+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree212Likes

Thread: Deflate Gate

FORT Fogey

Re: Deflate Gate

So the league knows they are the biggest cheaters (being the only ones they investigate) but they still treat the Pats as the pet pony that gets any rule change they ask for? If that's the case, you'd think Brady would just tell the league to lower the required pressure and then it wouldn't be cheating. Either that, or some of the things being said about the Pats are inconsistent and untrue.
    redsox girl and gunbunny like this.

Brady will be suspended.
    I am one step away from being rich. All I need now is money

FORT Fogey

I don't think he will get a suspension. The language in the report is a little too general about his role in all this. The team, however, will be punished.

I was taken aback by the sentence that says that even in the presence of his lawyer, Brady refused to allow his phone to be seached. I am guessing that there wasn't a court order or anything, just the request by the league.That tells me more about his guilt than anything else.
    NCLurker and Photobabe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    I don't think he will get a suspension. The language in the report is a little too general about his role in all this. The team, however, will be punished.

I was taken aback by the sentence that says that even in the presence of his lawyer, Brady refused to allow his phone to be seached. I am guessing that there wasn't a court order or anything, just the request by the league.That tells me more about his guilt than anything else.
    The language in the report is the language required by the NFL to take action. It is how they word it so he used their language in his report. Look it up. It has to clearly state it is more probable than not.
    Legal burden of proof - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

More probable than not is nothing more than another way to say a preponderance of evidence.
    Last edited by MsDiva2007; 05-09-2015 at 11:10 AM.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey

thank you...I did not know that. I just saw that FOX released a report that there will be a suspension announced next week.

Of couse, I am aware that lots of these reports are sometime more imagination than fact in the hope of having a "scoop". Mentioned was the fact that Brady not giving up his phone as being particularly. upsetting to the NFL
    Last edited by ibot2much; 05-09-2015 at 03:32 PM.

Anemic Dog

It does seem that there are a preponderance of unnamed NFL sources who claim Brady will receive a suspension.

If so, my guess is that the footballs were altered immediately before the game or after the game started. The NFL rule:

"The Referee shall be the sole judge as to whether all balls offered for play comply with these specifications. A pump is to be furnished by the home club, and the balls shall remain under the supervision of the Referee until they are delivered to the ball attendant just prior to the start of the game."

New England could initially give the Referee a sack of hockey pucks, and it wouldn't be against the rules. But if Brady asked the equipment guy to mess with the footballs after they were checked by the Referee and delivered to the ball attendant, not a good idea.

Evidence that Brady talked to the equipment people about footballs isn't evidence of a problem. I think this case needs evidence that Brady directed action after the Referee delivered the game balls.
    redsox girl and gunbunny like this.

way too close to moose, black bears and other country critters

After Deflategate, here’s how NFL must change its rules - Sports - The Boston Globe

It seems unlikely much will happen with, for lack of a better term, the Brady-Manning Rule, the 2006 rule Brady and Peyton Manning lobbied the league’s Competition Committee to pass, allowing quarterbacks to doctor footballs to their liking for games.

It’s a quarterback-driven league; part of Manning’s argument for why he and his fellow passers should be allowed to work over the footballs was the fear of a potential game-winning pass skipping off the turf because it was slick and slipped out of the quarterback’s hand.

Before the change, home teams supplied all of the footballs used in a game, and they were fresh-out-of-the-box, slick balls that quarterbacks hate.

Now, quarterbacks and their team’s equipment workers can beat up the balls during the week, scuffing them, dirtying them, getting them to the quarterback’s liking.

The only real requirement the league has is that game balls are between 12.5 and 13.5 pounds per square inch of pressure.

And therein is where the rule changes, if any, should begin.
    Last edited by redsox girl; 05-09-2015 at 03:56 PM.
    gunbunny likes this.

I mean who benefits from the deflated balls? I mean other than the player who lobbied in the first place to get the balls the way that he likes them? Coincidence that this rule was changed for the NFL 's two favorites? Another coincidence that the one who says he likes the balls a certain way is also on the team who just coincidentally had all of their balls deflated to his liking.

Brady asked for the access to the football he gets it. Brady asks for the tuck rule he gets that. Brady asks for flags in game he gets them called. The competition committee seems to be all about making rules for Brady & Manning.

I look forward to finding out how long he will get for suspension I say at least 4 games. he's lucky Pete Rose got a lifetime ban for cheating!
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Anemic Dog

(eyes rolling)

Yes, Brady, just before he was drafted in the sixth round in 1999, somehow persuaded the NFL rules committee to institute the Tuck Rule, knowing that almost three years later, he would be involved in one of the strangest referee calls in NFL playoff history.

He had even forgotten about his rule at the time, walking off the field and heading for the bench. But, privilege prevailed and the call was reversed when the Commissioner himself intervened and reminded the referee that Brady would someday marry a supermodel and win four Super Bowls.

There's certainly a bloodlust surrounding Brady. I think that's why the NFL "sources" are floating rumors of long suspensions. They want to see if the media and the fans who are tired of seeing Brady win all the time will embrace this. They, more probably than not, will. Burn Him!

way too close to moose, black bears and other country critters

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    I mean who benefits from the deflated balls? I mean other than the player who lobbied in the first place to get the balls the way that he likes them? Coincidence that this rule was changed for the NFL 's two favorites? Another coincidence that the one who says he likes the balls a certain way is also on the team who just coincidentally had all of their balls deflated to his liking.

Brady asked for the access to the football he gets it. Brady asks for the tuck rule he gets that. Brady asks for flags in game he gets them called. The competition committee seems to be all about making rules for Brady & Manning.

I understand. I am a Pats fan and I don't like Brady. I don't think the report is particularly solid. Not because I don't think anything happened, but because, as with most legal documents it takes too long to say too little in reaching a unclear conclusion. Deluded Pats fans are going to defend Brady. Someone like me, in the middle, is frustrated because the report won't change anyone's minds. He deserves a suspension-but I would like it to fit the crime. The crime is more than likely directing someone to deflate the football. Is that punishable with a years suspension? No. A few games, yes. Oh, I don't know. Why not a year. Someone should be made an example of and why not him? I just want there to be an objective punishment based on fact-rather than reaction. I want cheaters punished no matter who they play for. Including my team. My anger at Brady has more to do with him tarnishing the accomplishments of innocent teammates like Butler and how his decisions, if true (and again that wish washy legal speak doesn't do any good) hurt the fans, like my Dad and husband who've rooted for this team since their inception back in the 1960's when no one but a few people cared. I agree with you on much of what you point out-there is favoritism to some degree. But, I feel so bad for my Dad and Scott-my heart keeps going back to them and remembering how excited they were this past year to see the Pats win. So, I get a little chocked up in my responses because I'm thinking about them, what watching this season in particular meant to us as a family and how frustrated I am that maybe Brady cheated (and again I don't like him) and how he let down so many people if he did.
    I just don't understand why Brady, or anyone with a gift, needs to cheat. And I wish these NFL reports weren't so wishy washy. And if this is all true I don't want to see Brady get a light sentence while the two guys who deflated the balls get all the heat.
    I hope you know I am not arguing with you-I was trying to figure out cheating as a whole when I made my original comments. AS a sports fan from childhood I still fee; let down by cheating and I so wanted to believe Brady wouldn't do something so lame. Well, if he gets suspended at least I get to look at the back-up quarterback-Garoppolo-he looked good last year at practice when we went. And he's cute

I look forward to finding out how long he will get for suspension I say at least 4 games. he's lucky Pete Rose got a lifetime ban for cheating!
    I understand. I am a Pats fan and I don't like Brady. I don't think the report is particularly solid. Not because I don't think anything happened, but because, as with most legal documents it takes too long to say too little in reaching a unclear conclusion. Deluded Pats fans are going to defend Brady. Someone like me, in the middle, is frustrated because the report won't change anyone's minds. He deserves a suspension-but I would like it to fit the crime. The crime is more than likely directing someone to deflate the football. Is that punishable with a years suspension? No. A few games, yes. Oh, I don't know. Why not a year. Someone should be made an example of and why not him? I just want there to be an objective punishment based on fact-rather than reaction. I want cheaters punished no matter who they play for. Including my team. My anger at Brady has more to do with him tarnishing the accomplishments of innocent teammates like Butler and how his decisions, if true (and again that wish washy legal speak doesn't do any good) hurt the fans, like my Dad and husband who've rooted for this team since their inception back in the 1960's when no one but a few people cared. I agree with you on much of what you point out-there is favoritism to some degree. But, I feel so bad for my Dad and Scott-my heart keeps going back to them and remembering how excited they were this past year to see the Pats win. So, I get a little chocked up in my responses because I'm thinking about them, what watching this season in particular meant to us as a family and how frustrated I am that maybe Brady cheated (and again I don't like him) and how he let down so many people if he did.
    I just don't understand why Brady, or anyone with a gift, needs to cheat. And I wish these NFL reports weren't so wishy washy. And if this is all true I don't want to see Brady get a light sentence while the two guys who deflated the balls get all the heat.
    I hope you know I am not arguing with you-I was trying to figure out cheating as a whole when I made my original comments. AS a sports fan from childhood I still fee; let down by cheating and I so wanted to believe Brady wouldn't do something so lame. Well, if he gets suspended at least I get to look at the back-up quarterback-Garoppolo-he looked good last year at practice when we went. And he's cute
    gunbunny likes this.

+ Reply to Thread