+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: Winter Olympics - Sochi 2014

Re: Winter Olympics - Sochi 2014

I can't resist posting this amidst all the talk about hotel conditions in Sochi...
    Sochi Hotel Guests Complain About Topless Portraits of Putin in Rooms at Olympics : The New Yorker

Tracy Klugian, who travelled from Ohio with his wife to attend the Sochi Games, said that he was appalled to find his hotel room dominated by a gigantic portrait of a shirtless Putin riding what appears to be a bear.

Said Mr. Klugian, “I did not travel thousands of miles just to be grossed out.”

For his part, President Putin has been dismissive of the complaints, today calling the hotel guests “babies who cry.”

“These people who are complaining about what is on their walls should be grateful,” he said. “At least they got one of the hotel rooms with walls.”

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I can't resist posting this amidst all the talk about hotel conditions in Sochi...
    Sochi Hotel Guests Complain About Topless Portraits of Putin in Rooms at Olympics : The New Yorker
    OMG that is hilarious, it would put me off my room
    Last edited by Fanny Mare; 02-06-2014 at 12:21 PM.
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    OMG that is hilarious, it would put me off my room
    This is so comical, yet its all so sad.... I'm glad I don't have tickets to this!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    This is so comical, yet its all so sad.... I'm glad I don't have tickets to this!
    I don't think I would go. I can cheer just as loudly in my house .I feel sorry for some of the families that opted not to go, it must be so amazing to see your child win a medal, I tear up and they are not mine!
    libgirl2 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Apparently, not many people are showing up in Sochi....at least not any non-Russians. I read a story this morning that talked about how the streets look deserted and that trains into the city are half-empty. I think people are staying away in droves.

Then there's this: Russia Says It Knows Journalists Are Overhyping Sochi Hotel Problems Because It's Spying On Them

Putin's always wanted his country to return to the Soviet-era KGB spying that he loved so much. Looks like he's getting what he wants.
    libgirl2 and Miss Scarlet like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I
    ETA: I just heard yesterday that the motto of this Olympics is "Hot. Cool. Yours." I don't think I knew that each Olympics got its own motto...?
    Never heard that till you mentioned it.

Personally, I don't conceive of Ice Dancing as a sport, but figure that's one of those go along to get along moments we encounter..

I have also been worried about the reports of terrorism in the area. I hope everyone involved stays safe out there!

I have to admit that, although I'm a fan of figure skating, I'm a little annoyed by the team figure skating event. There is already a significant amount of television coverage for figure skating. The people involved are skating the same routines they will skate in the individual competition, and I feel like it's just going to suck up a lot of the television coverage that could be dedicated to lesser-known events. If they want to add figure skating events, I would MUCH prefer to see synchronized figure skating added. I took my daughter to watch a regional competition a couple of years ago and it is really fun to watch!

ETA: I just heard yesterday that the motto of this Olympics is "Hot. Cool. Yours." I don't think I knew that each Olympics got its own motto...?
    What coverage would you prefer?

Figure skating just about IS the Winter Olympics, for me.

I just edited the first post in the thread to add a link to the official website of the Games AND a schedule of the events

I love figure skating, but I'm not sure what the point of the group event is. I know someone whose daughter competes in team figure skating, but that's a group skating together - like you'd see in a dance competition. I thought that's what "team skating" was going to be. I'm a bit disappointed to find that's not the case. IIRC, they've done something similar with pro figure skating.

I'm looking forward to pretty much every event. I love watching figure skating, hockey, ski jumping, the snowboard events, bobsled, skeleton, luge, downhill skiing, slalom, curling..... ALL OF IT!
    football_chick likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Can I just say how happy I am that Evgeni Plushenko finally got rid of that mullet?

I am into the Winter Olympics. I have been following the hotel/city drama on twitter (@SochiProblems) and I too am amazed as to how this city even got to be host, was it that different 7 years ago when it was chosen? If it wasn't did they think it would change in that amount of time? Hopefully this will give the IOC a shake for when they are picking future sites.
    I am just getting into hockey so I hope to watch a lot of the men's games to see who I may like and start to follow if they play in the NHL. I like the luge and bobsledding. Im a Shawn White fan so I will be following him thru the games. Curling interests me...tho doesnt hold my attention for long. I will be missing the Opening Ceremonies but I saw OnDemand last night that they will have a lot of stuff OnDemand so I will probably catch most things that way.
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

+ Reply to Thread