+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: America's Cup 2013

America's Cup 2013

Normally I would have no interest in America's Cup (and still don't actually) but I had an awesome opportunity yesterday to watch the race from the rooftop penthouse of a 25 story building on (S)Nob Hill in San Francisco. My son and DIL in San Mateo have my perfect little grandkids in a Montessori elementary school and once a year they hold auctions to raise money for the school. They bid on and won this prize: Invitation for 20 friends to watch a day of America Cup racing from the penthouse rooftop at the top of Nob Hill complete with full bar and lunch of lamb chops and chicken/veges shish-ke-bob. Three of his guests dropped out, so at the last minute Friday night he reached down to the bottom of the barrel and found me, DH and my best friend! Since we never have something better to do anyway, we jumped right in! I took some pics and want to share them.

Oracle/USA Team is blue sail ad New Zealand/Kiwi Team is red. Here they race towards the Golden Gate past North Beach. St. Peter and Paul Cathedral in foreground.

cup3.jpgcup2.jpgcup4.jpgcup6.jpgNob Hill 016.jpg
    football_chick and Cootie like this.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Re: America's Cup 2013

WOW!!! Just wow.

Gorgeous photos. I would be concerned about the armada of sailboats surrounding them and chasing them. Also, why they two boats and why SF bay? Is this a trial for the big race?

Don't you love that sometimes being bottom of the barrel pays off in a huge way! I'm so happy you got to experience this.
    Punkin likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

They were saying on Good Morning America that the USA has caught up in points and has a very good chance to beat NZ.

GO! U.S.A!
    Punkin likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

When I saw it the US was behind New Zealand by 6 to 1. They have now evened up and the last race is today 1:00 PDT. I think the America's Cup goes from place to place and this is the first time for San Francisco. In May an Italian boat capsized and killed one sailor. These catamarans are so fast they can go up in the air and go up to 50 mph. It truly was an amazing view, even for us natives!

Oh, my gosh!! So exciting!! We're winning, we're winning! An epic comeback! WE WON!!! Yay!

I think I'll have a cocktail!
    Cootie likes this.

yay!!! usa! Usa!
    Punkin likes this.

Only one of the crew on the USA boat is in any way American, born or naturalized. The rest are all from Australia or New Zealand including the captain. I think their comeback was an amazing achievement, but it's hard for me to think of them as team USA. I'm not jingoistic and I generally root for the athlete over the nation in sports, but I think a team should be what it represents itself to be.
    Punkin likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Ah...here I was going all patriotic. I should have remembered that world is world and not nationalistic. At least the boat is owned by an American. And I think it cool that the race was run in US waters.

No more attempts at jingoism from me.
    Punkin likes this.

Actually the two commentators, both involved in the sport, asked each other their opinion on that. One said the Cup should require all members of the crew to be from the nation whose flag is on the boat. The other disagreed. I think this is a sport that few can afford to take such a long time to prepare for. I don't know if they are paid. They aren't talking about the next regatta until 2017.

A few years ago we were on the bay in a tourist boat with out of state friends. Ellison's yacht was on the bay and we got close enough to see it pretty well. In the back is a huge open lounge with the biggest fish tank I've seen out of an Aquarium. On top is a private helicopter and smaller shore boat that is lifted out on a crane. I don't know what Oracle does. I know what Microsoft does, use it every day. Instead of buying huge yachts and multi-million dollar Cup boats, Gates is very much involved in philanthropy. I don't know much about Ellison, but it seems he's one of his favorite charities. I could be wrong?

He's a big deal and a pledge signer.

Ellison said it has long been his intent to give away his wealth. Though one blogger (not linked) said his money is going into his own foundation looking for the fountain of youth through medical research. At least he signed a giving pledge.

Larry Ellison, dozens more, to give away wealth | Beyond Binary - CNET News

"Many years ago, I put virtually all of my assets into a trust with the intent of giving away at least 95 percent of my wealth to charitable causes," he said on the Giving Pledge Web site. "I have already given hundreds of millions of dollars to medical research and education, and I will give billions more over time. Until now, I have done this giving quietly--because I have long believed that charitable giving is a personal and private matter."

Oracle Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oracle Corporation is an American multinational computer technology corporation headquartered in Redwood City, California, United States. The company specializes in developing and marketing computer hardware systems and enterprise software products – particularly its own brands of database management systems. Oracle is the third-largest software maker by revenue, after Microsoft and IBM.[3]

The company also builds tools for database development and systems of middle-tier software, enterprise resource planning software (ERP), customer relationship management software (CRM) and supply chain management (SCM) software.

Larry Ellison, a co-founder of Oracle, has served as Oracle's CEO throughout its history. He also served as the Chairman of the Board until his replacement by Jeffrey O. Henley in 2004. On August 22, 2008, the Associated Press ranked Ellison as the top-paid chief executive in the world.[4][5]
    Punkin likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast