+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanley Cup Playoffs - Stanley Cup Finals

Stanley Cup Playoffs - Stanley Cup Finals

New Jersey Devils vs Anaheim Mighty Ducks

First game: Tuesday at 8 pm EST in New Jersey.
    Last edited by duckgirl; 05-25-2003 at 08:16 PM.

To the Ducks & Devils: please, please prove me wrong... Maybe they'll surprise us all by unveiling some crazy run & gun offenses...

My prediction is... Devils in 6?

But a Ducky Cup win would be the stuff of legend.
    ~M o s a i K~

Ducks in 6, at home.

But I have to wait for the monkey. Please tell me Maggie will pick the winner for this round too...

JR.
    Originally posted by Mosaik
    To the Ducks & Devils: please, please prove me wrong... Maybe they'll surprise us all by unveiling some crazy run & gun offenses...
    If there really is a God....

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    Who knows? Maybe...
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

...Still hoping here...

Came across this article on the front page of ESPN.com - funny because this is the second time this post-season that the "relationship" between a basketball team and a hockey team from the same city has become newsworthy (see Kevin Garnett on the Minnesota Wild).

Saturday, May 24
    Updated: May 24, 4:01 PM ET

Nets proud of Devils -- uh, that's their name, right?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Yes, the New Jersey Nets are aware that their arena-mates, the New Jersey Devils, are in the Stanley Cup finals.

But that's about all they know about the hockey team.

"Don't ask me to name three Devils,'' Nets coach Byron Scott said with a chuckle. "Stevenson, toughest guy on the team, I know that. I can't pronounce it, but the goalie, I love the way he plays. He got them in the finals; that's all that matters.''

As vague as that sounds, Scott was better informed than most of his players Saturday morning as the Nets prepared to emulate their Meadowlands brethren. New Jersey -- basketball version -- looked to finish a sweep of the Detroit Pistons on Saturday night to advance to the NBA Finals, one day after New Jersey -- hockey version -- did the NHL equivalent with a victory over the Ottawa Senators.

"It shows we've got some pretty good teams here in Jersey,'' Scott said. "The organization can be very proud of that.''

Scott and players Richard Jefferson, Kenyon Martin and Lucious Harris all said they had never seen a hockey game live. Jefferson at least had one advantage over his coach: He could pronounce the goalie's name.

"When we're playing, they're on the road,'' Jefferson said. "But I have seen the inside of their locker room. I'm trying to steal a Martin Brodeur jersey, but the equipment guy won't let me.

"I don't know much about hockey, but I know they're good. I know they're the one thing Jersey had to hang their hat on before Jason Kidd and the rest of us got here, so it's good to join the party.''

For Martin, the whole Nets-Devils, Jersey-pride, finals-together thing was a bit of a stretch.

"It'd be cool, I guess,'' Martin said. "They already won them a title, so we have to win ours.''

Harris was happy just to correctly guess the number of periods in a hockey game.

"Three periods? That's right?'' Harris said. "I don't skate.''

Scott was asked whether a dual national spotlight might help educate the rest of the country about the swampy northern end of the Garden State.

"I've learned everything I need to know about Jersey,'' said Scott, a California native in his third season with the team. "All I need to know is coming down 280 to the Jersey 'Pike to the office and the arena is always a pretty good trip. And I love 'The Sopranos.'"

With the Nets facing the possibility of a long break before the start of the NBA Finals, Scott might finally have a chance to see the Devils in person when they host Games 1 and 2 of the Stanley Cup finals Tuesday and Thursday.

"I'll have to go,'' Scott said. "I've heard it's much better in person anyway.''

Jefferson, though, suddenly curbed his Devils enthusiasm when it was suggested he could go, taking a quite a pause before giving his answer.

"Yeah, I wouldn't mind going,'' Jefferson said. "I wouldn't be able to watch too much of the game if I sat in the middle of the stands, so I might just have to check them out on TV.''
    ~M o s a i K~

eny
    FORT Fogey

The Raptors and the Leafs share an owner and a venue as well . The difference is they both suck .
    I'm sure the Most Raptors have never been to a hockey game and vise versa.I think its safe to say if you are a fan of one you aren't of the other.
    (See Paulie )

As for the games themselves for the final. I can only hope they aren't boring, and they do have some tricks up their sleeves.
    I have to say watching the hockey played mostly by the same players in the international tournament was way more entertaining
    A boring final going into the probable year off due to a labor dispute will help kill the league.

Hey Bettman - Killing a league in ten yrs, that it took over a hundred to build. Pretty impressive....

Originally posted by enygma

Hey Bettman - Killing a league in ten yrs, that it took over a hundred to build. Pretty impressive....

Bettman's evil.

I hope Anaheim can remember how to play, 10 days off is a LOT.

At least there are a few intriguing storylines coming out of this year: an Anaheim fairy tale ending + dual championship (Anaheim Angels) or a possible New Jersey dual championship (if the Nets succeed... NOT likely say I)!

Er... that's the best I could come up with to create interest for myself.

Bettman's done some things right and a LOT of things wrong in his tenure... The pending labour dispute sure, but I don't think we can blaim him for defensive style hockey though... can we? Can we???

On a related note, I am both a HUGE hockey fan and a HUGE basketball fan!
    ~M o s a i K~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 1234567891011 ... LastLast