+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Donald Sterling remarks

Re: Donald Sterling remarks

Quote Originally Posted by MrMet View Post
    I think one of the only good things to come out of this Sterling mess is that it's given us a reason to have an honest discussion about race rather than the semantics that are normally fought. These days, most race discussions center around who is allowed to use the n word, what "colored" means to people, etc. while I don't want to diminish the emotions evoked by these words, part of me has to ask who cares? If "colored" is highly offensive to you, but not the person who spoke it, doesn't intent matter at all? With these sorts of superficial fights there's a lot of reason for people to feel emotion, especially outrage, and for wedges to be driven. But it doesn't mean much.

On the other hand, Sterlings comments illustrate that there are still people who believe and will advocate that races not mix. They'll do it with hypocrisy and ignorance, but they do it. That's a bigger concern to me. Of course, the good news to come from this is that people who believe such things and a small minority who know their views are so unacceptable to the masses that virtually no one has come forward to defend him. The NBA ( and other pro sports leagues) will accept men who beat women, sexually assault them, kill dogs, and in some cases are associated with murders. For those crimes, they shake their heads, suspend, fine, and then welcome back. With overt racism, we've shown there is no tolerance. Players were willing to walk. The league banned for life. Pro sports has spoken on their values, and we don't tolerate racism. That's some progress. For many reasons, I think this ugly event has been one of the most important progressions we've made on race recently.

Last note, I'm disappointed that anyone did an interview with the mistress, but I'm glad it wasn't so publicized that the entire country tuned in. I hope that's a reflection of the sentiment towards her, and that fame will not be coming her way. It's very likely that she committed a crime taping him. While some good came from what she did, I think that if it's proven she taped him without his knowledge, she should be treated like a criminal and not heralded in infamy as we have so many other mistresses.
    No, I don't think it's correct to say that, these days, most racial discussions center around who is "allowed" to use the n-word.

Far as I'm concerned, NO one of ANY race is "allowed" to use it. And that goes not only for the n-word as applied to or by African Americans, but also for the s-word, as applied to or by Hispanic Americans, the w-word as applied to or by Italian Americans, and so on.

ALL of that type of verbiage is reprehensible to me, and I happen not to care one iota WHAT the color of the person's skin is that a derogatory or extremely questionable racial term happens to come from.

As for what the word "colored" means to people --- or more specifically, for THIS particular case --- quite a few, or a LOT of black people . . .

If you've never looked out at the world from the face in which I have for well over half a century --- in Atlanta, Georgia, where racism STILL exists in various and sundry ways and locations in a supposedly "new" millennium and century --- then, no, I wouldn't EXPECT you to understand what the word "colored" means to myself or others who HAVE lived their lives looking out of our faces and skins in the world in which we have, and do.

And had/have to pay various nasty prices for goods that we didn't even lay our money down to buy, as it were.

Therefore, it's no surprise at ALL to me that you would actually pose the question " . . . who cares?" or say " . . . it doesn't mean much." in regards to the use of certain offensive words and terms, and how they happen to negatively affect myself and/or others, perhaps.

Far as not finding the PERSON who actually spoke/said the words offensive . . .

If I am allowed to do so, I will TRY like the devil to "Hate the sin, NOT the sinner."

Even though it's still a work in progress for me, I'd like to believe that I am mostly LONG past the day when I will tear someone a new one straight out of the gate for an offense. Racial, or otherwise. True, I USED to do that, no questions asked. However, I have learned and know better, therefore I choose to DO better. If I REALLY don't care for a statement, I will do my absolute best to simply make my displeasure or opposing viewpoint known, and keep it moving.

Bite my tongue (or in this case, keyboard)? No. But, I WILL try to give whoever the benefit of the doubt in that I'd like to believe they weren't aware a statement or phrase caused offense, then let them KNOW it in a reasonable manner.

So, just as you indicated that Sterlings and people like him do what they do out of ignorance (and hypocrisy), I'm willing to float a boat for ignorance with SOME others --- to a POINT --- on this hot-button issue, as well.

And, as I previously stated, I also have NO problem being willing to step up and present my opposing viewpoint on the (un)intended ignorance, either.

It's all good.

We've all got our opinions and viewpoints.

Sterlings?

Donald Sterling Is Battling Cancer, Sources Say - ABC News

I wouldn't be in his shoes for his boots, right about now.

And no, before any implications are attempted to be made that I am rejoicing about his health situation by posting that story link, no, I'm NOT.

And no, I STILL wouldn't be in his shoes for his boots, right about now.

And the mistress?

Right now, 'bout the best I can say about HER is that she's a REAL piece of work.

JMHO.
    Last edited by ness; 05-04-2014 at 07:03 PM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Fan

Preach!
    Punkin and ness like this.

Quote Originally Posted by overseas View Post
    Preach!
    RotFLMFAO!

Just some humble thoughts, opinions and observations on the subject under discussion.

I mean, had the door not been opened, then I don't think I could've chosen to run through it!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

2 heads are better than 1 MrMet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    No, I don't think it's correct to say that, these days, most racial discussions center around who is "allowed" to use the n-word.
    Far as I'm concerned, NO one of ANY race is "allowed" to use it. And that goes not only for the n-word as applied to or by African Americans, but also for the s-word, as applied to or by Hispanic Americans, the w-word as applied to or by Italian Americans, and so on.
    ALL of that type of verbiage is reprehensible to me, and I happen not to care one iota WHAT the color of the person's skin is that a derogatory or extremely questionable racial term happens to come from.
    As for what the word "colored" means to people --- or more specifically, for THIS particular case --- quite a few, or a LOT of black people . . .
    If you've never looked out at the world from the face in which I have for well over half a century --- in Atlanta, Georgia, where racism STILL exists in various and sundry ways and locations in a supposedly "new" millennium and century --- then, no, I wouldn't EXPECT you to understand what the word "colored" means to myself or others who HAVE lived their lives looking out of our faces and skins in the world in which we have, and do.
    And had/have to pay various nasty prices for goods that we didn't even lay our money down to buy, as it were.
    Therefore, it's no surprise at ALL to me that you would actually pose the question " . . . who cares?" or say " . . . it doesn't mean much." in regards to the use of certain offensive words and terms, and how they happen to negatively affect myself and/or others, perhaps.
    Far as not finding the PERSON who actually spoke/said the words offensive . . .
    If I am allowed to do so, I will TRY like the devil to "Hate the sin, NOT the sinner."
    Even though it's still a work in progress for me, I'd like to believe that I am mostly LONG past the day when I will tear someone a new one straight out of the gate for an offense. Racial, or otherwise. True, I USED to do that, no questions asked. However, I have learned and know better, therefore I choose to DO better. If I REALLY don't care for a statement, I will do my absolute best to simply make my displeasure or opposing viewpoint known, and keep it moving.
    Bite my tongue (or in this case, keyboard)? No. But, I WILL try to give whoever the benefit of the doubt in that I'd like to believe they weren't aware a statement or phrase caused offense, then let them KNOW it in a reasonable manner.
    So, just as you indicated that Sterlings and people like him do what they do out of ignorance (and hypocrisy), I'm willing to float a boat for ignorance with SOME others --- to a POINT --- on this hot-button issue, as well.
    And, as I previously stated, I also have NO problem being willing to step up and present my opposing viewpoint on the (un)intended ignorance, either.
    It's all good.
    We've all got our opinions and viewpoints.
    Sterlings?
    Donald Sterling Is Battling Cancer, Sources Say - ABC News
    I wouldn't be in his shoes for his boots, right about now.
    And no, before any implications are attempted to be made that I am rejoicing about his health situation by posting that story link, no, I'm NOT.
    And no, I STILL wouldn't be in his shoes for his boots, right about now.
    And the mistress?
    Right now, 'bout the best I can say about HER is that she's a REAL piece of work.
    JMHO.
    I think you've misunderstood the point of my "who cares?" I did not say it to diminish the very real feelings and experiences surrounding race. I said it because the words hold different meanings to different people and we have to accept that to gain any understanding. If the intent is not negative, then being outraged by something meant as innocent is not productive and can be decisive.

Here's a typical progression.

Person one: colored people believe X.
    Person two: I can't believe you'd use such a word. That's offensive and wrong.
    Person 1: what? I just meant African American people, I didn't mean any harm.
    Person 2: of course you did. There are so many better terms to use. That one comes from an era of segregation and horrible injustices. Don't take us back there.
    Person 1: whoa, don't call me racist.

And it goes on from there. Neither person in that scenario is listening to the other. They are both assigning beliefs that the other doesn't hold. Wedges are driven and misunderstanding grows. It expands the problems we face instead of fixing them.

My point was that I'd rather see us face more significant issues regarding race relations. I'd rather us work towards progress and understanding. There are bigger issues to fight. I'd rather see us deal with those rather than insisting that our own emotional responses to certain words must be the response understood, held, and intended by all.

I think if you never had to endure some of things we as African Americans had to contend with you don't really understand how the word colored is really hurtful. As a child the word colored was used to demean and make me feel less than human. The colored kids in school we may not at that age knew exactly what colored meant, but we knew the use if that word was used to make us feel lesser than the non colored kids in the school.

I know that had not my mom instilled in me pride and love of myself,my skin and not to ever make anyone else feel the way that I was feeling when that word was used towards me. If I had not had that kind of upbringing who knows what type of person I would be today.

Donald sterling is not just some crazy old man spouting off nonsense. This man knew exactly how hurtful his words are and he just doesn't care!
    Punkin, ness and overseas like this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    I think if you never had to endure some of things we as African Americans had to contend with ...
    What is the preference as to how the African American race is identified, separate from an embedded statement of citizenship which isn't universally true for any race?
    Florimel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    What is the preference as to how the African American race is identified, separate from an embedded statement of citizenship which isn't universally true for any race?
    I don't understand the question?? What are you trying to say?

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    I don't understand the question?? What are you trying to say?
    Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear in my hope to ask respectfully...

How do African Americans on this thread prefer that their race be referred to? Is it "Black" or something else? (It's not African American because that's a reference to citizenship and race isn't synonymous with citizenship.)
    Punkin and Florimel like this.

FORT Fan

I have to agree with Mr. Met on the reference of players and owners, and much involvement. I have mentioned before that I am an ex-wife of a b-ball player (played for 14 years), and I don't even remember the owners, and mine only played for 2 teams. Usually the GM, Coach and players have the most direct contact with a player. Paychecks weren't even signed by owners.

Granted this was late 70's early 80's, and my ex was a name brand player with alot of perks, but nothing compared to today. Fans line the arenas to see the game and players who also feed that owner.

I'm proud of the stance the NBA took, but Sterling is one owner, and there is word there are 2-3 others, but they would not dare to vote against the decision, as sponsors would pull left and right.

Mistress/Wife what a mess, but not uncommon, and nothing has fury like a woman scorned. V is just plain nuts, has no idea who she is.

To answer the other question, I prefer to be a human being, but I am a proud African-American woman. My mom was bi-racial, and I heard the "N" word for the first time when I was 4 with my white grandmother. I got separated from her, and she asked the sales clerk to help her find me. When I found her, they said,"why didn't you tell us you were looking for a "n"?

Stings!
    Punkin and MsDiva2007 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by overseas View Post
    ITo answer the other question, I prefer to be a human being, but I am a proud African-American woman.
    Thanks, but that doesn't tell me how you want your race (not your citizenship) referred to.
    Florimel likes this.

+ Reply to Thread