+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: Winter Olympics - Sochi 2014

Winter Olympics - Sochi 2014

The Games start in a few days....

We've had terrorist attacks and other dangers at previous Olympic Games, but I can't remember any other time that there was SO MUCH to worry about before the Games even start.

I love the Winter Olympics, but I have to admit I'm more than a bit worried that something really terrible could happen.

As if the fear of terrorists isn't enough: Putin

All doom and gloom aside (and this Olympics seems to have more that its share of that), I'm really looking forward to seeing so many events AND hopefully seeing more of an area of Russia I don't know much about. I saw a report yesterday that said this Olympics is unusual because so many of the events are SO close together. It's not like previous Games when the venues would be many miles apart.

ETA: I'm adding a graphic of the event schedule here. For more info, here's the official site: Sochi 2014 Olympics - Olympic Tickets, Sports & Schedule - Sochi 2014 Olympics
    Olympics Schedule.jpg
    Last edited by Critical; 02-07-2014 at 01:21 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Re: Winter Olympics - Sochi 2014

And it's so close to the Ukraine. They've been fighting for independence for years and have carried out horrific terroristic attacks on Russia.

Unless they've located her recently, there is a terrorist who might have slipped through security and into Sochi.
    Russians seek alleged female terrorist in Sochi, site of Olympics - latimes.com

All I know is that, as much as I love Russian culture AND the Winter Olympics, I wouldn't want to be at this Winter Olympics. I'd feel really conflicted about going, even if a child or family member was competing.

I majored in history, with an emphasis in Russia and Eastern Europe, and I still geekily follow politics and news from that region. The political situation in Ukraine is CAH-razy. Some of the stuff that has happened is straight out of a Hollywood spy thriller. You have to wonder how security could possibly be tight enough to prevent really motivated terrorists from getting through.

I'll be watching as much of the Games as I can, but I'm going to be worried the entire time.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

This just gets better and better: Sochi: Hotel Horrors Haunt Olympic Journalists

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    And it's so close to the Ukraine. They've been fighting for independence for years and have carried out horrific terroristic attacks on Russia.
    SMH! I don't know what my brains were off doing when I blamed the Ukraine for terrorism. Of course I should have said Chechnya.
    Leftcoaster likes this.

FORT Fogey

Athletes are getting injured on the new slopestyle course, and have suggested improvements. Shaun White withdrew to focus on his other events, and risk further injury.

Curious about the figure skating team event, and it starts tomorrow.

I have also been worried about the reports of terrorism in the area. I hope everyone involved stays safe out there!

I have to admit that, although I'm a fan of figure skating, I'm a little annoyed by the team figure skating event. There is already a significant amount of television coverage for figure skating. The people involved are skating the same routines they will skate in the individual competition, and I feel like it's just going to suck up a lot of the television coverage that could be dedicated to lesser-known events. If they want to add figure skating events, I would MUCH prefer to see synchronized figure skating added. I took my daughter to watch a regional competition a couple of years ago and it is really fun to watch!

ETA: I just heard yesterday that the motto of this Olympics is "Hot. Cool. Yours." I don't think I knew that each Olympics got its own motto...?
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 02-05-2014 at 11:19 AM.
    Leftcoaster likes this.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I'll watch for the figure skating and some of the more exciting "slope" events like freestyle, ski jump and snowboarding. Not a lover of winter sports, mostly because I don't really like winter. Can't envision myself watching curling, cross country or even the biathlon.

Listening to all the concerns; from physical security to cyber security to unfinished hotel rooms and water you can't drink, you have to wonder how the cities who lost out to Sochi are feeling these days.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I've always loved the winter Olympics too. I'm going to try to watch and put the fear out of my mind. There is nothing that I can do about it. I can't control it. I just have to not think about it, though it worries me so.

What do you think about the figure skating finalists? I heard that a great contestant was left out so a contestant who did horrible was invited to be on the team. It sounded so unfair. Any chance the Asian girl who was booted will get to compete anyway?

We will be on holiday week on, but I will try and catch some on the news. The place doesn't sound finished, horrible dirty water, cramped conditions, hotels not ready..great!! and on top of that black widows sneaking around.
    I am glad some athletes told their families to stay home, at least this way they can keep on top of their sport, and enjoy it.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast