+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree167Likes

Thread: Baseball 2015 - PreSeason, Regular Season and Post Season

Re: Baseball 2015 - PreSeason, Regular Season and Post Season

I was on a cruise a couple of years ago and saw a bunch of folks wearing Giants shirts. I went to them and asked if they were from San Francisco too and they replied, "No we are from New York!" They are members of The New York Giants Preservation Association. They, after more than 50 years, remain faithful Giants fans! They regularly join with SF transplants at Finnerty's Bar in NYC to watch games. After each of our 3 World Series wins the Giants organization, along with players like Willie Mays, have taken our trophy to New York to share with these fans. They say that the San Francisco Giants are not just a 50+ year old franchise, but a 100+ years old franchise. Now, that's team loyalty! Many of the New York members come to SF to go to games during the season. There is nothing like this loyalty for the old Brooklyn Dodgers fans for the LA franchise.
    kev89 likes this.
    Lynda

Quote Originally Posted by kev89 View Post
    I've heard about the Rays potentially moving too. I hope baseball returns to Montreal someday. I was born several years after the second Senators moved to Texas, but I've known some baseball fans who have been in the DC area since the later years of the first Senators, and I know it's an awful feeling to lose your town's baseball team.
    Late last year the owners of the Rays went before the local consul & asked for permission to look for an area in the Tampa/St. Pete area to build a new stadium because the Trop is a bad place to play & a bad arena for access. They were told no, you have a contract & you must live by it. Needless to say that didn't sit well. It would not surprise me at all to see them leave Tampa for a better situation somewhere else.
    redsox girl and kev89 like this.

way too close to moose, black bears and other country critters

I really lovethis thread. Baseball holds a place in my heart for reasons having to do with bonding with my father after he and my Mom adopted me. I didn't/wouldn't speak (I'd been in the system and experienced being returned by another family). I was quite terrified these people were going to do the same thing. I also didn't speak English well (I'm from a small village in Sweden which only spoke Swedish). Well, my Dad would read the Sunday paper out loud to me0I have no idea why he thought thus was some sort of magical cure lol but he did-but only the baseball round up and scores. Stats,standings. WE lived in the country and had terrible television reception, so we listened to games on the radio instead. I was enraptured with the announcers-especially the Red Sox and Expos announcers-they weren't describing a game so much as telling me this amazing, descriptive tale about good vs. evil. Colorful, passionate, using clever descriptive ("and that ball just kissed the moon and made him blush!"). Poetic, story telling at it's finest. IT was during these early years I bonded with my Dad (and hey actually decided I would speak) and my trust in adults, well, my Dad at least, was mended. Baseball was our secret language-and it carried us through seminal times. When my Mom passed away my Dad and I , both so bound up in our grief that talking about her was impossible, went to minor league baseball games night after night. That first summer she was gone. WE let out our emotions at the games, rage at the umpires , wringing of hands and deep, complex talks about strategy. The language of baseball was our salve. Funnily enough my DAd is a die hard Yankees fan, for the last 80 years and I am a Red Sox fan When I was around 10, he brought me to Fenway Park for the first time. And a few years ago I surprised with a trip to the original Yankee stadium-a week before it was torn down-he had never been-he was always taking care of his brothers and susters over the years, as the oldest from a large family, he never did anything for himself. Bringing him there, seeing his face will always be one of my fondest memories of hum. So yes, I love baseball and my Dad, even if he is Yankees fan. The only flaw in his character.
    Well, I won't back down/No I won't back down/You can stand me up at the gates of hell/But I won't back down
    No I'll stand my ground//And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down/Gonna stand my ground/Well I know what's right/I got just one life/In a world that keeps on pushin' me around/But I'll stand my ground/And I won't back down-Tom Petty

Very nice story redsox girl. I don't know if it is at all possible, but you mentioned the descriptive language of the radio announcers that you grew up listening to. If you can find an example of a Dodgers game with Vin Scully online somewhere, give it a listen. There is no one in sports that can paint a word picture like Vin. He is truly one of a kind & to the best of my knowledge he is the only one in the booth to do the game by himself without a color analyst. He began in 1950 when the Dodgers were still in Brooklyn & will be back for his 66th year as their announcer this year. I loves me some Vinny!
    redsox girl likes this.

I know it was just 1 game, but it was the first game of the season & if you are a Cubs fan, that was a bad way to begin. Boy did they ever look bad.

Dustin Pedroia just had a home run in the first inning of the opening game of the season. The RedSox are headed for the playoffs!!
    Punkin and AmyKay like this.

My Nationals will be hosting the 2018 All Star Game...nice announcement to start the season
    Punkin and AmyKay like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    Dustin Pedroia just had a home run in the first inning of the opening game of the season. The RedSox are headed for the playoffs!!
    Mike Trout home run in the 1st inning. Angels to the World Series. Lol
    Punkin likes this.

4 solo home runs and a grand slam. RedSox won 8-0 on the road. It's enough to forgive whoever creates the schedules for making us play opening day against the other league.
    AmyKay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    Mike Trout home run in the 1st inning. Angels to the World Series. Lol
    Trout struck out 3 times, the Angels are done!

+ Reply to Thread