+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sosa Uses Corked Bat

Sosa Uses Corked Bat

Tuesday, June 3

Sosa ejected after cork is found in shattered bat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

CHICAGO -- Chicago Cubs star Sammy Sosa was ejected in the first inning of Tuesday night's game against Tampa Bay right when umpires found cork in his shattered bat.

ESPN's Harold Reynolds reports -- after talking to a a representative in the Cubs public relations department -- that Sosa will admit in his postgame presser that the bat he used tonight was corked.

Sosa will say the bat is usually used in home run hitting exhibitions but somehow it got mixed in with his game bats. He says he has never used a corked bat in a major league game before tonight.

The Cubs had runners at second and third when Sosa broke his bat with a grounder to second that at first appeared to drive in a run.

But crew chief Tim McClelland gathered with the other three umpires to examine the bat. Cubs manager Dusty Baker came out and the umpires showed the bat to him.

Mark Grudzielanek was sent back to third base, the run was wiped off the board and Sosa was ejected as he stood in the dugout.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Holy smokes!

He says he has never used a corked bat in a major league game before tonight.
    Well that's an easy thing to say.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

Well this is interesting! Thanks for the post, Bill. I'm just hearing about it on ESPN.
    Who shot who in the what now?

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Oh no!

Thanks for posting Bill. This is so troubling though.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Wow! That's BIG news... thanks!

/heading to ESPN.com
    ~M o s a i K~

Never used it before tonight, huh?

Sadly, I'm sure he's far from the only one. I really like Sammy though.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

I like Sammy but I don't believe the bats got mixed up, I'm sure he and others use corked bats from time to time (hoping they don't break obviously!)

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    QUESTION- Does this destroy his credibility? Are all the records that he has set in the past 5 or 6 years- even his career, now tainted?

This is ridiculous- i find it hard to believe that this is a one time thing. I believe that this does destroy his credibility... and his excuse that he picked up his batting practice bat by mistake- c'mon, LAMEO, b/c it is so important to hit mammoth home runs during batting practice? He got caught and rather then admitting his mistake he is offering only excuses...

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I don't know...watching his reaction when his bat broke I think it's legit.

I saw clips of other cork users from on ESPN this morning and they all did exactly what you would expect....they grabbed the broken bat and headed to the dugout.

Sammy sprinting to first base instead on what I understand was clearly a foul ball (someone can confirm) isn't the reaction I would expect from someone who knew they were using an illegal bat.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I know this is a big story and everything, but I was a little irked that the highlights of other games got short-changed on Baseball Tonight last night. It's the opening night of interleague play, for goodness' sake! Brand-new matchups we've never seen before! Do we need to devote the entire half-hour to Sosa's broken bat?! I don't tune in to that show to hear the grinning death's head Bobby Valentine and the walking corpse Peter Gammons debate what's illegal and what's not. I want to see highlights!

Waaaahhh!!!
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast