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

There is an organization in New York that is the "New York Giants Preservation Society". They meet in a Manhattan bar , with SF expats to watch the games. Many of the members come out her a few times a year to see 'their' Giants play and are treated royally by the club. I met some of them on a cruise that spent a couple of days in SF (we had to fly to LA to get on the boat ). The last few years that the Giants have won the WS, members of the organization and top current players as well as oldies like Willie Mays have brought the trophy back to New York to share with the fan base who grew up as NY Giants fans.

Classy team to give such respect to Vin Scully! Those two teams grew up together in New York and moved to California together. It's the classic rivalry. And I think we just snuck into a Wild Card! That's OK, we won the 2010 WS out of a wild card placement! Go Giants!!!
    Lynda

way too close to moose, black bears and other country critters

After finishing in the cellar two years in a row, The Boston Red Sox won their division. For 86 years the Red Sox were legendary for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory-in every heartbreaking, shocking way possible. Always one game away from winning the world series. Then 2004 happened.
    My heart belongs to The Red Sox, but I'm rooting for the Chicago Cubs this year. You've had a lousy century. I'd love to see them win the World Series-against the Sox. The two biggest heartbreak teams in Baseball.
    Before The Red Sox finally brought home the title in 2004, there was a great joke (I think Stephen King said it): If The Cubs and the Red Sox played each other in the World Series neither team would win.
    LoL
    momrek06 and sueb1961 like this.
    Well, I won't back down/No I won't back down/You can stand me up at the gates of hell/But I won't back down
    No I'll stand my ground//And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down/Gonna stand my ground/Well I know what's right/I got just one life/In a world that keeps on pushin' me around/But I'll stand my ground/And I won't back down-Tom Petty

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    After finishing in the cellar two years in a row, The Boston Red Sox won their division. For 86 years the Red Sox were legendary for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory-in every heartbreaking, shocking way possible. Always one game away from winning the world series. Then 2004 happened.
    My heart belongs to The Red Sox, but I'm rooting for the Chicago Cubs this year. You've had a lousy century. I'd love to see them win the World Series-against the Sox. The two biggest heartbreak teams in Baseball.
    Before The Red Sox finally brought home the title in 2004, there was a great joke (I think Stephen King said it): If The Cubs and the Red Sox played each other in the World Series neither team would win.
    LoL
    That's nice, redsox girl, that you are rooting for the CUBS!!!

While I absolutely agree that they sooooooo need to win the WS ..... this is our Big Papi's final year and I would love to see his final year with the MLB to win a WS!!!

KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    this is our Big Papi's final year and I would love to see his final year with the MLB to win a WS!!!
    Agree, but I think he's emotionally drained from his retirement celebrations. I think the RedSox organization did him a disservice by such arranging for such an extensive final solute to him, just before a game we needed to win to get homefield advantage in the playoffs. They could have saved a chunk of it for when his number is retired next spring.

Hate that the wild card is 1 game, but that was an exciting game to watch last night!!! Go Toronto Go!!

Giants and Mets are today (10/5) at 5PM/8PM. Should be a good one.
    Punkin likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Giants and Mets are today (10/5) at 5PM/8PM. Should be a good one.
    Good pitching matchup!

+ Reply to Thread