+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Deflate Gate

Deflate Gate

So looks like where there is smoke there are the Patriots yet again. Lets see if the NFL has the balls lol to suspend Brady for at least 4 games maybe more. Especially in light of all the protocol they have for new draft picks not to have any character flaws. Well Brady and the Patriots seem to get caught with their flawed character all the time.
    Punkin, Florimel and redsox girl like this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Anachronism before Noon Cat Bowling Champion Anemic Dog's Avatar

Re: Deflate Gate

There were comments when this "investigation" began that every quarterback took an interest in how the football were prepared. What's lacking from this report is any instruction whatsoever to deflate the footballs below 12.5 psi. It only indicates that Brady, more probably than not, wanted less-inflated footballs. Aaron Rodgers has said he likes footballs as inflated as possible - above the maximum of 13.5 psi if possible.

The NFL has always left the question of legal football use to the referee. Whatever he approves at the start of each play is considered a legal football. I'd imagine there will be changes to this procedure for the 2015 season, but it seems beyond ludicrous to suggest that Brady is the only NFL quarterback who cares about the inflation level of the football.

Any talk of suspension or the Patriots being this horrible cheating team seems like jealousy to me. The Patriots have the most successful franchise of the cap era, and because of that, they are, by far, the most disliked group in the league.

There's no smoking gun here.
    redsox girl and momrek06 like this.
    Passing over to the Dark Side

FORT Fogey

So the NFl would be jealous of the Pats??-----don't see how that emotion would play into punishment given out by the NFL.
    mesachick and Jax like this.

Jax

So far I do not think there is enough proof for them to hand out any kind of punishments anyway. It is all speculation, which truly does make them appear all guilty, but without a smoking gun, there is not going to be much they can do, IMO.
    momrek06 likes this.
    "The poster formerly known as jaytwo" - per pikachu
    FORT 2015 Yearbook Title:
    Jax Of All Trades With The Cutest Avatar Ever

FORT Fogey

Based on the evidence they have, I think the only action that can be prescribed with certainty is to change the procedure of handling the balls once the officials have them. This shines a light on the need for the NFL to take possession of the balls and then allow no access other than on the field by either team. OR, change the rule so the NFL provides the balls and both teams use the same ones. The circumstantial evidence does not look good for Brady specifically and the Patriots as a team. But punishments should not be handed down on circumstantial evidence and suspicions.
    redsox girl likes this.

Oh they are going to be fined and Brady will miss some games I just don't see how they don't do it without looking partial to their pet pony!
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Anemic Dog View Post
    There were comments when this "investigation" began that every quarterback took an interest in how the football were prepared. What's lacking from this report is any instruction whatsoever to deflate the footballs below 12.5 psi. It only indicates that Brady, more probably than not, wanted less-inflated footballs. Aaron Rodgers has said he likes footballs as inflated as possible - above the maximum of 13.5 psi if possible.

The NFL has always left the question of legal football use to the referee. Whatever he approves at the start of each play is considered a legal football. I'd imagine there will be changes to this procedure for the 2015 season, but it seems beyond ludicrous to suggest that Brady is the only NFL quarterback who cares about the inflation level of the football.

Any talk of suspension or the Patriots being this horrible cheating team seems like jealousy to me. The Patriots have the most successful franchise of the cap era, and because of that, they are, by far, the most disliked group in the league.

There's no smoking gun here.

While I am well aware that every team is looking for an edge, the Pats have been called out by the NFL after investigations into questionable behavior. Where there is smoke in this case they obviously have come to the conclusion that, once again, there is fire. I am not surprised. This is the same team that was called out on "spygate". Here is my problem, especially with the part I bolded, they are obviously a very good team and should not need to "cheat" or "push the line" to win. They don't need to do this. Hence, this all tells me that this organization has a serious integrity problem. I don't care why other people don't like them or if the diehards want to call it jealousy, when a team gets caught "outside the lines" they need to be held accountable. It doesn't matter if they are the best or the worst, teams should be held to the standard set by the league. They should not get a pass just because they are a good team with an arrogant swagger.
    Punkin, Florimel and sueb1961 like this.

I totally agree especially since they apparently hold the new draft picks to higher integrity standards than they due Tom Brady!how many of them dropped to the second round and loss millions in income because if character issues not involving football. Brady meanwhile is on a team that has been caught and fined before for conduct. If he is not suspended for this there is a clear problem for me with this.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Anachronism before Noon Cat Bowling Champion Anemic Dog's Avatar

Except no wrong-doing has been shown. Just a likelihood that Brady instructed the equipment people that he, like every other quarterback in the league, has preferences with regard to football preparation.

If there were some sort of smoking gun here - some indication that Brady wanted illegally under-inflated footballs - then I'd be in favor of a penalty. This is a fairly benign report boosted by the chorus of fans and rivals who are tired of losing to the Patriots.
    momrek06 likes this.
    Passing over to the Dark Side

way too close to moose, black bears and other country critters
    Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    Oh they are going to be fined and Brady will miss some games I just don't see how they don't do it without looking partial to their pet pony!
    Pet Pony lol They have babysat Aaron Rodgers, God, every team cheats-I would say they are using Brady as an example, otherwise ever team would ne in the news (they aren't despite all kinds of cheating) Did Brady cheat? Yes. He will be punished. But, all the other teams who have cheated? Nope.
    Cheating is wrong. Too bad only some treams are held accountable. THat's my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker View Post
    While I am well aware that every team is looking for an edge, the Pats have been called out by the NFL after investigations into questionable behavior. Where there is smoke in this case they obviously have come to the conclusion that, once again, there is fire. I am not surprised. This is the same team that was called out on "spygate". Here is my problem, especially with the part I bolded, they are obviously a very good team and should not need to "cheat" or "push the line" to win. They don't need to do this. Hence, this all tells me that this organization has a serious integrity problem. I don't care why other people don't like them or if the diehards want to call it jealousy, when a team gets caught "outside the lines" they need to be held accountable. It doesn't matter if they are the best or the worst, teams should be held to the standard set by the league. They should not get a pass just because they are a good team with an arrogant swagger.
    Call out every team then. There's a great bit of research out there detailing how every NFL team cheated in one way or another during the past season. If Brasdy is punished (and he should be) apply that to the other teams, as well.

Anemic Dog, I think you are right. Oh my gosh, we agree on something finally I absolutely believe cheaters should be punished-and you are so right about cheating being rampant-The NFl is definitely absolutely focusing on The Patriots while ignoring The Seahawks, The Falcons and the colts, to name but a few. It's a dirty game filled with constant cheating to gain an edge. The media isn't interested in loser teams, though -they are interested in this because The Pats are hated and they know it creates buzz for a news story. I mean, no one is going to read about or care about what the Falcons have done to get by because they aren't successful.
    Punish cheaters. Absolutely. But, punish and publicize the cheating committed by every team.. As for the media-they need to make it a point of reporting every team and player who cheated, otherwise this story is simply designed to rile up Patriots haters.
    Then again, if the NFL took cheating seriously, imposing meaningful penalties the 2015-16 football season would be canceled because there wouldn't be any teams eligible to play-I'm exaggerating the last part for fun, but it's not stretching it by much.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    Ooh, I responded to your post and it sounds snarky-I didn't mean to sound that way, MsDiva2007. I'm sorry. I tried to edit using better word choices but I was too late to edit it for posting. Sorry again.
    I understand where you are coming from in your comment. I was trying to articulate that cheating overall is a huge, unchecked problem in The NFL and I wish the media would cover it more evenly.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 05-08-2015 at 01:54 PM.
    Donny Thompson. " I want to leave a smile on everyone's face."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast