TOP 5

BAMA
    Stanford
    Oregon
    Ohio St.
    Clemson

College football 2013

I didn't see a thread here yet.

That Tennessee - Georgia game was so exciting.
    It turned out to be a VERY good game.

I was rooting for the Vols, but those Dawgs played a great game and won.

Georgia has played two great Nailbiters in a row.

Tennessee was so close to the upset and I hope this gave them some confidence.

I may be moderately hooked on College Football.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Re: College football 2013

Here is a link to an article with a video of the TD turned TB:

Y! SPORTS
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Re: NCAA Football 2013

echo - a thread was started a few days ago and I moved your posts.

What can I say about Oregon? I don't want to jinx what seems to be unfolding as a terrific season, so I'll throw them my support and say how much I enjoy watching their games.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Against the Tide Tonight on Showtime. Below is page 1 of a review in the Tuscaloosa News. It's about the integration of college football in the South. Looks interesting.

“Against the Tide” sounds deceptive for the Showtime documentary that premiered at the Cobb Hollywood 16 Friday night, to an invited audience. It's anything but anti-Alabama, painting the program and legendary Coach Paul “Bear” Bryant in golden light.

The title refers instead to those bucking the tide of history in the '60s, fans, alumni and others who had to be sold on the idea of an integrated University of Alabama football team. Those recalcitrant types were won over by a loss, after the University of Southern California Trojans came to Birmingham's Legion Field to open the 1970 season, trouncing the Tide 42-21. It was much worse than the score indicates: If USC Coach Jim McKay hadn't begun subbing starters out in the third quarter, it's suggested, the score could have been 100 to 0.

USC dominated for numerous reasons, chiefly that it was bigger, faster and stronger. That was demonstrated in part by African-American stars such as Sam Cunningham, who ran for 135 yards and two touchdowns on just 12 carries.

As UA star Scott Hunter, who carried the sting of that loss into his pro quarterbacking days — he would look for former USC players in his pro opponents and think, “Today I'm quarterbacking a bigger, faster, stronger team” — notes, after the USC game, fans began saying “We need to get some of them.” “Them” being black players. Hunter smiles, in the film, and says the light was finally beginning to dawn.

But, in a repeated refrain, the story was more complex than “black players beat white team.”

“The (USC) black players were bigger, strong and faster, and the white players were bigger, stronger and faster,” Hunter says in the film. “And if they had any polka-dotted players, they were bigger and stronger and faster.”
    The rest of the article is here: 'Against the Tide' tells of landmark moment | TuscaloosaNews.com

Poor Oregon. You lose two, drop to 13th in the standings and, so far, haven't received any Bowl bids. I do believe their season may be over.

I hope Arizona whomps Stanford in the Pac12 championship game and gets to go to the Rose Bowl.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Two losses and Oregon is out of the National Championship game...Stanford beat them and that put them out of contention for the Rose Bowl as they are both in the Pac 12 North division. So, they were invited to the Alamo Bowl to play Texas which was saying good-bye to long time coach, Mack. It is too bad (not) they couldn't win the game for him, but the Oregon coach called being around him a clinic and he got all the love and respect he deserved after such a long career.

Oh, Oregon won...but, I guess I inadvertently said that already.

FORT Fogey

Wow what way to end the BCS championships with Florida State and Auburn! That was a really great game! Congrats to the last BCS champs, the Seminoles. Their fight song is stuck in my head.

I know...the hand chop and the whoaa, whoaa, whoaa was relentless. My TV insisted on changing channels with 10 seconds to go, but I figured FSU squeaked it out. It really was a very good game!

+ Reply to Thread