+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 93
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Donald Sterling remarks

  1. #11
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    418

    Re: Donald Sterling remarks

    If you listened the the audio and still feel that way, then thats your opinion and Im not going to change that. To me, he sounds like a crazy old guy with some views that most people dont tolerate anymore. I never heard the N-word, I never heard him rip apart colored people. I heard some woman knowing that this guy is a POS trying to get him to sound bad on a recording. If you think that is a strictly organic conversation and she had ZERO motives behind her words, I dont know what to say. Ill admit, I made my first opinion on this without listening and really assumed he said the N-word and stuff to that ilk. I heard someone call in a sports talk show today and say the same thing. That just shows how this was portrayed and what people think when they hear "racist" and do nothing more. Unfortunately, there are a lot of those people chiming in on this.

    Its apparent that hes not the greatest person in the world. But what is he going to be suspended for? Because he made some remarks people deem offensive to his girlfriend in a private conversation? Its not illegal to say the things he said. If the NBA has actual proof that his views led to him hiring or firing someone of color, then they have a basis. The guy just made one of the most absurd deals for a black coach in NBA history. He has the 5th highest paid player in the league, who is black, on his team. I find it hard to believe that his ideology has effected the way he runs his NBA franchise in any way. Plus, everyone knew this guy was garbage well before hand yet had no problems playing for him. Now because its a story, everyone is outraged. Come on.

    Is privacy sacred anymore? Are you honestly going to claim you have never in your life said a horrible thing about someone or a group of people when you thought no one was listening? That doesnt make you a racist. It makes you a moron. All these NBA players silently protesting have never said something bad before? Would you like it if someone recorded you talking bad about your boss and then played that for your boss behind your back and you were fired for it? To me, the violation of privacy and the fact that no one cares about that scares me. We get all worked up thinking the NSA is taping our phones and stuff but when its in this situation, everyone rallies behind it.

    Ive heard plenty of black speakers get up in front of groups and say some vile stuff (Rev Wright, Rev Al, Jesse Jackson) but wheres the outrage over that? Had he gotten in front of a TV camera and said all he did, Id see the outrage. As a woman, did you protest the NBA when Jason Kidd was charged with beating his wife? Did it bother you that he had a DWI hit and run? Did it upset you when Kobe sexaully assaulted a woman? Do you boycott the NBA because players are constantly in trouble with the law and get slaps on the wrist over it?

  2. #12
    FORT Fogey MsDiva2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Del Mar, California
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,623

    Re: Donald Sterling remarks

    I don't say anything at all that I would be ashamed to be published in the newspaper. A code of conduct I got from my hard working African American mother. I as an African american would never make those type of comments for the simple fact I know how it feels and I would never do that to anyone else. We love to use the excuse that someone is old to dismiss their repulsive behavior.

    My understand is she has stated he wanted his conversations recorded because he forget things, apparently he doesn't forget to be a racist. If she recorded him without his consent the state of CA will take that up with her. The fact that he is old and recorded without his permission doesn't take away the fact he is a racist sorry!
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

  3. #13
    Pineapple! ClosetRTWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Groovin' with my human boom box
    Posts
    4,541

    Re: Donald Sterling remarks

    I just read the latest update:
    The National Basketball Association has banned Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling from basketball for life and fined him $2.5 million racist remarks attributed to him in recordings posted online, NBA Commissioner Adam Silver announced Tuesday.
    What does it mean that he is "banned"? Is he just prevented from attending games? Does he get to remain owner of the team if he chooses to do so?

  4. #14
    FORT Fogey MsDiva2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Del Mar, California
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,623

    Re: Donald Sterling remarks

    Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I just read the latest update:

    What does it mean that he is "banned"? Is he just prevented from attending games? Does he get to remain owner of the team if he chooses to do so?
    I am not sure. I was online with a client went when it was mentioned
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

  5. #15
    Red Sox Nation Brooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,188

    Re: Donald Sterling remarks

    From what I heard last evening, they can't pull his ownership but they can prevent him from attending games and other official events or anything in any kind of official capacity. It sort of takes away the point of being an owner so he's more likely to sell his shares.
    MsDiva2007 likes this.

  6. #16
    Pineapple! ClosetRTWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Groovin' with my human boom box
    Posts
    4,541

    Re: Donald Sterling remarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    From what I heard last evening, they can't pull his ownership but they can prevent him from attending games and other official events or anything in any kind of official capacity. It sort of takes away the point of being an owner so he's more likely to sell his shares.
    Interesting, thanks for the info!

  7. #17
    Live-Love-Laugh Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    22,831

    Re: Donald Sterling remarks

    They mentioned him selling in the press conference - that is still on.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

  8. #18
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,854

    Re: Donald Sterling remarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    I don't understand the women who associate with a cretin like this. I've been reading about him. So many have enabled this jerk and now they can't because it's no longer PC.
    Well in the case of his girl friend.... can you say Gold Digger? Wow!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  9. #19
    Red Sox Nation Brooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,188

    Re: Donald Sterling remarks

    It's kind of funny that Trump described both Sterling and his mistress (I don't consider her a "girlfriend") as despicable, LOL. Alpha males world wide are probably aghast that a mere harlot can bring down such a mighty kingpin so quickly.

    We're all finally allowed to say that the emperor has no clothes!
    Punkin and prhoshay like this.

  10. #20
    Pineapple! ClosetRTWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Groovin' with my human boom box
    Posts
    4,541

    Re: Donald Sterling remarks

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggity22 View Post
    To me, he sounds like a crazy old guy with some views that most people dont tolerate anymore. I never heard the N-word, I never heard him rip apart colored people.
    I have to agree with Ms. Diva that being old doesn't make it okay to be a horrible person. And I've heard plenty of terribly racist things that don't involve the "n word". It's baffling to me that he tries to claim he's NOT racist!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggity22 View Post
    Its apparent that hes not the greatest person in the world. But what is he going to be suspended for? Because he made some remarks people deem offensive to his girlfriend in a private conversation? Its not illegal to say the things he said. If the NBA has actual proof that his views led to him hiring or firing someone of color, then they have a basis. The guy just made one of the most absurd deals for a black coach in NBA history. He has the 5th highest paid player in the league, who is black, on his team. I find it hard to believe that his ideology has effected the way he runs his NBA franchise in any way. Plus, everyone knew this guy was garbage well before hand yet had no problems playing for him. Now because its a story, everyone is outraged. Come on.
    He has the right to say whatever crap he wants, and the NBA has the right to ban him for conduct they don't want represented by their organization. The fact that these players are well paid isn't a factor here, IMO. I can't imagine being a player on a team whose owner refers to their race like this guy has. To say that he pays their huge salaries, so they shouldn't complain is like saying a woman should put up with sexual harassment from a boss because he pays her check.

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggity22 View Post
    Is privacy sacred anymore? Are you honestly going to claim you have never in your life said a horrible thing about someone or a group of people when you thought no one was listening? That doesnt make you a racist.
    Ummm, if the horrible things being said in private were racist, then I would argue that it does make the person saying them a racist...
    ness likes this.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.