+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sosa Uses Corked Bat

They even dug up George Will (literally) for the late SportsCenter.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Sleeping with George W
    Sigh.

Why does he use a corked bat for batting practice? He's getting grooved 80 mph pitches for cripes sake. Why not just bring an aluminum bat and be done with it? Or at least label the durned thing ... name it CORKY or something.

I cannot believe all that will come of this is a suspension. This is an illegal act that has the potential of affecting the outcome of a game. I will be interested to see if his hitting percentage changes now once he's under scrutiny.

Why doesn't baseball just come out and admit it's a dirty, cheating sport with pitchers using tacks and vaselline, batters using steroids and corked bats, and whatever else is openly going on and be done with it. And let Pete Rose into the Hall of Fame while they're at it -- since they have yet to prove that his betting ever once affected a game's outcome. (Bill ... you just KNEW I'd have to work that in somehow

Originally posted by BravoFan
    I don't know...watching his reaction when his bat broke I think it's legit.

I saw clips of other cork users from on ESPN this morning and they all did exactly what you would expect....they grabbed the broken bat and headed to the dugout.

Sammy sprinting to first base instead on what I understand was clearly a foul ball (someone can confirm) isn't the reaction I would expect from someone who knew they were using an illegal bat.
    I think you raised a good point, BravoFan... but I still think his credibility has been shattered along with the bat.

Even if I were to accept the above, it would only prove to me that he has a corked bat in his rotation, and during this particular at-bat, he didn't know that he was actually batting with his corked bat. Simply having corked bats in your rotation is cheating, not to mention ridiculously stupid.

The league has taken all of his bats for analysis, although I have a feeling they may all come back suspiciously "clean" since the league may decide that it can't afford to have one of baseball's most popular commodities go down in flames...
    Last edited by Mosaik; 06-04-2003 at 02:35 PM.
    ~M o s a i K~

The real laugher is that everyone in town here in St.Louis and Chicago is acting like it's the end of the world. I don't see how this is going to be that detrimental to baseball, everyone has a corked bat or does steroids. Heck Gaylord Perry was throwing spitballs for years and everyone knew it, it took them 19 years to catch him. Any player that corks a bat is looking to get caught because sooner or later, it's going to break. Sosa's credibility make take a dent, but it's not ruined. It just proves he is human, not superhuman.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    baseball been bery bery good to me and my country, if not for baseball our cork industy would not be good at all.

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    the other thing that is troublesome about Sosa now- is that now that he has been proven to be a cheater, how far is he (or has he been) willing to go to hit home runs and please his fans (ultimately to sign the fat $$$ contract)- I Imagine it started out with steroids- nobody could prove he used steroids, and like a crack addict, he has progressed on to corking bats... if he didn't get caught- what's next?

whatever- he has sealed his own fate and is screwed no matter what- if he hits .200 the rest of the season- people will say he needed the cork bats- it he hits .350 with 50 HR's, then we'll all wonder how many of those HR's are coming with corked bats...

and if he is hitting badly then it has nothing to do with getting hit in the head with a pitch hard enough that it shattered his helmet and gave him a major concussion?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    No one likes to see anybody get hit hit in the head with a 90 mph fastball... probably the scariest thing in all of sports! however there is NO justification for using a corked bat- that's like me ramming my car into a telephone pole and then using heroin to make the pain go away...

Originally posted by QuinntheEskimo
    No one likes to see anybody get hit hit in the head with a 90 mph fastball... probably the scariest thing in all of sports! however there is NO justification for using a corked bat- that's like me ramming my car into a telephone pole and then using heroin to make the pain go away...
    Quinn--

That analogy makes absolutely no sense at all!

The fact is that corking a bat doesnt really help at all! People tend to think that "Oh, Cork is springy so the ball bounces off of it better and goes farther", but physics--yes science, not speculation--say that it helps increase bat speed, but it lowers the mass and inertia of the bat. Basically a zero sum gain. Basically, that means that a corked bat would help someone hit more singles, not monster home runs. Even so, most of Sammy's homers were monsters! Its not like they were barely going out of the park.

As far as the steroids go....perhaps he did use them, but I would say probably not. Steroid users tend to have a much higher incidence of injury...and Sammy has been a regular in the lineup for several years. Only taking occasional days off to rest. His recent stint on the DL was his first in a long time. And that was for a bad big toenail. Why didn't he submit to a steroids test when asked publicly by SI guy(cant remember his name)? Probably for the same reason many people get pissed off when the airport security wants to go through their luggage, or my friend(who is not a drug user whatsoever) gets pissed off when he finds out his company now requires random drug testing....HIS PERSONAL PRIVACY!

Yes, I am very upset to find out Sosa has a corked bat. Devastated is more like it. Especially considering that the cork doesnt really help. However, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt....I dont think they will find cork in any of the other Sosa bats that were confiscated(Unlike with Albert Belle, who didnt have one bat that WASNT corked!). If they do, I will be even more devastated.

Diehard Cubs Fan
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

ESPN is reporting that MLB inspected 76 of Sosa's bats from the stadium. They say that no other bats were found to be corked.

Let the conspiracy theories begin!
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast