+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Like Tree186Likes

Thread: Nfl 2013 - 2014

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Nfl 2013 - 2014

Pats got their butts handed to them!!!! I am a serious Peyton Manning fan!!!!!

OMAHA!!!!!
    NCLurker and football_chick like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Denver is not my team, but I was rooting for them because I like Peyton so much more than I like Brady or Belichek, and I've always liked Elway. I'm glad the Broncos won,
    NCLurker and football_chick like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've never been interested in Denver.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I am a Baseball fan. Never watched pro football until, serendipitously, the first year we went to the Superbowl! Walsh, Montana, Lott, Craig, et al, what a crazy year! Topped off by "The Catch" to destroy Dallas! I was encouraged to become a big fan! Then Seifert, Young, Rice, et al, kept it going so that by the end of our run, we had 5 Superbowls, 5 Superbowl wins! Heady days! I didn't realize that you can't stay on top forever and that you could sink to be mediocre for a twenty year stretch. I stopped watching and have only been watching late and post-season games for the last few years that we have improved. I am a fair weather fan, I'll admit it. But I love my Giants, winning or losing!

I get caught up in the excitement of my team going the distance, but I also like some underdogs to get a chance at the same excitement for their own town and team. I waited so many years for my second favorite team, the Saints, to finally get their shot at a Superbowl and we were just leaving a vacation week there when they went to win their first Superbowl. The locals were insane when we were there! Having had that SB experience here in SF, I loved that NO got to have the same crazy, happy party we had enjoyed.

And if Seattle beats us today, I'll root for your team/town to go all the way and enjoy the most sublime football fan experience there is. Good luck to both of us today.

I only truly hate.............. The Marlins! Go Giants!

SHOWTIME!
    Last edited by Punkin; 01-19-2014 at 06:45 PM.

Punkin,

I grew up on the SF Giants, being born in Stockton, and my Uncle loved them...Of course, this was during the Juan Marichal/Willie Mays days. Then onto the SD Padres and Seattle Mariners...I am a fair weather fan now with baseball, probably because the Mariners haven't given us much to be excited about.

Win or lose today, this has been an exciting season for myself and the city of Seattle.
    Punkin likes this.

Ooooo Weeeee! Now THIS is a good game!
    Punkin likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Need More Omaha

Not only is Peyton Manning heading to his third Super Bowl, he made $24,800 for his charity during the AFC Championship Game.

Eight businesses will donate the money to Manning's Peyback Foundation after they committed to donate a combined $800 for each time he said the word "Omaha" at the line of scrimmage. Manning said "Omaha" 31 times during Sunday's game against the New England Patriots.

"This has been terrific for us," said David G. Brown, president and CEO of the Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce, which headed up the effort. "Before Friday, we had calculated that news coverage of Omaha had generated the equivalent of about $10 million in advertising."

That was before the chamber made a video highlighting some of its attractions, with Manning's "Omaha" calls in the background, which aired on some news stations in Denver.

Businesses based in Omaha that donated the money included Omaha Steaks, Mutual of Omaha, FNB Omaha, CenturyLink, ConAgra Foods, Union Pacific, DJ's Dugout and Cox Communications. Brown says he expects the program will now continue on to the Super Bowl, with each "Omaha" Manning utters being worth more money since more Omaha businesses will participate.

Sponsorship evaluation firm Front Row Analytics said the city of Omaha got its money worth with each verbal mention of Omaha worth the equivalent of $150,000 in advertising.

"This is really great for Omaha as a community and for the businesses that are embedded here," said Todd Simon, a senior vice president of Omaha Steaks, which his family owns. "Who knows whether any of this will translate to the bottom line, if ever, but it can't hurt."

The promotion with the chamber of commerce started after last week's game against the San Diego Chargers, when Manning said "Omaha" 44 times.

Brown said the city had no interaction with Manning or his representatives, but assumed Manning would accept the money.

The Peyback Foundation has a mission of promoting success among disadvantaged kids. In 2012, the last year in which the charity's filings are public, the Peyback Foundation raised $1.6 million and donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to youth organizations in Indiana, Tennessee and Louisiana.

Manning himself is listed as president of the foundation, his father Archie is treasurer and secretary and his wife Ashley is vice president.
    2013 NFL playoffs -- Peyton Manning raises $24,800 for charity for 31 'Omaha' calls against New England Patriots - ESPN
    Last edited by football_chick; 01-19-2014 at 07:53 PM.
    Punkin likes this.

Now, that is really cool!!
    Punkin and NCLurker like this.

I can't believe how good this game is! I sure hope we get another great one for the Superbowl! I'll be rooting for whomever wins this game (I've always preferred the NFC to the AFC).
    Punkin and Ellen like this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Aw Shucks. Good Luck Seattle.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread