+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Lance Armstrong To Lose Tour Titles

Re: Lance Armstrong To Lose Tour Titles

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Not sure if I really believe that.
    Oh it is... Frank Shleck got taken out during last year's race. He wasn't doping. He tested positive, but it was due to a natural supplement he was taking. The riders now get testing often during the race. It ruined his race that year, and it wasn't fair to him. It's a much different race now than it was when Lance was racing.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    don't know how i happened to miss this thread until i stumbled up on it just now, but . . .

We're all on the same page: Buddy is as guilty as two left shoes and four dead flies.

Sure, they made him the subject of a witch hunt. But, imho, he opened the door for that through his arrogance, bullying, etc. They just ran through it whenever they saw even a glimmer of an opportunity to do so.

Like, his "comeback", for example.

I'm pretty much in agreement with lucynda's entire post: He wasn't a good person, he was a bully and people kept accusing/pointing the finger at him.

And, usually, where there's smoke, there's fire.

Do i feel sorry for him?

Nope.

I might've, if i'd seen even one scintilla of actual regret on his part. Remorse. Humility. Or, if he'd actually told the truth, instead of turning on the crocodile tear waterworks that he felt nobody'd see through. Beyond finally saying that he doped, i pretty much wouldn't believe a word out of his mouth. Ever. Even if he were standing on an altar in a church somewhere, clutching a bible in one hand, a rosary in the other, and spouting lines from "the lord's prayer" in between whatever his latest lies and/or sins of omission might be.

Feel sorry for him because of the witch hunt?

Hell, no.

Karma might've taken her own sweet time to get around to him.

But, she finally made it, in her own sweet time.

Jmho.

Totally agree with you, ness!!!!!!
    KAREN

I think if he had just denied doping it would be possibly forgivable, but that fact that he went after people with lawsuits.... it just takes it to a whole other level. Just MHO.
    Shoepie likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

What really bothers me is that what if you are an innocent cyclist and a few people get together to get you ousted, for whatever reason. Perhaps they don't like your personality. They can actually do it, if they get enough people to say you doped. Even without real evidence it can happen. It makes me dislike that sport.

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I think if he had just denied doping it would be possibly forgivable, but that fact that he went after people with lawsuits.... it just takes it to a whole other level. Just MHO.

I don't think so, nor should he ever be forgiven
    He was someone I thought I liked and admired I didn't know that side of Lance, that everyone else seem to know. I don't care what happens to him. The way he treated his team mates that were subpoenaed to talk about what happened, he threatened/bullied them as well- nasty, nasty, nasty
    He was a nasty bully, and I am not convinced 100% now, that all the drugs he took, didn't add to his cancer.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    No doubt about it, the man has been & is being targeted far above & beyond anyone else. They wanted to disgrace him. It was personal.

This reminds me a lot of the Pete Rose situation in baseball. Others have cheated. Some far worse, to the point of affecting the outcome of the games, but NONE have been punished as harshly & permanently as Pete Rose. Witch hunt/target. Nothing more.

Both men were guilty of breaking the rules, plain & simple. Both have admitted it. But both were victims of a witch hunt that went to extremes to bring down a winner, while others were either given a slap on the hand or ignored.

Guilty or not (& it's now fully apparant that he is) I still feel very sorry for what was done to Armstrong.
    I defended Armstrong and while I'm incredibly disappointed, I agree with everything you've said. There is a vindictiveness to his accusers that is shocking. He's being reviled in a manner that you would think would be reserved for a serial killer.

I'm a fan of Alexander Ovechkin (pro hockey player for the Washington Capitals). A year or two ago, a sports writer - with an apparent personal axe to grind - suggested that Ovechkin must be using steriods (because of a long-term scoring slump). His evidence? Ovechkin's mother was an elite athlete in Russia - she played basketball - and it's common knowledge that Russian female athletes are all on steriods because of their large size. Ergo, Ovechkin is a steriod user.

Yes, a lot of top athletes are not very nice. When you are that driven to excel and to win, selfishness and ruthlessness is often part of the equation. Pro sports has been a cesspool for a long time, but we see more and more of it in amateur sports now, and it manifests in a variety of ways. The win becomes everything.
    Debb70 likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey

He denied many the title and endorsements had they won. All those racers who came in second must be incredibly upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    He denied many the title and endorsements had they won. All those racers who came in second must be incredibly upset.
    They were most likely juicing too, only not as effectively. Since all of this has hit the fan it's become well known that it was widespread during that time. The sport was a mess in this regard.

That's why I'm disgusted at the targeting that Armstrong has received. He's just being used as an example & a grudge match.

The guy may be a major jerk, but that doesn't mean he deserved to be targeted to the extent that he has been. Professional sports is loaded with major jerks. I think it's the arrogance. Some manage to to avoid it, but I think they're the rarity.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    They were most likely juicing too, only not as effectively. Since all of this has hit the fan it's become well known that it was widespread during that time. The sport was a mess in this regard.

That's why I'm disgusted at the targeting that Armstrong has received. He's just being used as an example & a grudge match.

The guy may be a major jerk, but that doesn't mean he deserved to be targeted to the extent that he has been. Professional sports is loaded with major jerks. I think it's the arrogance. Some manage to to avoid it, but I think they're the rarity.
    I think he got what he deserved. He lied under oath, & he took many people to court.He believed is own lies
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Well, what makes me a little suspicious is that they are not awarding the titles to the second-place finishers, nor the third, etc. Which makes me think that Miss Scarlet is right - they were using as well. I'm just guessing, but I think the only reason those others have not been sanctioned is because they were used to help bust Armstrong in exchange for a pass.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast