+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanley Cup Playoffs - Stanley Cup Finals

I'd love a MD marathon on TBS or something. That'd be cool.

Ducks in 6. Please.

Maggie the Monkey is making her picks on the Mike Bullard show tomorrow. Check local listings.

BTW, her record is 8-6. Gord Miller's is 7-7. Hers is the same as Pierre's. Bob McKenzie is beating her at 9-5, and hopes she picks the ducks so she doesn't finish better than him because he picked them too.

Last year Bob Mckenzie had the best record of them all, it looks like that's what's going to happen happen! I say Ducks in 6

eny
    FORT Fogey
    In the media- the Devils are calling the Ducks "the underdog"

Well it should be underduck, and hey boys do ya think they might have been considered the least likely to win in the first 2 series especially, Wings (that they steamrolled)and the Stars.

Keep up that attitude and the Ducks are 4 wins away from the big ugly cup

Posted by enygma
    Hey Paulie told us you can't be a fan of both , I mean I think he did, I mean Wayner is a fan of both but Paulie doesn't think it's natural or something.... I can't comment as I'm not a basketball fan.
    Hehe can someone enlighten me with regards to the Paulie philosophy on basketball and hockey fandom? I did a search but didn't search hard enough to find anything!

I can't believe the NBA playoffs started a whole round later than the NHL playoffs, and here we are practically caught up... So once again hockey is left to compete with basketball for viewership... dumb dumb dumb.
    ~M o s a i K~

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Well its a long story having to do with last years playoffs and Paulie being an allegedly bad basketball player. It was kind of a walk chew gum thing from what I gathered.
    It took Wayner to enlighten us

It is stupid as everyone sits around for the rest of the year with nothing to do...

We dare not speak of the dark time I call "the off-season" yet, eny. Still a whole round to go.

I'd gladly choose ancient chinese water torture over being forced to watch America's favorite pastime...

Regular season baseball, thou art the bane of my existence.

In a perfect world, hockey season would go from September to May and basketball season would run from January to the end of June (leaving us 2 months to vacation... right?)
    ~M o s a i K~

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Well My son would appreciate that, But I just watch NHL channel all summer . It's worth it just to have it on the off season.

Paul says I'm not going to be bored. Ok Paul if you say so

By PIERRE LEBRUN
    Canadian Press
    ADVERTISEMENT

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J.

Paul Kariya insists this year's Stanley Cup final will not be a snooze-fest.

Just because his Anaheim Mighty Ducks love the trap as much as the New Jersey Devils does not mean hockey fans should tune out the NHL championship, which opens Tuesday night (CBC, 8 p.m. EDT).

"Even low-scoring games can be exciting," Kariya, in his first Cup final, said Monday after practice at Continental Airlines Arena. "If you have seen some of the saves J.S. (Giguere) has made in the playoffs, that makes for good television.

"Yes, there are two great defensive teams - the Devils have been doing it for a long time - but there are also two great skating teams. I think there will be some offensive chances and like I said, a great save or a great goal is the same. It's the Stanley Cup final and I'm sure everyone will be tuning in."

Most Canadian hockey fans are sophisticated enough to appreciate a well-played defensive game but whether or not they care who wins between New Jersey and Anaheim is another matter. The NHL will tell you it is thrilled to have the two largest TV markets in North America in the final, but this isn't the New York Rangers against the Los Angeles Kings.

Even in their own backyard the Devils are playing second fiddle to the NBA's Nets, who have reached their championship final.

So a 1-0 game Tuesday night would be a nightmare for the NHL and its U.S. TV partner ESPN.

"The perception is that it might be (a defensive series)," Devils head coach Pat Burns said after his team's practice later in the afternoon. "I think there's going to be good hockey games between two teams that resemble each other.

"They said Game 7 (versus Ottawa) was supposed to be awful and it turned out to be a pretty good one. I think you'll see some chances on both sides (in the Cup final)."

New Jersey's seven-game win over Ottawa in the Eastern Conference final was a low-scoring yet thrilling series.

"This is what I saw when I watched the games: I saw (Scott) Niedermayer beat their defenceman to waive off an icing," rookie Ducks head coach Mike Babcock said Monday. "So this premise that everyone has about defence Defence means when you don't have the puck you're professional without the thing. (The Devils) attack like crazy.

"I mean, I don't know if it's all about defence," he added. "I think it's about getting on offence as fast as you possibly can. I think that's how both teams play."

Devils goalie Martin Brodeur says the fact that two defensive teams are matched up doesn't necessarily mean low-scoring games.

"I think it's going to be a great series if you ask me," said Brodeur. "A lot of the offence on both teams has come from the checking lines and you don't see that too often. "Definitely it could become a chess match at times but surprisingly sometimes when two defensive teams play each other it goes the other way."

While both clubs are defensive-minded, they are not exactly the same. The Ducks are a better-skating team that can create more offence. Kariya, Adam Oates and Petr Sykora are dangerous weapons for Anaheim.

As for New Jersey, career checker Jamie Langenbrunner is having a career season but he should not be the leading scorer in the post-season for the Devils. If Patrik Elias (six points) and Scott Gomez (seven points) don't step it up offensively in this series New Jersey could be hard-pressed to beat Anaheim.

"I'd like to see them produce a little more just like I'd see other guys produce a little bit more," said a grumpy as usual Burns. "I thought they played well enough in Game 7 (versus Ottawa). They has some scoring chances - I though Gomez had quite a few scoring chances - but you have to put those away.

"You have to bear down and those are the ones than can make a difference in the game."

The media have labelled the Devils favourites, hardly surprising considering they've been to the Cup final three times since 1995 and won twice. They have 22 Cup rings in total on their roster compared to only three on the Anaheim side, one of those coming when Sykora played in New Jersey.

But don't sell Anaheim short. The Ducks were one of the NHL's hottest teams in the second half of the season, going 25-12-2-3 compared to New Jersey's 23-8-8-3 record. And remember the Ducks swept the defending champion Detroit Red Wings in the first round.

"The Ducks are here for a reason, they beat some pretty good teams in Detroit and Dallas," said Devils centre Joe Nieuwendyk, a question mark for Game 1 with a supposed hip injury. "They are not here by accident."

Dude, just perv on him. That's not boring.

Also, MAGGIE PICKED THE DUCKS! SHE PICKED THE DUCKS!

+ Reply to Thread