+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Donald Sterling remarks

FORT Fanatic

Re: Donald Sterling remarks

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I have to agree with Ms. Diva that being old doesn't make it okay to be a horrible person. And I've heard plenty of terribly racist things that don't involve the "n word". It's baffling to me that he tries to claim he's NOT racist!!
    To me, he was telling his "gf" he didnt want her publicizing relationships with other men. That sounds like insecurity, not racism. I dont remember the exact phrasing but he said he thought highly of Magic. Maybe he didnt want his gf taking pictures with the guy whos the face of the franchise that has dominated his franchise for years. I dont know what he was doing with this girl but one of the quotes he says she can "F*** them just not bring them to the game". Maybe he felt it was wrong for her to be going around with other guys.

He has the right to say whatever crap he wants, and the NBA has the right to ban him for conduct they don't want represented by their organization. The fact that these players are well paid isn't a factor here, IMO. I can't imagine being a player on a team whose owner refers to their race like this guy has. To say that he pays their huge salaries, so they shouldn't complain is like saying a woman should put up with sexual harassment from a boss because he pays her check.
    But my point was his racism had nothing to do with how he ran his team. Hes a bigot. I would argue there are plenty of black racist people in this world that for some reason walk on water ie: Rev Al. That guy has a TV show and gets the ear of the president of the US. Sterling was a racist for years and no players gave a crap about it. Now this "outrage" surfaces and everyone doesnt want to play for him. Come on. Bunch of phonies. This is what he believes. Its not right but its what he believes. We are now not only punishing people for their beliefs but we their private ones as well. Go google what some NBA players said about Gay people. Did this happen for that? And what happens when a player says something bad now? Are they going to be held to this "lifetime ban"?

Ummm, if the horrible things being said in private were racist, then I would argue that it does make the person saying them a racist...
    Again, Im sure all these players have said their share of awful things. Ever listen to a rap CD? Im sorry, just because its entertainment, doesnt make it right. I find it wrong that something he said behind closed doors led to this. He should have apologized and been let to move on.

FORT Fanatic

Also, I asked before as women, did it offend you that Kobe Bryant sexually assaulted a girl? Or that Jason Kidd beat his wife? Those are both much worse yet nobody boycotted basketball and were outraged to this extent.

I'm not sure, but I don't think he can be forced to sell the team. It has to do with private property rights from what I've heard. Private property owners can be sued or fined or otherwise pressured, but cannot be forced to sell. Only the government can force a sale under "eminent domain" in the case of real estate. Anyway, that's what I think I remember.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I'm not sure, but I don't think he can be forced to sell the team. It has to do with private property rights from what I've heard. Private property owners can be sued or fined or otherwise pressured, but cannot be forced to sell. Only the government can force a sale under "eminent domain" in the case of real estate. Anyway, that's what I think I remember.
    Apparently if 75% of the other team owners vote for it, the NBA can force an owner to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggity22 View Post
    Also, I asked before as women, did it offend you that Kobe Bryant sexually assaulted a girl? Or that Jason Kidd beat his wife? Those are both much worse yet nobody boycotted basketball and were outraged to this extent.
    I don't like Kobe Bryant and I think he did get away with rape !I am not a fan of Jason Kidd either. I mean are you implying that because these two idiot people did something wrong that its ok for Donald Sterling to be a racist? There is nothing that will EVER make it ok for anyone to spew racist remarks about people! I don't care what any other NBA player has done none of that makes what this man did any better!

I am not sure exactly where a person comes from that makes them thing this type of behavior is acceptable under any circumstances!!
    libgirl2 and ClosetRTWatcher like this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    I don't like Kobe Bryant and I think he did get away with rape !I am not a fan of Jason Kidd either. I mean are you implying that because these two idiot people did something wrong that its ok for Donald Sterling to be a racist? There is nothing that will EVER make it ok for anyone to spew racist remarks about people! I don't care what any other NBA player has done none of that makes what this man did any better!

I am not sure exactly where a person comes from that makes them thing this type of behavior is acceptable under any circumstances!!
    You had mentioned in your first post about how you would never go to an NBA game again. I was just wondering why this would keep you from there yet Kobe faced no punishment and that wasnt a deterrent. I dont mean that to you but it seems that the general public could care less about things like that. Yet we get stupid comments from an 80 year old white guy and suddenly everyone expresses outrage over the NBA and demands action. I just find it odd that words carry so much weight yet actual crimes dont get this type of attention.

Well, I guess everyone deserves at least one defender. But here's how the rest of the league feels about him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-ban...3437.html?vp=1
    ness and MsDiva2007 like this.

Kobe Bryant plays on the Los Angeles Lakers. I am not a Laker fan and would never pay money for a ticket to a Laker game! I am a Miami Heat fan and I only support the heat. I do not even attend a Heat game with the Lakers because I abhor Kobe Bryant with a passion. I am not sure why you feel the need to drag others into the discussion of Donald Sterling? Again nothing will make his racist remarks any less heinous if even Kobe Bryant is a Rapist and Jason Kidd is a wife abuser.This still makes Donald Sterling a Racist and sick individual you can continue to bring up as many other sick individuals as you please and Mr Sterling with still be a racist!
    Punkin and candor like this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

If I remember correctly Kobe Bryant wasn't found guilty of rape, nor did he ever admit it, nor was there any concrete "proof", as in recorded, taped, etc. In the end it was his word against hers & he won. Money talks. Fame talks. Having big time connections talks. The only thing he ever admitted to is having consentual sex with the woman.
    Personally I never believed him for a minute, but in the end that was the courts judgement.
    They couldn't very well ban or penalize a man judged innocent by the courts.

As for Sterling, I am filled with disgust for the man. Yes, I did listen to the tapes. It made me feel skeevy just listening to the man. I also looked up some of his past biggotted history. The fact that he pays his players well means nothing. They are his meal ticket. That's what he's paying for. It doesn't show any respect for them.

The only 2 things about this story that aren't totally against him are that his bimbo is a piece of trash. Why on earth would any woman, especially a woman with African American heritage, ever associate with someone with these kinds of views? A money hungry gold digging wh*re is what she is. Not to mention that the old jerk is MARRIED! The fact that she obviously set him up & led the conversation is nothing to be respected.
    The other thing that bothers me is that this was supposedly a private conversation. Not something said publicly. Not that it excuses him or what was said, but this wasn't supposed to be for public distribution. Like I said above, he was set up. That in itself is wrong too.

I guess that shows something I always told my children: "Don't say anything or do anything you wouldn't want everyone to know about. Because if you'd be embarrassed about everyone knowing, it means it's WRONG."
    MsDiva2007 likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

This article did a really great job putting into words a feeling that had been nagging me about this story. The whole concept of an old racist guy "owning" a team full of people who are the subject of his racism...
    How Donald Sterling Violated The NBA's Unspoken Social Contract : Code Switch : NPR
    Punkin and ness like this.

+ Reply to Thread