+ Reply to Thread
Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 226263646566676869707172
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: Tennis

Re: Tennis

I loved hearing from McEnroe about how well-liked Roger is by all the other players and what a class act he is. You can definitely see that in how people are reacting to him as he makes his way through the crowd of members of the tennis club. SO happy for him.

Now it's down to Roger and Nadal for who will end the year at #1. Incredible! I can't believe those are the two at the top in 2017!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I wonder if Andy Murray stuck around to see his brother win Mixed Doubles with Martina Hingis. That was a great match too! Nice to see Martina enjoying a second career as a doubles player. She's still young too. She could be playing for decades.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I loved hearing from McEnroe about how well-liked Roger is by all the other players and what a class act he is. You can definitely see that in how people are reacting to him as he makes his way through the crowd of members of the tennis club. SO happy for him.

Now it's down to Roger and Nadal for who will end the year at #1. Incredible! I can't believe those are the two at the top in 2017!
    They both excelled on their favorite surfaces. Rafa is the GOAT on clay and Roger is the GOAT on grass. To be back on top for both of them is wonderful. If only Venus could have won, it would have been a perfect Wimbledon. I missed the match as I was at the nursing home. I only saw the first set. And it went to fast too! I saw something on the news that Cilic was crying. What happened?
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Cilic seemed to have an injury he was dealing with, but there was not a lot known about it. Early in the match he slipped at one point, and on the change over after that, he had the doctor come out. The doctor did not do any sort of exam, just talked to him and that was when he cried. Later on they had a trainer come out and remove some tape from his foot. The belief was that he may have had a minor injury which was made worse by the fall, but to the best of my knowledge none of that was ever confirmed. McEnroe observed a few moments where it seemed to be bothering him, and others where it seemed he was fine.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

A shame if he was injured. I like to see both at their best, not one hobbled.

FORT Fogey

I agree. I commented to friends yesterday that with as many injuries as there were on the men's side, I think the men's trophy truly should have been handed to Federer's trainer and physio team. I've not made any secret that I'm not a fan of Fed, and that likely plays into my thinking. But this win didn't feel as much like he dominated the field as it did like no one else showed up fully healthy and he was able to take advantage of that. That said, physical health is clearly a huge part of tennis, and if Roger is able to hold up better than other players, he gets credit for it. But it feels like a more hallow victory. I've felt sympathy for the women this year for much the same reason. It feels like any champion is going to have the message of "Yeah, but Serena was out" following them around.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

Eh, I guess no matter what a player does, someone will find a way to diminish their achievements. It's "Serena wasn't there" or "Murray and Nole were injured." IMO, winning a Slam is an accomplishment no matter what. The fact is that Roger is 36 freaking years old and he beat men a decade or more younger than he is to win Wimbledon. Not only that, he DOMINATED. He never lost a set. Heck, he didn't even lose many service games. I don't think there needs to be any asterisk next to a win like that and I'm sure none of the other players would feel there needs to be one either. We've all seen top players get ousted by qualifiers. The seeds matter, but they also don't determine the winner. The players still have to show up and PLAY the match. As I say about most things (and not just sports), "That's why they play the World Series." You can rank players or teams or predict how something is going to go, but none of that matters when it comes down to it. It real life, not fantasy football.

Has you guys seen this? I was in stitches over Clijsters' reaction:
    https://thewest.com.au/news/offbeat/...-ng-b88538126z

Djokovic is missing the rest of the 2017 season with an elbow injury.

Aw, that's a bummer. Do we know if it's orthopedic or a tendon/muscle issue?

+ Reply to Thread