+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 57 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Tennis

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: Tennis

Love the comeback Nole made. I am sure he's going to get a lot of flack for being "cocky" in the 5th set, but you won't hear it from me. The thing is, the very same people who'd call him 'arrogant' would use the word 'confident' if it had been Federer who did the head nod and enticed the crowd to cheer. Whatever!!!

Looking forward to the match on Monday. Could have used it today . . . . would have been a welcome diversion from that butt-kicking the Steelers took from the dirty bird Ravens.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

No surprise, I HATED that Federer - Djokovic match!

Also no surprise, Serena's keeping it classy, as usual. Go Stosur!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Yeah - what happened to Serena? I thought she was more mature this year?

I gave up watching "chick tennis" years ago when the volume of the grunting/shrieking became unbearable, so I'll have to count on the sportscast to catch me up tonight. I know Serena lost in straight sets, but that's the extent of my knowledge.

She didn't like a call, so she started smack-talking the chair umpire. Basically, she yelled out "Come on!" really loudly, right before Stosur hit the ball after Serena's return. She didn't grunt or shriek, she yelled, loudly. The chair ump gave the point (and because it was 30-40 on Serena's serve, the game) to Stosur. The head official later backed up the call, saying that it was correct. Stosur faltered for several games after that and Serena was antagonizing the chair ump on one of the changeovers.

I guess she took a year off from being a bad sport. In most sports, everyone is the victim of what they think is a bad call from time to time. The way an athlete handles those moments reveals their character. It's obvious that Serena didn't rise to the occasion.

Frankly, I don't enjoy watching baseline tennis where the players just bash the heck out of the ball. There's no finesse. It's just about muscle and I don't find that interesting. I wonder if we're ever going to see a player reach the top of the ranks playing serve and volley tennis. I hope so, because I miss watching it. Nowadays, most players seem to avoid the net like it's radioactive.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Wow, did Serena implode!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I did catch the 'action' on the news this morning. Serena even seemed to accuse the chair ump of being the same one she had ISSUES with the last time. I am guessing she was referring to the same one who was threaten with having a ball shoved down her throat (peppered with the f word at least 3 times).

Is age getting the best of this Williams sister too?

I do think Serena has the talent still. For me out of the two, she seems to get the most vocal when she is not doing well, Venus seems alot quieter. I think with her its a case of not being on her game, getting frustrated and angry and lashing out. Think of how many tennis players have behaved this way. It doesn't make it right at all, but I'm not a player so I can't relate.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Congrats (again) to Nole on his victory (again) over Rafa.

Love both these guys, but Rafa can't seem to catch a break in the final.

Today was the first day of play in the Australian Open.

So glad to have tennis back (although there always seems to be tennis somewhere, just not with the players I want to see).

Rafa and Federer are on the same of the draw. Hoping for a Nole vs Rafa finish!

+ Reply to Thread