+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Lance Armstrong To Lose Tour Titles

FORT Fogey

Re: Lance Armstrong To Lose Tour Titles

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I didn't know cortisone was a banned substance, either. It is very commonly administered for pain and swelling, and it's often used for sports injuries. I am starting to question the USADA's scope and apparent omnipotence.
    I'm shocked by this too. I've had cortisone shots in both of my shoulders (not fun) and I can honestly say it improved my quality of life immensely. I find it hard to imagine how it could be used to give an advantage. All it does is reduce pain so an athlete can participate in rehabilitation. It restores the body to it's natural state, the same way surgical options or just plain tylenol would do. It's quite common among swimmers to receive cortisone shots in the shoulders or upper back. Is this just a cycling issue?

CCL

Cortisone is only allowed in most sports with a therepeutic use exemption (basically it has to be prescribed by a doctor, with supporting documentation provided). There's a lot of things that are banned that theoretically make a person's life better (like certain cold medicines etc).
    Last edited by CCL; 08-26-2012 at 03:10 AM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

That's still a huge problem, though - the article I posted specifically points to a cyclist that received a 2-year punishment even after if was conceded that the amount of substance was minuscule, did not affect performance, & was likely ingested inadvertently. After reading that, I fully support Armstrong's decision not to fight. It's obviously pointless.
    justCoz likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    That's still a huge problem, though - the article I posted specifically points to a cyclist that received a 2-year punishment even after if was conceded that the amount of substance was minuscule, did not affect performance, & was likely ingested inadvertently. After reading that, I fully support Armstrong's decision not to fight. It's obviously pointless.
    That's what I thought of after I read it. What would be the point? To get banned anyway like that other guy, who by the way would have only gotten a one year ban if only someone else not him had kept their mouth shut. WTH? I don't blame him at all for not fighting anymore. At some point for sanity's sake it makes sense. What I feel is absurd is that because he quit fighting (after years and years and years) that's a supposed admission of guilt? I realize it's not a court but it certainly seems shameful to me that they are presuming guilt rather than innocence, particularly considering how many drug tests he took and passed.

Between him and the other guy mentioned it doesn't seem worth it to "win" the Tour de France.

I can't understand how anyone would have a desire to advance in this sport if you are a sitting duck once you reach the top and can be stripped of your titles based soley on another's allegation. It's extremely disturbing IMO. How do you keep fans of the sport with stuff like this. I would think it would turn off many and really hurt them in the longrun.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I can't understand how anyone would have a desire to advance in this sport if you are a sitting duck once you reach the top and can be stripped of your titles based soley on another's allegation. It's extremely disturbing IMO. How do you keep fans of the sport with stuff like this. I would think it would turn off many and really hurt them in the longrun.
    This is the part that bothers me. He hasn't failed the tests, not even with miniscule amounts. That should be what they judge on. Not the unsubstantiated words of bitter rivals.

What's surprising me is that public support is overwhelming in favor of Lance. But the media is the complete opposite. Darned near everything I read is tearing him to ribbons, calling him a cheat, a fraud, an imposter, etc. They're just not reflecting the views of the fans & general public.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

CCL

We haven't seen all the evidence; how do we know it the allegations are wholly unsubstantiated? And there were a number of people prepared to testify, including former teammates; they can't all be necessarily termed bitter rivals.
    I don't know that the media has been overwhelmingly against Armstrong. I've seen a number of articles that have been supportive of him, pointing out problems/issues with the authorities etc. And there are clearly issues, as evidenced in the article that AJane posted earlier, with the process.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I don't really get why he stopped fighting if he's innocent. I understand he's frustrated and angry but by giving up it makes him look guilty to a lot of people.

Perhaps, but not to me. The USADA is a brick wall and you can only bang your head against it for so long before you do yourself some serious damage.

They started with the verdict they wanted and then worked backwards - skewing the facts - to make it seem like they were right all along.

Screw 'em.
    Florimel likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

CCL

So he's been formally stripped of his titles and now the insurance company who had to pay out 7.5 million in performance bonuses to him is suing to get it back. Thoughts? While I do now think he is more likely guilty than not, the whole situation is rather crappy.
    Florimel and momrek06 like this.

I've been keeping up with the media reports but I'm waiting to see if he is going to release a statement. I find it hard to believe that he found time to run the biggest sports doping ring of all time, and I think it's suspicious that these teammates suddenly came forward just as the USADA went after Armstrong's head. Are these lesser-known, undoubtably less-wealthy/famous teammates afraid of the USADA? Or afraid of facing similar legal action? I don't know that I'd blame them if they were. I also find it suspect that they have chosen not to award the titles to the other finishers. Something just seems wrong.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast