+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree186Likes

Thread: Nfl 2013 - 2014

Re: Nfl 2013 - 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    I'd have been much happier if Carolina and Seattle both lost and we could have a bye, but just getting into the playoffs again is good enough for me! How's the weather in Green Bay? :>(
    I'm guessing it's really, really cold. They don't call it the "Frozen Tundra" for nothing!
    Here's a link to the extended forecast: 10 Day Weather Forecast for Green Bay - weather.com
    It appears that the temps will be above zero for the Wild Card game.

I live in San Diego, but I grew up in Wisconsin, hence my being a lifelong Packer fan.
    I'll root for the Chargers, though, as long as they're not playing Green Bay.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Thanks, Ellen! I expressed my OMG! Wisconsin!! to DH and he calmed me by reminding me that not all 49'ers were raised in or went to college in the more temperate zones. Just as not all Packer players were from the "Frozen Tundra", so it wasn't a total mis-matchup. (He reminded me that Troy Bierman, playing for Atlanta, gave his team that advantage when his team played in cold climes. How many DHs would come up with a Housewives analogy?) Hey, Kaepernick was born in Milwaukee and played college football in Reno! Snow genes!

Hah! I forgot those were the cheese head folks. Good luck to both our teams. It's only a game.
    Last edited by Punkin; 12-29-2013 at 11:14 PM.
    Ellen likes this.

It's a fun match-up:
    Kaepernick is a Milwaukee boy who grew up as a Packer fan; Rodgers is a California boy who grew up as a 'Niners fan.

I just saw the schedule on the GMA ticker and it said Packers AT 49ers so maybe they are playing at Candlestick instead? Wrong! The 49er Schedule says the game will be played at Lambeau Field. Well, we beat them the first game of the season at Candlestick...fingers crossed. They now have their A game players back so it should be a tight one.

Sorry, Ellen...I forgot you are a Packer fan since you've talked about living in San Diego.

Punkin, I used to live in Sunnyvale and commute to Santa Clara not far from Great America Amusement Park and the 49er Training Facility (where the new stadium is being built.) At that time the closest large road was an expressway with the light rail running down the middle. I'm thinking that in the last 20 years surely they've built more wide roads in the area.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 12-30-2013 at 10:48 AM.
    Punkin likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I think the Caltrain train runs nearby. The traffic congestion there is already horrible, so the train is a good alternative. In fact the Caltrain stops at the new AT&T Park where the Giants now play and my sons and their families in Millbrae and San Mateo use it to go to the games. It's a rather festive party train for those going to a baseball game. I used to hate the 101 traffic coming home from work on days that there was a Monday night game at Candlestick.

Oops! I forgot! You are still a Niner fan! Go Niners!

Congrats to everyone whose teams made the playoffs. Here on out I'll be rooting for my NFC North buddies, the Packers

However, the Saints are my second favourite team so my loyalty may have to shift...

Sidenote: I am currently in California - first time here. Flying in and out of San Francisco, driving Route 1/PCH. So far we've stayed in Monterey, Cambria, Ventura, Riverside, Santa Barbara, and San Luis Obispo. 2 more nights to go in Palo Alto then we're back home, it's a beautiful state, amazing weather!
    Punkin, Ellen and Arielflies like this.

That is a wonderful road trip PCH is my favorite! I wish you had enough time to stretch it down a bit to San Diego. Maybe another time...

Anyway, enjoy the rest of your vay-cay!

(P.S. Go Packers! )

Ha, football_chick, we don't call it PCH up here, it's just Hwy. 1 (but the same long stretch through the state, parallel to the El Camino Real (Spanish for The King's Highway) where missionaries set up missions when we were owned by Spain/Mexico). But you've taken a great route including the magnificent Big Sur! Did you see Hearst's Castle? I appreciate how you would enjoy the beautiful weather, especially if it's cold and icy back home, but all my friends and I were bummed to have the sun so bright on Christmas day! It just wasn't right! Actually we have had so little rain this year (a record) that we are facing droughts and water rationing next year unless we build up a snow pack in the Sierras real soon. I'm happy you've enjoyed your trip!

Do you have a Cheese Hat? :>)

Huh, interesting. I wonder where the linguistic PCH/Hwy. 1 border is. In San Diego, Orange Co. (no one here, BTW, calls it "the O.C.), L.A., and Santa Barbara, I always hear that road referred to as PCH.

I think it's somewhere around Ventura .
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread