+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sosa Uses Corked Bat

He appealed his 8 game suspension, trying to get it reduced. That is what I was referring to. I didn't say that he was blaming anyone else for the mistake.

Metallica Fanatic breathless4975's Avatar
    Originally posted by glennajo
    He appealed his 8 game suspension, trying to get it reduced. That is what I was referring to. I didn't say that he was blaming anyone else for the mistake.
    I think the appeal is pretty much a standard thing to do plus they needed him to be able to play against the Yankees this weekend and if he hadn't appealed it is my understanding that he wouldn't have been eligible for the series.
    It's a shame that this will forever be a black mark on his career. I think Sammy is the best thing to happen to baseball in a long time. We need Sammy in baseball!!
    Mistakes happen to everyone and I hope we can just get over it and leave him alone. He's very ashamed of this and he is a very proud person. He needs his fans to stay behind him and I am one of his biggest fans and intend to back him no matter what happens. None of his other bats were corked and I don't believe for one minute that he deliberately cheated in this game.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. - Albert Schweitzer

The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed.

If I accept the sunshine and warmth, then I must also accept the thunder and lightening.

His appeal, from what I read, was to have his penalty be more in line with past bat tampering penalties. My understanding is that the penalty was the highest imposed without having an arbitration board become involved, but at least a game or two higher than previous penalties for bat tampering. He also had to appeal the penalty before the start of the next series of games if he was going to appeal at all.

Doesn't sound to me like he's trying to get out of paying his price, but rather paying a fair price rather than being made the example.

It is pretty much standard to appeal. Heck, they were talking about his appeal before he was even handed the suspension. They needed him for the Yankee series.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Metallica Fanatic breathless4975's Avatar
    I'm sure glad he got to play in the series.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. - Albert Schweitzer

The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed.

If I accept the sunshine and warmth, then I must also accept the thunder and lightening.

I stand corrected.

Sammy says that he appealled because of his penalty being too high. Cynical me notes that he was given the average punishment for this type of incident, that perhaps the Yankees in town had a lot more to do with the appeal.

--------------------
    From ESPN.com
    The list of punishments handed down since 1970:

THE OFFENDERS

Sammy Sosa, Cubs June 3, 2003 Eight games Corked bat
    Wilton Guerrero, Dodgers June 1, 1997 Eight games Corked bat
    Chris Sabo, Reds July 29, 1996 Seven games Corked bat
    Albert Belle, Indians July 15, 1994 Seven games Corked bat
    Billy Hatcher, Astros Aug. 31, 1987 10 days Corked bat
    Graig Nettles, Yankees Sept. 7, 1974-x No suspension Super balls in bat

x-On Sept. 7, 1974, the Yankees' Graig Nettles hit a home run against the Detroit Tigers. The next time up, he hit a broken-bat single. Tigers catcher Bill Freehan scrambled for the six superballs that came bouncing out. "I didn't know there was anything wrong with the bat," Nettles said after the game. "That was the first time I used it. Some Yankees fan in Chicago gave it to me and said it would bring me good luck. There's no brand name on it or anything. Maybe the guy made it himself. It had been in the bat rack, and I picked it up by mistake, because it looked like the bat I had been using the last few days." Nettles was called out on the single, but his solo homer was allowed and that made all the difference as the Yankees won 1-0.

After retiring in 1984, Royals star Amos Otis, a five-time All-Star who hit 193 career home runs, admitted that he used a funky bat much of his career. "I had enough cork and superballs in there to blow away anything," he said. "I had a very close friend who made the bats for me. He'd drill a hole down the barrel and stuff some superballs and cork in it. Then he put some sawdust back into the hole, sandpapered it down and added a little pine tar over the top of it. The bat looked brand new."

In 2001, Jose Guillen served a 10-game suspension for using a corked bat during a minor-league rehabilitation assignment with the Devil Rays' Triple-A team in Durham. "It was my bat," Guillen said. "I have paid for my mistake. I wasn't the first one and I probably won't be the last one. It's over, I've paid my fine, I've gotten my suspension, now I think I have to get over that stuff."

White Sox catcher Miguel Olivo was suspended for six games in 2001 from the Double-A Birmingham Barons for a corked bat.

By his own account, Tigers first baseman Norm Cash used a corked bat during the 1961 season, a breakout year he never came close to duplicating. In '61, Cash led the AL in batting with a .361 average, hit 41 homers and drove in 132 runs. After he retired, he demonstrated for Sports Illustrated how he doctored his bat by drilling an eight-inch hole in the barrel, filling it with glue, cork and sawdust.
    ----------------------------
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I thikn that too, Bill. But don't you think the reason for being in the series was more of a management issue than personal? I would bet Sammy did not have a choice of whether to appeal or not and was likely told he had to.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

In the end, it is his choice alone, but I don't doubt he was "advised" to appeal.

Appeals in baseball are almost automatic nowadays. The player appeals, waits to see the Padres or Tigers on the schedule, and then suddenly drops the appeal as soon as they get to those games.

It's hard being a Padre fan.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

I think the reason the suspension was so high is that he admitted that he had a corked bat. No other player in the majors that got caught admitted that it was his bat or that he corked it.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast