+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Miss Scarlet
  • 1 Post By SpringMaiden27

Thread: Horse Racing

Horse Racing

I'm surprised not to find an already existing thread for Horseracing's Triple Crown this year.
    I follow it every year. For some reason I've been following the Big Three ever since I was pretty young. I remember watching Secretariat's three races, & even then was in absolute awe of his Belmont race & win.
    I've followed it every year, to some extent, since.

This year we've got a very exciting Belmont coming up again today. It's been, I believe, 36 years since we've had a Triple Crown winner and California Chrome is looking good, although he has some tough competition.
    Two wins down & this is the only one to go for Triple Crown history.

The race is in about an hour & 15 minutes.

Go Chrome!
    Florimel likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Re: Horse Racing

Whoa... Steve Coburn was ANGRY after race. I don't follow it religiously but I have to wonder if he has a valid point. Some of these horses bust their butts in the previous two races and it seems unfair that a fresh, rested horse comes in a wins the race. But like I said, I don't really follow horse racing so maybe this is just bitter ends on his part.

Quote Originally Posted by football_chick View Post
    Whoa... Steve Coburn was ANGRY after race. I don't follow it religiously but I have to wonder if he has a valid point. Some of these horses bust their butts in the previous two races and it seems unfair that a fresh, rested horse comes in a wins the race. But like I said, I don't really follow horse racing so maybe this is just bitter ends on his part.
    He did come off sounding like a very bitter dose of sour grapes.
    But his point is valid. I don't know if this is the way it was done many years ago or if this is just recent history. Back many years ago when I first got fond of this, I was just a little kid. I didn't know much about these types of tricks of the trade. I just liked to watch them race.

I agree that there should be some degree of control & requirements over the entries and their past races. They need to earn their way into these 3 races by busting their butts & paying their dues.
    But saying it that way at that time probably wasn't the way or time to express this.

Secretariat could have still beat them all, by a lot.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Although he came across as bitter and confrontational, he didn't have a point. I've often thought that running three races in five weeks against horses that are fresh is a distinct disadvantage. It's probably why there have been so few triple crown winners, along with the difference in length. On the other hand, it's been that way for a long time and tradition is very important in horse racing. But, I think I'd be in favor of requiring the horses to run in all three of the races that are part of the triple crown.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

California Chrome was injured as well... another horse clipped the back of his right front leg when they were leaving the gate.

I have a really hard time with horse racing. The horses are on a whole treated like crap. They are given drugs to thin their blood, they are beaten to run faster, and if they don't win any purses, they barely get any attention. Not all mind you, but its really sad. Since I have owned four horses (I have two right now and two passed away peacefully), two of which came off the race track at one point, I have a really hard time supporting this *sport*.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

FORT Fogey

Steve Coburn and his wife were on Good Morning America to apologize for his reaction to the race. The guy was so genuine in delivering a heartfelt apology. They also shared some of the really positive things that have come from California Chrome's success that have nothing to do with horse racing. He called California Chrome "America's horse."
    Florimel likes this.

+ Reply to Thread