+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By psucashcow

Thread: Golf

Golf

There doesn't seem to be much interest here in this sport, but it's one of my favorites so I thought I'd put up a new thread for anyone else who is a fan.

I'll start with the President's Cup, which just ended. It was marvelous and was not decided until the last match. It's match play, not stroke play, which we don't see enough of. This tournament has been around only 11 years. It's the U.S. versus an International team selected, like the Ryder Cup, from players who have had the best season plus two captain's pick. It's been won 9 times the us U.S, once by the Internationals, and tied once. Golf is still a "gentleman's game" and is completely different from course to course, hole to hole, and day to day. Any one can win on a given day.

I had a fantastic weekend of watching. I plan to post things that happen in the sport, but it there's no interest, I'll let the thread die.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Re: Golf

I did watch many of the matches and enjoyed much of the action. Unfortunately Ricky Fowler had a crappy last match vs. Adam Scott and Jordan Spieth didn't deliver on his #1 ranking. Great to see Bill Haas and Mickelson deliver as Captain's picks.
    Florimel likes this.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

I think the Americans get to fat & happy playing for multi - million $$$ checks every week to forget what being a team player is all about. Bubba Watson...give me a break!

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    I think the Americans get to fat & happy playing for multi - million $$$ checks every week to forget what being a team player is all about. Bubba Watson...give me a break!
    I would tend to agree. They are almost happy playing for second or top ten because they still cash big checks. I think this especially applies to the LPGA American women...when they play for gold in Rio, I'm betting the women's winner will be from either Korea, China, or Japan or New Zealand if Lydia Ko is playing.

I think the Internationals are doing okay. The tournament is only 11 years old as compared to how long for the Ryder cup.
    Jordan Spieth, whom I love, had two good days, but a disappointing tournament. But that's what I love about golf. No one is going to be great every match and anyone can have a great match. Even an amateur can have a super shot. And you can play all your life.

Phil Mickelson was superb.

In addition, the Internationals acce language and culture differences across the board that the American and Europeans don't have do deal with. I'm glad they are going back to the short putter.

I think all professional athletes are way overpaid, hardly just golfers, at least in the major sports, and it's expensive to build a golf course.
    Last edited by Florimel; 10-15-2015 at 07:57 PM.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

[B]ANA Tournament-Lexi Thompson
    After how the LPGA handled the situation arising from a spectator contacting them to advise them that Lexi did not correctly place her ball back on the green in the same spot as her mark indicated during her 3rd round play, the LPGA better appoint spotters with each group to provide real time feedback as to who is not doing what and punish them immediately. Not punish a golfer who was probably one of several leaders who the Golf Channel followed whom a fan then observed a flawed marker placement while viewing a replay after the end of the 3rd round. Immediate punishment based on LPGA observers/rules officials would have avoided the 2nd 2 stroke penalty. Very badly handled

+ Reply to Thread