+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TENNIS: Is anyone watching the French Open?

FORT Fogey

TENNIS: Is anyone watching the French Open?

They are playing on that nasty red clay. Everyone is getting splattered from head to foot, but the warriors battle on.

A few of the younger up and coming players are already out, but Andre Agassi continues to dominate for the Americans.

Yesterday he won a thrilling match over a great Croatian player, Mario Ancic, in a very tough 5-setter. Andre was down two sets and somehow pulled himself together and started playing with more focus. The score was: 5-7, 1-6, 6-4, 6-2, 7-5. It's the fifth time in his career that he's come back after being that far behind. His strength lies in not giving up.

At 33 he is one of the oldest players on the Tour, but seems to be so fit that his retirement seems far away. I hope so, as he is my favorite player.

The women are led by Serena Williams. Her sister, Venus has been sidelined by an injury and has not been as impressive as she once was. There are some great young players like Megan Shaugnessy and Ashley Harkleroad.

I've watched a little of it, but for me, Canadian and US sports coverage doesn't even come close to BBC coverage so it's hard to watch.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey
    I'm watching!

Go, Andre!!!

I still remember the first time I saw Andre on TV. He was playing on American clay, as it happens. That was back then when he had the "hit it hard, eventually it will stay in" mentality. That rocked, btw.

I saw a little of the Ashley Harkleroad match last night and she is one to watch.

And what happened of Myskina?

Is she ever going to win anything?

I can remember Andre coming to Wimbledon one year 9long long ago).
    The dress rules there state you have to wear predominantly white clothing (most of you probably knew that) and Andre was known for wearing some slightly more jazzy outfits.

He came out in a solid white tracksuit, which he stripped off to reveal solid white top and shorts.
    The crowd went wild
    "That's Numberwang!"

I love Andre! I loved it when he got all those Brits all riled up!

I hope to catch the coverage of the French Open this weekend. I enjoy the women's tennis most.
    Who shot who in the what now?

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    Blast from the past- Agassi in Paris in 1988

Love the denim shorts!

Classic Stuff...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice!
    Who shot who in the what now?

FORT Fogey

Update on French Open

Another exciting day at Roland Garros!

The men's competition went along at a dramatic pace. Andre beat Xavier Malisse in a tough three-setter (6-4, 7-5, 7-5). Unlike his previous match where he did not know his opponent's (Ancic) game too well, Andre was in top form and only lost his serve once. He played flawlessly.

Flavio Saretta, a Brazilian ranked 78th, will face Agassi next due to the exit of Galo Blanco suffering from a groin injury.

At 33, Agassi's the tournament's oldest entrant. And just like a year ago, he's the only U.S. man in the round of 16.

Another of my favorites, Carlos Moya won today over Juan Ignacio Chela in five sets (6-2, 6-3, 3-6, 2-6, 6-3). Moya was French Open champion in 1998.

Women's Tennis (U.S.)

Serena Williams pulled a double bagel over Barbara Schett in just 40 minutes today (6-0, 6-0). Ashley Harclecourt, the new up and comer lost to Spain's Magui Serna in three sets (6-3, 1-6, 2-6) but Chanda Rubin is still going strong. Chanda lost the first set to fellow American Laura Granville 2-6, but rallied to win the last two sets 6-1 and 6-3.

Chanda Rubin - pulling it off

FORT Fogey

Go Amelie!

Andre is off to the Quarterfinals against Guillermo Coria from Argentina. Guillermo is 12 years younger than Andre. This is going to be a great match, but of course I'm rooting for Andre who took out Flavio Saretta in three straight sets on Sunday (6-2, 6-1, 7-5).

It looks like the South American Caballeros and the Spanish Armada are cruising to the second half of the French Open and may the best man win (Andre!).

No Frenchman/woman has won this event since Yannick Noah won it twenty years ago in 1983. Amerlie Mauresmo is the Great French Hope at this time. She will be facing Serena Williams next and the way she has been demolishing her opponents, she could very well send Serena home with her already defeated sister, Venus. Amelie defeated Serena Williams two weeks ago.

Amelie Mauresmo

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    He's spanish and looks good. Juan-Carlos Ferrero. Why again am I watching tennis?

You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast