+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 57 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Tennis

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: Tennis

That week went by so quickly!

Here we are - nearly at the end of the 2012 Australian Open - and it's a match-up between . . . . . . . wait for it . . . . . . . Nole and Rafa!

Just as well for me. Love 'em both. Really doesn't matter which one wins.

Having Rafa defeat Federer pleased me as much as anything could. Nole put up an awesome fight against Murray, who is much better than he gets credit for.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post

Here we are - nearly at the end of the 2012 Australian Open - and it's a match-up between . . . . . . . wait for it . . . . . . . Nole and Rafa!

Having Rafa defeat Federer pleased me as much as anything could. Nole put up an awesome fight against Murray, who is much better than he gets credit for.
    Poor Murray, he is in an era with these 3 fantastic players. I do hope he doesn't end up as Todd Martin (whom I loved!) , so close, but no GS.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post

I love Nole but I agree - Murray is a stellar player and put up a good fight today.

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Poor Murray, he is in an era with these 3 fantastic players. I do hope he doesn't end up as Todd Martin (whom I loved!) , so close, but no GS.
    I loved Todd Martin too! I came across a match between him and John McEnroe about a week ago. It was fun to see him play again!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I loved Todd Martin too! I came across a match between him and John McEnroe about a week ago. It was fun to see him play again!

Todd is from my area! He spent some time coaching. I always enjoyed watching him.

Wow Sharapova got steamrolled!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Count me in among the Todd Martin fans. I always enjoyed watching him play.

I'm so pleased that Sharapova lost badly. Her shrieks ruined women's tennis for me and so many others have followed her example. I only watch matches now with women who don't make those horrendous noises. Funny how the slighest noise from the stands distracts the players enough for complains and umpire warnings to the crowd, but the elephant trumpets and peacock noises from opponents during play don't seem to bother them.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Azarenka is known for her shrieking too, so you kind of break even on that one. I was happy to see someone win who hasn't won before. You could tell Sharapova was wrecked, emotionally, by that loss. I have to give her props - she really held it together and stayed classy during the trophy ceremony. I really felt for her, especially because of that second set. That's got to be tough.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Is anyone else up late/early watching the men's final? It's totally nerve-wracking! I really want Nole to pull out the win, but I'm worried his nerves will get the better of him. I'm also hoping he can win in four, because I don't know if I can stay up to watch a 5th set. I'm really tired!

Right now they're on serve in the 4th. With my luck, they'll go to a tie-breaker in the 5th! ARGH!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Is anyone else up late/early watching the men's final? It's totally nerve-wracking! I really want Nole to pull out the win, but I'm worried his nerves will get the better of him. I'm also hoping he can win in four, because I don't know if I can stay up to watch a 5th set. I'm really tired!

Right now they're on serve in the 4th. With my luck, they'll go to a tie-breaker in the 5th! ARGH!
    I woke up around the middle of the 4th set and watched it until the end. I cannot believe they played almost 6 hours of tennis! Two outstanding, amazing athletes!

Would have been happy with the result either way but a little bit happier Nole won I remember the days when Nole was so immature he would get mad if the fans were cheering for his opponent and his box would get all whiny. Glad to see he has matured over the years and become an exceptional tennis player.

Critical - have you crashed yet?

Quote Originally Posted by football_chick View Post
    I woke up around the middle of the 4th set and watched it until the end. I cannot believe they played almost 6 hours of tennis! Two outstanding, amazing athletes!

Would have been happy with the result either way but a little bit happier Nole won I remember the days when Nole was so immature he would get mad if the fans were cheering for his opponent and his box would get all whiny. Glad to see he has matured over the years and become an exceptional tennis player.

Critical - have you crashed yet?
    I lasted until, I think 6-6 in the 4th and then, because I was SURE Rafa would win and I didn't want to watch, AND because I was exhausted, I went to bed! I don't think I would have made it until the end, considering how long the match was, but I wish I'd been able to see it. If Federer couldn't get the win, I'm happy it was Nole. NOT a Rafa fan at all.

ETA: If anyone missed the match and wants to see it, ESPN2 is running it tonight, starting at 6pm - that's PST, not sure about any other time zone. That means I can tune in around 11:00 to start watching the part I missed!
    Last edited by Critical; 01-29-2012 at 06:38 PM.

+ Reply to Thread