+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sosa Uses Corked Bat

Originally posted by Bill_in_PDX
    ESPN is reporting that MLB inspected 76 of Sosa's bats from the stadium. They say that no other bats were found to be corked.

Let the conspiracy theories begin!
    Yeah, that is what I am afraid of, Bill. I have to believe him though. As far as I can tell--and aside from any times he is trying to get himself a better deal/more $$--he is a pretty stand up guy. He made himself available for questions immediately, he had a good answer with his "mistake" response, and he is repeatedly saying how sorry he is and taking responsibility. A far cry from lawsuit happy american's who sue over the fact that their coffee is hot.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

I was a little blown away today with this news. This, and the indictment of Martha on 9 felony counts, made for a good news day.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I was waiting for the news on the other bats.

If it's true that no other bats were corked I am almost completely convinced that this was just a mistake on his part.

I'm telling ya...the more I see the footage of him the more I am convinced of it. It's just not the actions of a guilty man.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I don't think he used that bat intentionally. I truly believe that it was his batting practice bat. He said that he likes to put on a show for the fans at practice. I don't think it was intentional. Bravofan said it well.

I would also say that I was proud of the way he acted when he talked about it. He blamed himself, didn't point the fingers at anyone else. This shows his character. I know that this doesn't prove him innocent or guilty, but it shows he has character.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    My previous analogy was based on the assumption (not mine) that Sammy was using a corked bat to break out of a slump induced by getting beaned in the head with a fastball... one has nothing to do with the other...
    Having spent two years myself living in wrigleyville, and walking to and sitting in the right field bleachers at the friendly confines, i appreciate Sammy's status among the faithful northsiders... but IMHO, there is a big story in there waiting to be told, that starts way back when he went from a 185 lb no power hitter to a 225 lb HR hitting machine virtually overnight... This is just another chapter...
    By the way- i totally agree that corking a bat only gives minimal gains in hitting (maybe a David Eckstein could find reasons to use a corked bat)- but it's still cheating- there is still intent to cheat. And if it was a batting practice bat it and he knew it was corked- how come the bat wasn't painted flourescent pink? AND it has been documented by Chicago sportswriters that Sammy doesn't even take batting practice before the games at Wrigley- so he wants to impress the road crowd??? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but I am not naive...

With Baseball's image problems and Sammy's good guy image, rest assured, in three weeks we will all have forgotten this ever took place- MLB big wigs will make sure of that... and that's not such a bad thing.
    Last edited by QuinntheEskimo; 06-04-2003 at 09:39 PM.

Sleeping with George W
    The fact that none of the other bats were corked means nothing. Nothing. It seems pretty simple to me. He used a corked bat. No one denies that. Using a corked bat is illegal. Why doesn't baseball just get on with it and serve up his medicine?

Quinn--

Got it now!

Former Northsider, huh? Cool. I am from Chicago originally, but live in Denver now.

I agree with you, Eden. Lets get on with it. Give him his suspension and let him serve it. He admitted he did wrong, made a mistake, etc. I find the fact that he has made himself available to the media, and accountable for his actions very honorable. No matter that MLB or his agent is putting their spin on it. Everyone spins!!! And I have no doubt-NO DOUBT!!-- that Sammy will never do something like this again. He learned his lesson. Which is more than we can say about a lot of folks with a high profile. How many times has former Pres. Clinton cheated on Hillary?? I lost count. How many times has Daryl Strawberry been arrested and sent to rehab? Again, I lost count. Rick James? Keeps beating his women. Same with James Brown.

Fact is, I have respect for people when they are accountable for their actions AND learn their lesson.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

People keep saying it was a practice bat, but from what I understand from the news stories, it was a bat he uses for home run exhibitions.

My opinion is that it was an honest mistake, but then again...I guess Sammy is the only person who will really know the truth on that.

I saw tonight on ESPN that people are making it about race now. They're saying that if Sosa were a white man, none of this would be an issue. I believe they commented (i'm paraphrasing) that if it were Mark McGwire, it would have been pretty much dropped and his story would be believed.:rolleyes Anybody in that situation, imo, would be facing the same consequences.

Whether mistake or not, he should take responsibility for the mistake and serve his suspension.

Originally posted by glennajo

Whether mistake or not, he should take responsibility for the mistake and serve his suspension.
    He is taking responsibility for the mistake. I have yet to see anything from him saying that anybody but he is to blame.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast