+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Espy awards

I see what you did there Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar

Espy awards

Here are the specifics on the broadcast and a list of nominees:

When: "2015 ESPYs Countdown" will air at 6 p.m. (CT). The ESPYs awards ceremony will air beginning at 7 p.m.

What channel: The pre-show will be broadcast on ESPN, or you can see it online via Watch ESPN. ABC will air the awards ceremony. On DirecTV, ESPN is channel 206; on Dish Network ESPN is channel 142; on ATT U-verse, it's 602.

Where is it live streaming: If you can't get to ABC on TV, you can see the live stream at ABC.com, Watch ESPN or by using the Watch ESPN app for tablets and mobile devices.

Who is hosting: Actor and comedian Joel McHale will host the ceremony. McHale, who stars on "The Soup," and in "Community," recently served as the host of the 2011 Independent Spirit Awards.

Special Awards: As mentioned, Caitlyn Jenner will be getting the Arthur Ashe Courage Award; Leah Still will be getting the Jim Valvano Perseverance Award; A special award will be presented posthumously to Lauren Hill, the young basketball player who lost her life in April to a rare form of cancer; Danielle Green will receive the Pat Tillman Award.

(click the link for full list of nominees and categories)
    ESPY Awards 2015: What time, channel, live stream info, who is nominated? | AL.com
    Jax likes this.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Jax

Re: Espy awards

I only watched parts of this. I watched mostly to see Caitlyn. I would not have missed that for anything.
    "The poster formerly known as jaytwo" - per pikachu
    FORT 2015 Yearbook Title:
    Jax Of All Trades With The Cutest Avatar Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    I only watched parts of this. I watched mostly to see Caitlyn. I would not have missed that for anything.
    I must admit that Caitlyn's experience has changed my opinion of Kim & most of the Kardashian clan for the better. I never had any use for any of them & they filled me with utter disgust at their self centeredness & tasteless exhibitionism. But Caitlyn has repeatedly referenced (including at the ESPY's) the support & encouragement she has received, especially from Kim & Kanye. Who'd of thought?

I was happy to see her receive the Arthur Ashe Courage award. Her experience & decisions took a tremendous amount of courage from a huge sports star.
    PWS likes this.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

I see what you did there Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar

The whole show was fantastic! I cried so many times, I can't even put it into words. I loved Caitlyn, absolutely beautiful.

BUT..I must say, my girl, Ronda Rousey was the one who actually made me tune in! Wanted to see her take the "Best Female Athlete of the Year".

I'm an avid fan of hers and LOVE that she beat out Serena Williams. Not that I dislike Serena, I just love Ronda!! The best thing about her last night was this..

Ronda Rousey Calls Out Known Domestic Abuser Floyd Mayweather After Winning 'Best Fighter' At ESPYS
    Jax likes this.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Jax

That part was good too. And even though I didn't watch the soccer games, it was cool to watch the women's team win. I also got teary when Nate Ruess sang Moment in memory of those lost this year.

FORT Fogey

My favorite part of the show was the rememberance of Lauren Hill. I was really taken by her parents greeting Urban Meyer and LeBron James as they walked to the stage. It showed me the support teams all around Ohio showed to her was sincere and not lip service.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno View Post
    The whole show was fantastic! I cried so many times, I can't even put it into words. I loved Caitlyn, absolutely beautiful.

BUT..I must say, my girl, Ronda Rousey was the one who actually made me tune in! Wanted to see her take the "Best Female Athlete of the Year".

I'm an avid fan of hers and LOVE that she beat out Serena Williams. Not that I dislike Serena, I just love Ronda!! The best thing about her last night was this..

Ronda Rousey Calls Out Known Domestic Abuser Floyd Mayweather After Winning 'Best Fighter' At ESPYS
    Did you read the profile of RR in Rolling Stone a few issues ago? Really good.

I only watched a little of the show last night. I switched over to watch Suits after watching the majority of the first hour and then, when I changed back to the ESPYs, it was right before Caitlyn's award. Very happy to have seen that. I'm pretty disgusted by some of the negativity and nastiness I've read this morning about her though. I'll never understand why people enjoy saying such horrid things about someone they don't even know. I guess it's (mostly) born out of ignorance and fear. Good on Caitlyn for just doing her thing. I was pleased for her that all of her kids showed up for her. Cute pics of the kids all together backstage too.

I also read complaints about her getting the Arthur Ashe award instead of someone like Noah Galloway. Is he an athlete? I know he models and I watched him on DWTS. It seems to me that the Pat Tillman Award would have been more fitting for him, although the woman who won certainly seemed deserving. I've read comments that Caitlyn isn't a hero and that Noah is. Why is there only one definition of "hero"? Also, the AA award is given to someone who transcends sports. The last two recipients (before this year) were Michael Sam and Robin Roberts.

I applaud the athletes and their accomplishments, but I don't enjoy watching them read awkwardly from teleprompters. The whole notion of this awards show just strikes me as weird. It's like having a performing arts awards show where actors, dancers and singers all compete against each other in the same categories. Maybe I couldn't get as into the show because I didn't know who half of those people - especially the NFL and NBA players (and the MLB players, if I'm being honest) - are!
    Maveno, AmyKay and mushybrain like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I watched bits and pieces yesterday. I tapped out after the Lauren Hill thing, so moving!

I like that Ronda won too. I love that she stuck it to Mayweather, I dont like him

I totally agree about the "hero" thing. I don't think Noah deserved an Espy, but I was hoping Lauren would have gotten the Arthur Ashe award. I don't mind it going to Caitlyn as that is an issue that needs awareness and support. Its said the stories I have heard from behind the scenes of some of the comments from other athletes regarding Caitlyn. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but still. Of course the "plastic circus" came along, THEY support Caitlyn. those naysayers can learn something about unconditional love from it.

I know some of the big name sports stars, but most of the people mentioned I have at least heard about. Im not too big into sports.
    "Alot of people when they listen, they don't listen. They hear but they don't listen to what the person is saying. " Boston Rob (Mariano)
    Thanks pikachu for the avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I only watched a little of the show last night. I switched over to watch Suits after watching the majority of the first hour and then, when I changed back to the ESPYs, it was right before Caitlyn's award. Very happy to have seen that. I'm pretty disgusted by some of the negativity and nastiness I've read this morning about her though. I'll never understand why people enjoy saying such horrid things about someone they don't even know. I guess it's (mostly) born out of ignorance and fear. Good on Caitlyn for just doing her thing. I was pleased for her that all of her kids showed up for her. Cute pics of the kids all together backstage too.

I also read complaints about her getting the Arthur Ashe award instead of someone like Noah Galloway. Is he an athlete? I know he models and I watched him on DWTS. It seems to me that the Pat Tillman Award would have been more fitting for him, although the woman who won certainly seemed deserving. I've read comments that Caitlyn isn't a hero and that Noah is. Why is there only one definition of "hero"? Also, the AA award is given to someone who transcends sports. The last two recipients (before this year) were Michael Sam and Robin Roberts.
    I am really irritated by all the criticisms and the complaining Facebook posts I am seeing about Caitlyn Jenner getting a courage award. Courage comes in many faces and forms. Why is it necessary to compare the degree of its worthiness? Why can't we just appreciate and honor all forms of courage that inspire and help others, even the kind some people don't fully understand? Sheesh.
    AmyKay likes this.
    "Everything you do matters. Every moment, every decision you make it affects the people around you it changes the world in a million imperceptible ways. No matter what your reality, you can make it better." -- Richard Castle

Jax

.....and to all of the people out there that said "______________(fill in the blank) should have gotten the Arthur Ashe award": There is always next year. It is just one year in the life of that award. Just shocks me that people couldn't be more gracious about it, especially when saying that someone else should have received it.
    mushybrain likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast