+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree186Likes

Thread: Nfl 2013 - 2014

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Re: Nfl 2013 - 2014

The 49er Thursday Night game was on NFL1, which must be in a pay package because I couldn't find it in my cable guide. Anyway, they beat the Rams handily and are now 2-2. They also travel to London later in the year on Oct 27 to play the Jaguars. NFL London 2013 at Wembley Stadium | Vikings v Steelers & Jaguars v 49ers

Fox will carry the SF/Jaquars game at 10 AM pacific time, so 1 PM eastern. In other words, except for location, it looks like a regular broadcast game.

Sunday's Steelers/Vikings game is listed for the same time period on CBS.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 09-28-2013 at 12:24 AM.
    Punkin likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    The 49er Thursday Night game was on NFL1, which must be in a pay package because I couldn't find it in my cable guide. Anyway, they beat the Rams handily and are now 2-2. They also travel to London later in the year on Oct 27 to play the Jaguars. NFL London 2013 at Wembley Stadium | Vikings v Steelers & Jaguars v 49ers

Fox will carry the SF/Jaquars game at 10 AM pacific time, so 1 PM eastern. In other words, except for location, it looks like a regular broadcast game.

Sunday's Steelers/Vikings game is listed for the same time period on CBS.
    All the Thursday night games are on the NFL channel, AF, but you still should get the games for your local home teams on a local network because it's written into the NFL channel contract for their carrying the Thursday night games that they can't deny the local broadcast areas their home team games.

I watched it on the NFL channel and Kap looked like he has his confidence back when they interviewed him after the game. I've said this before but he has the skillset of an incredibly talented quarterback and the 49ers have a very strong defense so I can't really imagine them not doing very well overall again this year.

Eli Manning is also a clutch QB but the Giants have huge O-line problems and no running game to speak of right now and no quarterback can carry an entire team on his shoulders which means my childhood Cowboys actually have a shot to win the NFC East this year.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

The Vikings are no longer winless. It was a riveting game, actually, with the Steelers having one last chance to tie with less than a minute to play. The stadium was full and the crowd into it. I don't know the ratio of Brits to Americans, but there were more purple flags on sticks than terrible towels being waved.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

The Steelers starting record hasn't been this bad since 1968. That year, they went six games before getting a win. They beat the Eagles and the Falcons that year and tied with what was then the St Louis Cardinals.

While the Eagles have won only one game so far, like it or not (and I don't), their QB is doing a better job than ours, at least for right now. The Falcons have won only one game as well, so you'd think it might just be doable, mostly since their Red Zone TD percentage is practically non-existent . . . but, unfortunately, we don't play them this year! On the flip side of that coin, other teams we don't play are the Broncos, the Saints, the Seahawks and the Chiefs - who have yet to lose a game.

I can take some loses, but when it comes to teams like the Browns, the Bengals and the Lions, it's just too much for this Steeler girl to take.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    I'm still in shock that Miami is unbeaten. I don't have to hang my head in shame this year when I tell someone I'm a Dolphins fan!
    I spoke too soon. They're now 3-2, dammit.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Did anyone watch the Frontline documentary called League of Denial last night on PBS? It was shocking. I really hated to post this on this thread, since I doubt the topic will be popular here, but it was a very imformative piece. I would recommend it to anyone, not just football fans.

It's about Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy in professional football players. About 99% of former players brains that have been examined have it.

Here's a link about the reaction to it.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ague-of-denial
    Punkin likes this.

This has become a hot topic this past year what with Junior Seau suicide and others coming forward. It is a fact. During a game last week the commentators were talking about a player being back on the field this week because he passed the concussion test both on field last week and off field. IF there is a hint of head jarring (helmet to helmet, which is now a HUGE penalty) the trainers immediately do a test on field before removing the player and that player, more than likely, won't play the remainder of the game and won't be brought back until cleared by doctors. The league has become very serious about the brain whack problem.
    Punkin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    This has become a hot topic this past year what with Junior Seau suicide and others coming forward. It is a fact. During a game last week the commentators were talking about a player being back on the field this week because he passed the concussion test both on field last week and off field. IF there is a hint of head jarring (helmet to helmet, which is now a HUGE penalty) the trainers immediately do a test on field before removing the player and that player, more than likely, won't play the remainder of the game and won't be brought back until cleared by doctors. The league has become very serious about the brain whack problem.
    The problem is that the doctors after studying the brains and the injuries of the players, suspect that you get that condition even when you don't get big hits. It appears that the little hits from day after day do damage too. They spoke about a player who was 21 years old when he killed himself. He had not had any big hits. And I read about a 17 year-old high school football player who also had the condition. It's really concerning.

Unfortunately, after seeing the NFL exposed of their lies, coverup, and treatment of the injuried men and they families, it turned me way off. Not only did they deny the condition for years, they tried to ruin the career of any neurologist who was honest about it. Scary people. There is good reason they paid off that 769 million dollar lawsuit. Sadly, the injuries are continuing.

I won't go on. I hate to ruin the fun on this thread. I understand that people love their sport. If you don't want to look at the sport in a different way, don't watch that documentary.
    Punkin likes this.

To the Point

I've seen the documentary and while I have great concern (always have) I am still able to enjoy the game. This information isn't brand new though they do know more than ever. I know that there is constant effort being made to better the protective gear but I do not feel that there is anyway that protective gear can ever completely protect the brain from all the jarring it takes with the hits. I do hope that parents of young kids playing sports are taking note and being a whole lot more cautious.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Going out in public today wearing my HEATH MILLER jersey. The combination isn't something I've tried yet this season - here's hoping it will help to FINALLY put one in the WIN column!
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

+ Reply to Thread