+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Donald Sterling remarks

FORT Fan

Re: Donald Sterling remarks

How do you prefer your race?

I thought it was an appropriate question here since ness said it mattered how she or he is referred to. I guess I'll go with Black since that was what I mostly grew up hearing but I don't know how many might consider that offensive. I'm fine with doing away with racial labels but demographics keep sneaking in.

OK, sometimes the system catches certain words and phrases and auto-moderates them, and sometimes things don't get seen by staff for a while if nobody reports posts as problematic.

Here's where we stand -- I deleted the posts where people went off-topic and began speaking directly to each other. No one gets to tell anyone else here how to post or not post. If you have a problem with something someone posts, report the post instead of engaging them.

As for the rest of the discussion -- it MAY prove to be constructive in the long run, as long as people take deeeeeep breaths before hitting "Post Reply", and keep their emotions in check. Argue over the contents of the posts, instead of speculating about the motivations of the author. And try to bring your arguments back to Sterling, as this ultimately still is the Sports forum. Thank you.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    What is the preference as to how the African American race is identified, separate from an embedded statement of citizenship which isn't universally true for any race?
    I prefer to be called American but African American will do because I can trace my family tree back to Africa. I normally refuse to answer on most forms that require an answer to race.
    Miss Scarlet likes this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear in my hope to ask respectfully...

How do African Americans on this thread prefer that their race be referred to? Is it "Black" or something else? (It's not African American because that's a reference to citizenship and race isn't synonymous with citizenship.)
    If I understand you correctly, you are asking what is the preferred description of black people who may live in Europe or Asia or Australia since the term "African American" does not apply to them. perhaps not even to South Americans since they rare describe themselves as American at all. I've often wondered that myself though I rarely get into discussions of this type, but I wanted to find you if you meant what I think you meant.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Yes, wondering if just "Black" is still acceptable (ie, reasonably unobjectionable) or if there is now a different preferred term for the *race*. (British American is never one of my demographic choices. It only statistically implies I'm probably white, and if I weren't American it wouldn't even be true.)

As I recall in the conversation between V and Sterling she pointed out she's Black and Latino, and he tried to gloss over that by pretending she was really something a little different, because otherwise his blatherings of hate would make no sense, of course. So how can he hang around with her if he feels that way. And how can she hang around him if he feels that way.

I think the estranged wife as part owner is going to effectively derail the NBA's attempts to wrestle the team away from Donald.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Why is this lowlife, Donald Sterling, after Magic Johnson?
    Punkin and bee stung lips like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fan

This guy gave enough info for the NBA decision to be easy. I can't figure his obsession with Magic. In the NBA world, you don't mess with Michael or Magic.

Yeah loose lips is sinking his ship quickly!
    overseas likes this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Why do they keep interviewing this idiot, having said that he really sounds out of it to me.
    Punkin likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread