+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree212Likes

Thread: Deflate Gate

way too close to moose, black bears and other country critters

Re: Deflate Gate

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    If the Pats would not continue to be repeat offenders then maybe attention would stay off them. They come across to the public outside of the local area as entitled Prima Donna's. Just from the disdain these two ballboys show it apparently happens with the staff too. Others cheat too is not a explanation.
    What are your thoughts on the Colts cheating 25 times? Or The Seahawks cheating repeatedly? Or The Falcons? Why are you so focused on the Pats when other teams cheat repeatedly? That's confusing to me. Shouldn't you be upset about repetitive cheating by all teams rather than just The Pats? The Pats are not an anomaly-but they are a favorite target of the media and Pat haters because they win. In two years, when they aren't winning anymore and someone else has taken their place as `The Dynasty' that team will be the focus of scrutiny. And hate. It's the natural cycle of things. The Pats will go back to being the obscure team no one but true Pats fans cared about for 40 plus years previous to their run at Super bowl titles beginning in 2001.
    Well, I won't back down/No I won't back down/You can stand me up at the gates of hell/But I won't back down
    No I'll stand my ground//And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down/Gonna stand my ground/Well I know what's right/I got just one life/In a world that keeps on pushin' me around/But I'll stand my ground/And I won't back down-Tom Petty

FORT Fogey

Has the "cheating" by the other teams been brought to the attention of the league? I find it difficult to believe that all the other teams tacitly agreed that they will only complain about the Pats because ,you know, they are all jealous of them.
    MsDiva2007 and Jax like this.

Anemic Dog

What we hear about is what we see in the media. Certainly, Baltimore, Indianapolis and the Jets are constantly carping about the Patriots because the Patriots usually get the best of them. That's the nature of the competitive game.

The jealousy I referred to is on the part of fans.

And, yes, cheating is usually referred to the league, regardless of the offender. The Falcons cheated by pumping in fan noise. They were disciplined recently, even though their record over the last two seasons is 10-22.

In the case of "Spygate", it's often blown up into something it shouldn't have been. The Patriots, like every team, taped opposing coaches. It's legal. But the Patriots cheated by continuing to tape from areas the league said were off-limits for placing cameras. Reminders were sent and the Patriots kept doing it. Stupid, yes, but especially because they didn't really gain an advantage from it. And they were punished with a record fine and the loss of a first-round pick. Hopefully, lesson learned.

This case is different because it's possible that a team could gain an advantage from illegally under- or over-inflated footballs. Bizarrely, the league didn't do what the complaining team asked. The Colts just wanted the balls checked before the game. Instead, the league waited until halftime. And, even more bizarrely, if Robert Kraft's account is to be believed, three of the four Colts footballs tested were also under-inflated. Simple physics indicates this is consistent with air pressure in cold weather.

The solution to this problem is so simple - the game balls should be provided by the league and not prepared by team employees. And there's still no indication that Brady was trying to cheat - only that he likes footballs that are less inflated than others. Each quarterback is different. It's a little surprising, since Brady's hands are very large, but that's what he likes.

I'm someone who tends to prefer big penalties for cheating. I was surprised that Ndamukong Suh, of my local Detroit Lions, was un-suspended during the playoffs this year after his dirty play the previous week. But, absent of anything more than what seems like tenuous circumstantial evidence, Brady didn't try to cheat here. If there's something in that 200-page report that indicates otherwise, I'd feel differently. What seems like the fact here is that the NFL didn't pay much attention to football inflation until this became a New York Post headline.
    redsox girl likes this.

Redsox girl No that is not what I said. You have my answer about the other teams in your quote. I believe I said if the NFL goes after them they need to be dealt with. However those other teams are not the one's being looked at now are they?
    MReid likes this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

way too close to moose, black bears and other country critters

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    Redsox girl No that is not what I said. You have my answer about the other teams in your quote. I believe I said if the NFL goes after them they need to be dealt with. However those other teams are not the one's being looked at now are they?
    I don't understand what you are trying to convey then.
    Well, I won't back down/No I won't back down/You can stand me up at the gates of hell/But I won't back down
    No I'll stand my ground//And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down/Gonna stand my ground/Well I know what's right/I got just one life/In a world that keeps on pushin' me around/But I'll stand my ground/And I won't back down-Tom Petty

I think I have made my self crystal clear. Those cases if they are true are not the topic of this thread or NFL scrutiny at the moment. We are talking about this case. I could careless in regard to this case that every other team may or may have not cheated. I am only talking in the moment on this one case which is currently being veted. When any of those other cases get looked into then I will discuss them right now I am only interested in this one. People cheating in other teams at different times are not in question. Those other cases do not make Brady any less guilty of what he has been accused of.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/suspic...151219208.html
    NCLurker, sueb1961 and Jax like this.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Anemic Dog

We've all seen these texts. They are consistent with the narrative that Brady, like pretty much every quarterback since the advent of the forward pass, cares about ball prep. By then, he knew the footballs measured too low. Why wouldn't he want to meet and go over ball prep in detail, knowing the biggest game of the year was coming up and the footballs would be monitored closely? At that point, the league hadn't announced changes in protocol.

I know you've judged Brady's guilt. I haven't. This isn't something that's been taped, like Suh dancing on Aaron Rodgers's leg, where we can review it 100 times and assess Suh's intent. I'm open to evidence that Brady wanted to cheat. It's just not there yet. All we have is, more probably than not, Brady instructed Jastremski to reduce the psi in the game balls.
    redsox girl likes this.

To the Point

Anemic Dog, I hear what you are saying, but the problem that article revealed was the fact that this interaction was not something that had EVER happened prior to this situation. To me that speaks to something having not been on the up and up. Sure they could have been discussing the Super Bowl balls, but if it takes that many phone calls, text and meetings then perhaps there are other things in play. Nope not buying it. That and the text or parts of text that the equipment guy tried to slough off as a joke makes it more than a bit suspicious. We are all going to see this through our own lens. Mine says that there is a high probability that there was more than a passing knowledge, but even if the NFL decides not to punish Brady, the guy who was responsible still works for the organization and thus the organization is responsible.

With regards to other teams cheating, I know it happens and there have been some who have suffered the consequences of those less than stellar actions. However, the fact that there are other teams who have less than stellar reps with regard to walking on the wrong side of the rules does not negate the fact that this would appear to be just one more case of that happening and it happened in a situation/game that made it a more visible issue and it was brought up immediately. There isn't supposition that the balls were not properly inflated, it's fact and since they are responsible for their own balls it was pretty obvious from the get go that someone in that organization was responsible. While it looks really bad when it is one of the big guys, it still is part of the organization regardless of who was responsible.

As I said, we all see this through our own lens, but I can tell you without any reservation, I would be just as annoyed/upset/whatever if this had been one of my teams (yes, I have more than one favorite NFL team) AND I would feel that they stepped over the line and they should have to suffer the consequences.

Anemic Dog

The media blew up over this after the Indianapolis game. Of course they were worried and wanted to discuss the situation. Both what happened and in the future. Maybe you're right, but maybe you're wrong. I'm afraid that viewing evidence through any biased lens - whether rose-colored or whatever color you're wearing - isn't enough to warrant discipline. We just don't know if Brady wanted less-inflated or under-inflated footballs.

Read about what Brad Johnson did prior to the 2001 Super Bowl. Yet there's no outrage. The media is very selective in its outrage. They know they can 'rouse the rabbles with the specter of Belichick and Brady.

Lets take this a little further the reason the teams are responsible for their own balls and have a chance to tamper with them is years ago brady and manning went to the league and asked for the change of how the balls are handled.

Brady pushed for rule to let visiting team provide own footballs | ProFootballTalk
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread