+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: Winter Olympics - Sochi 2014

Re: Winter Olympics - Sochi 2014

I think that this Olympics will be remembered for Russia's embarrassing failures - Putin's death by a million tweets. Here are more pictures that are so funny. I am sure they will keep on coming. Maybe they'll need their own thread.

The most ridiculous photos from the nightmare Sochi Olympic hotels - Yahoo Finance

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    What do you think about the figure skating finalists? I heard that a great contestant was left out so a contestant who did horrible was invited to be on the team. It sounded so unfair. Any chance the Asian girl who was booted will get to compete anyway?
    I didn't watch the championships, but the girl who got the spot even though she did poorly at nationals is Ashley Wagner. She isn't horrible, but she does have consistency issues. Apparently the decision was based on her recent history of wins at international competitions over the past few years. She finished in the top-five finishes at the last two world championships, so maybe the logic was that if she's *on* during the Olympics she is more likely to win? I'm not very familiar with Mirai Nagasu. I thought at first that maybe they went with Ashley because Mirai is a lot younger, but I looked it up and Ashley is 22 and Mirai is 20 so they aren't all that far apart. I didn't realize that Mirai placed 4th in the last Olympics. That almost makes it seem even more unfair.

The number of skaters that gets to compete for each country is based on how well each country performs at the world championships. Countries that have skaters that place highly get to send more skaters, but I believe the limits are very strict. Unless one of the three skaters sent by the US was injured and could not compete, Mirai will not be able to compete.

I'm curious about slopestyle. I'm also looking forward to skiing, short track speed skating, snowboard cross, half pipe, and I'm sure more that I'm forgetting!
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 02-05-2014 at 07:03 PM.
    Debb70 likes this.

I'm excited to watch! I have my PVR all set to go at 6am tomorrow morning for the figure skating and slopestyle events. I love the Winter Olympics and will pretty much watch any of the events.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    I think that this Olympics will be remembered for Russia's embarrassing failures - Putin's death by a million tweets. Here are more pictures that are so funny. I am sure they will keep on coming. Maybe they'll need their own thread.

The most ridiculous photos from the nightmare Sochi Olympic hotels - Yahoo Finance
    OMG Punkin. I didn't know if I should laugh or cry..thanks for the link!!
    Punkin likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post

What do you think about the figure skating finalists? I heard that a great contestant was left out so a contestant who did horrible was invited to be on the team. It sounded so unfair. Any chance the Asian girl who was booted will get to compete anyway?
    Not really an accurate read on the situation. Ashley Wagner is a 2-time national champion and the one with the most international competitive experience. She won the national championship in 2012 and 2013. She had an off competition this year. Mirai Nagasu was good, but she hasn't been skating so well in recent years. She out skated Ashley at Nationals, but she hasn't placed above, I think, 3rd in ANY competition in the last several years. Mirai came in 3rd at Nationals (Ashley was 4th), so it was probably an easy decision for the committee to put Ashley on the team instead. They do consider other factors and not just the placement in Nationals. Maybe if Mirai had placed 1st or 2nd, the committee would have made a different decision

Punkin, I saw those pics this morning. It's hilarious, but awful at the same time.

This is pretty scary: NBC News' Richard Engel: My Computers, Cellphone Were Hacked 'Almost Immediately' In Sochi
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post

And then I saw this....

Russians: Sochi rounding up, killing stray dogs before Winter Olympics - CNN.com

I'm sorry but Russia was in no way prepared for this Olympics....
    Punkin likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

And I think the IOC must have gotten a really great bribe from Putin.

A real shame for the athletes who have worked so hard to get to this point. Lets hope it doesn't effect them.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Not really an accurate read on the situation. Ashley Wagner is a 2-time national champion and the one with the most international competitive experience. She won the national championship in 2012 and 2013. She had an off competition this year. Mirai Nagasu was good, but she hasn't been skating so well in recent years. She out skated Ashley at Nationals, but she hasn't placed above, I think, 3rd in ANY competition in the last several years. Mirai came in 3rd at Nationals (Ashley was 4th), so it was probably an easy decision for the committee to put Ashley on the team instead. They do consider other factors and not just the placement in Nationals. Maybe if Mirai had placed 1st or 2nd, the committee would have made a different decision
    Yes. It's a tough sport, and it's not just a numbers game - you're expected to "pay your dues", and that has (partly) to do with cumulative performance over years, not just a great skate in one competition. I can't speak for the Americans but Skate Canada's Olympic choices certainly reflect that. For instance - Kevin Reynolds (senior men), who is popular at my house, didn't have a great skate at Nationals (believe it or not, he had serious equipment issues - his boots did not fit properly in spite of being custom made) but is a no-brainer for the Olympic team.

We naturally support our Canadian team and we definitely have several medal contenders, but my skater daughter (a huge fan of Patrick Chan and Katelyn Osmond, who isn't exactly a hometown girl but trains at another club in our city) is also very impressed by Julia Lipnitskaya. Don't know if you've ever seen her skate but my kid can't believe how "crazy flexible" she is.

Personally, I look mostly look forward to the hockey. (Speaking of dues-paying - you sure can see it in some of Team Canada's choices as well.) I'm a little anxious about who is going to replace Steve Stamkos. I have always disliked Claude Giroux and won't be at all happy if he's chosen. I'm pulling for Martin St. Louis or Tyler Seguin. Since three of my beloved Rangers are playing for Team USA, I'd be happy with a Canada/USA showdown. But...if I was an American, I'd be a tad worried about the goaltending. Howard and Quick are having lousy seasons and Ryan Miller is stuck in lowly Buffalo.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Yeah, the thing with the dogs is just awful. Completely disgusting and inhumane. It makes me feel sick.

I was reading an article this morning about all of the corruption and how many millions have gone missing. I mean, like in the neighborhood of $30M or more. No wonder so many of those buildings were never completed and the accommodations are substandard.

I really do hope the actual athletic events go off without a hitch, especially for the sake of all of the young people who have worked SO hard to get there. It would be a shame if the mismanagement and ineptitude ruined things for athletes who've worked their whole lives to be in the Olympics.
    Punkin, ClosetRTWatcher and Coco46 like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    We naturally support our Canadian team and we definitely have several medal contenders, but my skater daughter (a huge fan of Patrick Chan and Katelyn Osmond, who isn't exactly a hometown girl but trains at another club in our city) is also very impressed by Julia Lipnitskaya. Don't know if you've ever seen her skate but my kid can't believe how "crazy flexible" she is.
    I recall seeing Julia Lipnitskaya in one of the Grand Prix events and she was very good!

I was thinking leading up to this Olympics that I can't remember in the past not really knowing who the figure skating contenders were. It seems strange that I know nothing about most of them this year. My interest in figure skating has been waning since they changed the scoring system. I understand the reasoning, but I think it has dramatically changed the sport. We used to see routines that we artistically superior and included the core elements. Now it is all about working the numbers system to come up with a routine that can win. Throw in a barrage of jumps at the beginning, make sure you do some more right at the halfway mark, etc. While they still have an artistic component to the score, I think it mostly loses out now to the technical stuff.

+ Reply to Thread