+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Donald Sterling remarks

FORT Fanatic

Re: Donald Sterling remarks

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    Kobe Bryant plays on the Los Angeles Lakers. I am not a Laker fan and would never pay money for a ticket to a Laker game! I am a Miami Heat fan and I only support the heat. I do not even attend a Heat game with the Lakers because I abhor Kobe Bryant with a passion. I am not sure why you feel the need to drag others into the discussion of Donald Sterling? Again nothing will make his racist remarks any less heinous if even Kobe Bryant is a Rapist and Jason Kidd is a wife abuser.This still makes Donald Sterling a Racist and sick individual you can continue to bring up as many other sick individuals as you please and Mr Sterling with still be a racist!
    Im dragging them in to point out the hypocrisy of these players and the fans of the NBA. Stuff like that does not bring this type of outrage. Im not condoning what Sterling did or said but Im saying that no one cares when real crimes happen but some guy being recorded illegally turns into this circus. I have yet to hear Donald Sterling mistreated black players or withheld money from them or anything else other then offensive words that lead to this suspension. (his slumlord stuff has nothing to do with the NBA) I dont care if he is a racist. Last time I checked having an backwoods ideology is not a crime.

Im interested to see where this goes. Will players be banned if they get caught in a similar situation or does this just apply to owners? If the league is really serious about race, why hasnt Larry Johnson been fired from his Knicks job for saying there should be an all black league and no white people allowed?

Racism may be ok with you however there are many laws on the books that state you may not discriminate against people because of their race,ethnicity etc Now unless I missed something in my educational training not paying some players their worth because if the coir of their skin fits the category. Mr Sterling has been accused of this in the past. Refusing to rent to black people because of how you think they smell and their race, ah it's called discrimination.

Discrimination is most definitely against the law where I live!
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggity22 View Post
    Im dragging them in to point out the hypocrisy of these players and the fans of the NBA. Stuff like that does not bring this type of outrage. Im not condoning what Sterling did or said but Im saying that no one cares when real crimes happen but some guy being recorded illegally turns into this circus. I have yet to hear Donald Sterling mistreated black players or withheld money from them or anything else other then offensive words that lead to this suspension.
    Other people in the NBA have been penalized for "offensive words". As just a single example, Kobe himself was fined for using a gay slur that he claimed was simply an expression of frustration and not actually directed at homosexuals.
    Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant fined $100,000 for directing gay slur at ref - ESPN Los Angeles

Maybe when a player is involved in a real crime the NBA feels that the authorities are the ones to handle it? As someone said upthread, Kobe was accused for sexual assault but not convicted. The case against him was dropped. I have no idea what went down in that situation, but I don't see how the NBA could penalize him for it when there was no case in the end.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    Racism may be ok with you however there are many laws on the books that state you may not discriminate against people because of their race,ethnicity etc Now unless I missed something in my educational training not paying some players their worth because if the coir of their skin fits the category. Mr Sterling has been accused of this in the past. Refusing to rent to black people because of how you think they smell and their race, ah it's called discrimination.

Discrimination is most definitely against the law where I live!
    So where in the conversation did he state he discriminated against players? He was never accused of not paying players. He was accused (and acquitted) by a former gm of firing him based on race. As far as him owning and NBA team, how did he discriminate against his players?

And that slumlord situation, players KNEW he did that and still had no problem playing for him. That's just the hypocrisy of this whole thing. People knew this guy was garbage and didn't care. Now they care. Gimme a break.
    cablejockey likes this.

The plot thickens...

Magic Johnson ‘Wants to Buy’ Los Angeles Clippers from Donald Sterling - TIME

“This is 100 percent Magic’s plan,” an anonymous league official involved with the buying and selling of franchises told Yahoo Sports.

Johnson was directly referenced in the audio clip leaked by TMZ over the weekend. In the recording the man identified as Sterling admonishes his girlfriend for posting a photo of herself with the basketball legend to Instagram, saying she shouldn’t be promoting her associations with black people. On Sunday, Johnson said on TV that Sterling ought to lose his NBA team.
    remember to play

So where in the conversation did he state he discriminated against players? He was never accused of not paying players. He was accused (and acquitted) by a former gm of firing him based on race. As far as him owning and NBA team, how did he discriminate against his players?

And that slumlord situation, players KNEW he did that and still had no problem playing for him. That's just the hypocrisy of this whole thing. People knew this guy was garbage and didn't care. Now they care. Gimme a break.
    He has a history of discrimination against minorities. The only reason he didn't discriminate against his players and/or coaches is because they were putting money in his pocket.

The fact that he has this sordid history just makes me wonder why the NBA didn't do anything previously. Maybe the fact that his racism finally blew up in the public eye was the excuse they needed to take action?

This article mentions people who have tried to take action against him in the past, but haven't been able to make much headway. It's gotta be hard when he has so much money backing him.
    Donald Sterling's Shocking History Of Alleged Racism Has Long Been Overlooked By NBA

The article also says:
    Despite their location in a glamorous major media market, the Clippers were a destination of last resort for most free agents and an unfortunate detour in their players' careers.
    It may be that players put up with him simply for a chance to get in the door at the NBA level. Now that they are playing better and have made it to the playoffs, they have more of a spotlight to shine on this type of problem.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 04-30-2014 at 11:54 AM.

Players that were drafted by or traded to the Clippers had no choice if they wanted to play professionally. I don't know what Doc Rivers' excuse was.

The teams are like franchises. You can't buy and sell them on the open market, it has to be approved by the NBA. So they get to set standards if they want. They get to ignore Sterling's scumminess that is outside his role as a team owner and do what they believe benefits the NBA when his scumminess directly relates to his position as a team owner.

Just stumbled up on this thread tonight.

Anybody who read my commentary on Paula Deen over in the "Celeb News" thread KNOWS where I stand on an issue like this.

However . . .

I never heard him rip apart colored people.
    Re what I've bolded:

"Colored"?

With all due respect, NOBODY breathing on this earth colored us. Also, I, personally, haven't heard/had that term used in reference to myself or others of my heritage that I can recall right now --- and yes, I'm African American --- in at LEAST the last 45 (or a few MORE, possibly) years.

Just a small educational moment.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    what I've bolded:

"Colored"?

With all due respect, NOBODY breathing on this earth colored us. Also, I, personally, haven't heard/had that term used in reference to myself or others of my heritage that I can recall right now --- and yes, I'm African American --- in at LEAST the last 45 (or a few MORE, possibly) years.

Just a small educational moment.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.
    NAACP? National association for advancement of COLORED people?
    Last edited by Arielflies; 05-04-2014 at 06:16 PM.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    I heard the recording. Disgusting. Fortunately Neanderthals like this are a dying breed. Literally. We've heard two of these old, rich geezers lately talking about how African Americans were better off as slaves and their ideas are not only abhorrent, but are so far removed from mainstream thinking that you just gasp at the ignorance. What is the matter with that Bimbo who is with him? She's part African American herself and is being sued by the geezer's wife. If she can name one single thing she admires about this dunghole besides his money, than I won't call her a wh*re. Bet she can't.
    Unfortunately, they are not dying quickly or completely enough.

What really gets me is how long his associates have known about his views and have chosen not to censure him. I'm guessing he was referred to as a "good old boy" in their inner circle. I do not see the other owners as being totally faultless in this mess.

I also can't get over people who want to make excuses for people like this. They use the word "but" a lot.

THERE IS NO EXCUSE. This is all about CHOICE.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 05-04-2014 at 09:01 AM.
    ness likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread