+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Ray Rice

Re: Ray Rice

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    Rumour on the internet is a Text from Teyana Taylor to Ray Rice is what supposedly the couple was arguing about?
    So if rumor is true, he was cheating and she gets beaten for it? Pig.
    momrek06 and MsDiva2007 like this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Ok. Wow. I tried not to see the video as it is close to my heart. (I have had history with this and that is why I'm divorced). But I understood what happend.

But was with friends and saw it - at a sports bar. The bartender asked me what was wrong because I gasped and was stunned. It was on all the TVs.

My friends (both men) took my mind off of it since I think they sort of knew from my reaction. But I was rocked.

I really hope the commissioner is fired. Without severance. He knew what happend in April and I don't know what kind of person you are not to think that vile. And if you actually saw it?
    momrek06 likes this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

So many hugs to you, beerbelly.

libgirl, I saw pics online of the lady he 'supposedly' may have been cheating with and she was wearing his football jersey. RR is a pig.

MsDiva, very sad that you had to sever ties with your GF but it was for your SAFETY. And your family's safety!
    beerbelly and MsDiva2007 like this.
    KAREN

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'd like to see an exclusive with Ray Rice's mother.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer.

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

This whole thing has me sick to my stomach. I was a HUGE Ray Rice fan. I live near Baltimore and the Ravens are MY team. Ray has been a real stand up guy before this happened. He volunteered his time for many worthy causes and was well liked by all who knew him. So, this make the situation even more shocking and disturbing.

When the first video came out many months ago, we saw Ray dragging Janay out of the elevator. She was unconscious. As a friend of mine commented "What do you expect to see when a 250 lb running back knocks a woman unconscious?" That video only ILLUSTRATES what was public knowledge back in April. The commissioner, the Ravens organization, all dropped the ball. And, evidence seems to be surfacing that shows that the commissioner had access to the second, damning, video. So, not only is Ray guilty of violent abuse, but the NFL simply wanted it all to go away, quietly.

Someone up thread stated that she thought Janay married him and is staying with him for the money. They may be true, but not necessarily. For several years I volunteered as a hot line counselor for a local abused women's shelter. I can't tell you how many times I heard "But he's the most wonderful man in the world, except when he's angry and hits me."

Now, Ray has lost his ability to earn a living, and he has lost the respect of a community who loved him. While I believe his initial punishment was way too light, I'm thinking that this new punishment may be too harsh. There is no record of him abusing any women in the past. Maybe he did. But, maybe this was the only time he ever did anything like this.
    Frankly, I think a season suspension would have been reasonable with the promise that any other domestic abuse would give him a permanent ban from the NFL. Ray has already been to anger management counseling. While that counseling is no where near 100% effective, with some people it does actually work. I just think he should have been given the opportunity to straighten himself out before being treated so harshly.

Before anyone jumps all over me saying that I think domestic violence is OK. Stop. I do NOT think it's OK. I do not think what RR did was OK. It was horrible. He deserves to be severely punished. But, I also believe he deserves a second chance. Odds are, he won't get it. Although, Michael Vic got a second chance, so who knows....
    beerbelly and SpringMaiden27 like this.
    I am one step away from being rich. All I need now is money

10375994_899488410062138_3112762525425761506_n.jpg

I wonder how much longer Roger Goodell will have his job now that we're finding out how long ago the NFL had the video.
    beerbelly and momrek06 like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

I've been in Baltimore this week on vacation, and it has been interesting to see how much news exposure there has been on this. It's a tragedy, that's for sure. But I'm afraid that if she stays with him, there is a bigger tragedy coming. I just can't wrap my head around moving forward to marriage with a guy who spits at me and then knocks me out cold. She could have walked out of that hotel as soon as she was able, straight to a lawyer to file for child support . . . and then both she and her child would have been safer from future outbursts, and she still would have been financially secure.

I pray for the sake of that child that this will be the last incident, but statistics do not favor that hope.
    libgirl2, momrek06 and MsDiva2007 like this.
    I'm Paula.

FORT Fogey

I heard a woman on CBS news who really nailed this concern. She said she does not like when women who stay with an abuser are criticized, because among other reasons in questions a woman's intelligence, strength, and other qualities that are exploited by the abuser to get her to stay. Instead, she suggested more focus should be put on questioning why on earth the man stays with someone who makes him so mad he's led to violence.
    beerbelly, momrek06 and overseas like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    Now, Ray has lost his ability to earn a living, and he has lost the respect of a community who loved him. While I believe his initial punishment was way too light, I'm thinking that this new punishment may be too harsh. There is no record of him abusing any women in the past. Maybe he did. But, maybe this was the only time he ever did anything like this.
    Frankly, I think a season suspension would have been reasonable with the promise that any other domestic abuse would give him a permanent ban from the NFL. Ray has already been to anger management counseling. While that counseling is no where near 100% effective, with some people it does actually work. I just think he should have been given the opportunity to straighten himself out before being treated so harshly.

Before anyone jumps all over me saying that I think domestic violence is OK. Stop. I do NOT think it's OK. I do not think what RR did was OK. It was horrible. He deserves to be severely punished. But, I also believe he deserves a second chance. Odds are, he won't get it. Although, Michael Vic got a second chance, so who knows....
    Having seen the video, I honestly wonder how likely it is that he has never done anything like this in the past? Could it be a case of him "not knowing his own strength" and really not getting what the result would be when he lost his temper and lashed out? I guess it's just hard for me to take that a person would go from "great guy with a stellar background" to "guy who knocks a girl out cold and then drags her out of an elevator"...

I think the thing that really struck me is that he didn't appear to have a reaction in the video. If he didn't intend to hurt her, then wouldn't you expect him to AT LEAST kneel down to make sure she was still breathing!?
    Florimel, ness and AZChristian like this.

FORT Fogey

But to Photobabe's point, should people be punished based on what is assumed and what could be? Or do facts such as "there's no record of him abusing women in the past" matter until proven otherwise? It seems to me that if we adapted a system where judgements were rendered on assumptions, we'd have utter chaos.
    Photobabe likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast