+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: NHL Hockey - 2011-2012

Re: NHL Hockey - 2011-2012

As far as I understand, the owners want the players to take a 20% pay cut because, as they say, certain market teams aren't making any money. Only a handful of players are making the big, big bucks, the superstars if you will. Some of the grinders, the 4th liners, make good money when you compare it to the average joe plumber but they also (the goons if you will) often have a very short window of opportunity to make a good salary as injuries can end a career in a heartbeat. 20% is a lot to ask anyone to swallow, especially when you have owners like the Wild's Craig Leipold who stated in April

"We're not making money, and that's one reason we need to fix our system. We need to fix how much we're spending right now. [The Wild's] revenues are fine. We're down a little bit in attendance, but we're up in sponsorships, we're up in TV revenue. And so the revenue that we're generating is not the issue as much as our expenses. And [the Wild's] biggest expense by far is player salaries."
    From Minnesota Wild, owner Craig Leipold validate need for cap circumventing long-term deals in NHL | Puck Daddy - Yahoo! Sports

The article then goes on to say

Leipold's words in April and deeds in July make him a hypocrite: Crying about expenses related to player salaries, and then adding $196 million in expenses for two players. Unless, of course, he meant the Wild would fix their spending levels by inflating them for the two largest contracts in franchise history.
    The people negotiating, on both sides, are out of touch, IMO. You can't complain about it one moment and then crow about spending so much money the next. Ridiculous.

My question is, the last time this happened and they locked the players out, I thought they fixed all the issues. Now suddenly here we are only a few years later and the system is completely broken again? Doesn't make sense. I agree with Mr. Sweetpea, the players make too much money, but then again so do actors and musicians when you compare them to the regular worker.

They want a share of the profits and their pay. It wasn't like this before they all had managers, funny the poorest( which in itself is a joke) can afford one of those
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    These two groups need a kick in the butt to get real, get talking, and salvage the season. It's all posturing and it's ridiculous. I'd like for the owners and the players to have to live like real people for a bit, just to get a little perspective. Idiots.

I want my hockey!! I want my HNIC, Don Cherry included!! lol
    It infuriates me that we are expected to understand the details of their negotiations. The way I see it, pro hockey players didn't care about me & my union when we were on the verge of strike action and I don't give a damn about their contracts either. I want to be entertained and I want it now!
    sweetpea likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I guess they are going to start cancelling the games for the start of this season . I heard Wayne Gretzky say it should all be worked out by Jan 1st 2013. Well its October 2012. ( sheesh )

We are going to take in a couple of junior games this weekend.They still play because they love the game
    -Andy Rooney-

My boyfriends first hockey game of the season is tonight so at least we'll have a bit of distraction and I still get to watch and cheer on my favorite team! Go Knights!!

Gotta make sure my travel mug and caesar mixins are ready to go

If I can't see Henrik Lundqvist I might be the rare Swede that actually starts a protest. In all seriousness, though, Madison Square Garden in NYC was hit very hard by the losses from the NBA lockout last year and losing Hockey revenue on top of that would be really detrimental for them so I hope they resolve this soon for hockey fans and everyone that earns a living from the sport.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

As a Capitals fan, I really hope they get a deal done soon, otherwise, it will be a long winter for me watching the Redskins and Wizards

I wouldn't hold my breath though, given that the leaders on both sides have reputations for being stubburn. Bettman was commissioner during the last lockout which cost the entire 2004-05 season. And Donald Fehr, leader of the NHL union, led the MLB union into the strike that forced the cancellation of the 1994 World Series.

They already canceled a few games.
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    They already canceled a few games.
    And... I'm NOT happy about that! Its hockey! A sports game! Which everybody seems to get paid a boat load of money.... and NOBODY is happy?

I would LOVE to get paid a ton of money to play a sport I love....

Quote Originally Posted by I'm here View Post
    And... I'm NOT happy about that! Its hockey! A sports game! Which everybody seems to get paid a boat load of money.... and NOBODY is happy?

I would LOVE to get paid a ton of money to play a sport I love....
    My son was here. He is in deep mourning, but mad at everyone concerned
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast