+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: Winter Olympics - Sochi 2014

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Re: Winter Olympics - Sochi 2014

YAAAAYYYYY CANADA!!! So proud of our men's and women's teams!! Carey Price was AMAZING and of course, so was home town boy, and fellow Dartmouthian, Sidney Crosby. Good work guys!
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    YAAAAYYYYY CANADA!!! So proud of our men's and women's teams!! Carey Price was AMAZING and of course, so was home town boy, and fellow Dartmouthian, Sidney Crosby. Good work guys!
    Sid the kid did verrrry well
    bee stung lips likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

What a great weekend. I was thrilled that the men won, and in such a great fashion (no heart attacks here, the defence was rock solid). Not quite as exciting as 2010 but at least I didn't sprout any more grey hairs I hope. The excitement came from the women's game this time around.

It was a wonderful end to the Olympics for Canada. I was hoping the US would win the bronze, so Kesler could win a medal. That way my Canucks players who went to Sochi would come home with gold (Lou, Hamhius) silver (Sedin and Edler) and bronze (Kesler). But I agree, it seemed the US team was rattled after their Friday loss to Canada, and just couldn't compete against a very motivated Teemu Selanne and his Fins led by Rask who is a pretty lights-out goalie. If he hadn't had the flu in the game against Sweden, things might have been very different. Two penalty shots for Patrick Kane and he couldn't buy a goal. It was just a gong-show for the Americans that game. I was a little nervous when I saw Kes block a shot with what looked like his head. He wanted to win pretty badly.

We didn't match our medal count of 2010 but we came really close and we won the golds in hockey so all is right with the world in Canada
    football_chick likes this.
    Valar Morghulis

I recorded most of the prime time events, and FF'ed through most. I think I was more interested in the dog situation, and those being adopted. I think a lot had to do with it being in Russia.
    Punkin likes this.

The CBC (which had near 24/7 coverage happening) showcased many positive stories from Russia, featuring the volunteers, school children, Russian athletes, etc. Obviously the location won't likely go down in history as the best place to host the winter games, but I am glad to have learned a little bit more about Russia and to have had a chance to take a peek into what life is like for many Russians, both good and bad.

I loved the fact that they were able to show a huge sense of humour during the closing ceremonies, when they had the dancers who were supposed to fan out into the last Olympic Ring, stay closed to poke fun at the glitch from the opening ceremony. I loved also seeing the beautiful homage to Russian Ballet and that chandelier was stunning. All in all, it was a positive experience for many and hopefully will be remembered for that.
    Valar Morghulis

There is much in Russian culture that I love, especially in the arts, literature, and the Russian language.

What I'd like to have seen a lot less of is Vladimir Putin, whom I wouldn't like regardless of where he came from. But, that's true for me of leaders from every nation I can think of without exception.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

Scott Hamilton shrieks whenever a skater is about to attempt a triple jump, so I always mute him. Also, I didn't watch the talk about Kerrigan/Harding. In general, the money spent on the Olympics could have been spent more usefully... maybe to help people. I've read that the poorest people in Rio have already been evicted to make way for the summer Olympics.

I only watched the Olympics during the day this time (or I DVR'd parts, like the skating). I really enjoyed Tara and Johnny (even more than whoever was commentating the live stream).

I think today was the first day when I woke up that I didn't immediately launch the live stream on my laptop :-)

I wish I had heard more of the skating commentary from Johnny and Tara and less from the primetime commentators. I think I only heard them for the ice dancing competition.

I have also heard about the issues with the Brazilian government relocating poor people to make way for Olympic venues. Apparently this has been an issue with their upcoming World Cup as well.

As Brazil Gears Up For Olympics, Some Poor Families Get Moved Out : Parallels : NPR
    Brazil Tramples Poor Citizens In Its Rush To Glory : NPR
    bachelorwatcher likes this.

I heard during the ice dancing long program that Russian had made it illegal for nationals of other countries to use Russian skating facilities prior to the Olympics. One of the teams in the top 10 had to leave Russian and go to Detroit to train because of that. Wow, that's a great example of the Olympic spirit and sportsmanship.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread