Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Tennis

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: Tennis

No tennis today . . . . too much rain.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Poo

I suppose this means they'll roll out the Connors - Krickstein match from 1991 again.
    Little Sew&Sew and AcookerTV like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Darn, I am off today and was looking forward to a nice day of tennis!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Darn, I am off today and was looking forward to a nice day of tennis!
    Me too! I was looking forward to a whole day and night filled with tennis. Guess we'll have to wait until tomorrow now. Good thing I'm on vacation all week!

Here's an update on the schedule:

Rain Washes Out Play at U.S. Open
    By LYNN ZINSER

Rain again paid an unwelcome visit to the United States Open on Tuesday, washing out the day and night sessions and postponing the men’s and women’s fourth-round singles matches until Wednesday. Weather has created such regular chaos with the Open schedule — it has delayed the men’s final from Sunday to Monday each of the last three years — that cancelations and delays have become as much a part of the scene at the National Tennis Center as overpriced sandwiches.

Under the refigured schedule, No. 2 Rafael Nadal will play Gilles Mueller in the first match at Arthur Ashe Stadium at 11 a.m., followed by No. 1 Novak Djokovic against Janko Tipsarevic. The night matches on Ashe will be Serena Williams against Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova and No. 3 Roger Federer against Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

The new schedule puts Andy Roddick against No. 5 David Ferrer at Armstrong Stadium — the first time Roddick will play on a court other than Ashe in eight years. That will be followed by No. 9 Samantha Stosur against No. 2 Vera Zvonereva.

No. 4 Andy Murray will play the American Donald Young in the first match on the Grandstand, followed by John Isner against Gilles Simon.

That condenses two days of matches into a day, so if the rain holds off the rest of the week, the tournament would remain on schedule to finish Sunday. Further delays or cancelations would complicate things further.

Each year that rain scrambles the Open schedule it becomes more notable as the Grand Slam most likely to stretch longer than scheduled.

The United States Tennis Association has backed away from putting a roof over cavernous Ashe stadium, particularly after receiving an estimate of $150 million to $200 million to do so in 2009. The organization said it was difficult to spend that much on a stadium that is used only several weeks a year instead of investing it in its core mission: promoting grass-roots tennis programs.

But last November, the U.S.T.A. did discuss plans for a renovation of the tennis center that would cost upwards of $300 million. Reportedly, it would involve the demolition of Louis Armstrong Stadium and the Grandstand Court, replacing them with separate stadiums, the new Armstrong being “roof-ready.”

The U.S.T.A. spokesman Chris Widmaier said, however, that the organization had not committed to a plan.

“We have discussed a lot of ideas, but I can’t say that is the actual plan,” he said. “Whatever happens, we will be coordinating it with the city of New York, which is our landlord.”
    Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/07/sp...-out-play.html
    Last edited by football_chick; 09-06-2011 at 07:44 PM.

The players who got their round of 16 matches in yesterday are really going to have a serious advantage now!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post

I suppose this means they'll roll out the Connors - Krickstein match from 1991 again.
    "This is what they paid for, this is what they want!"

I could watch that match on a loop, that’s how much I love Jimmy Connors. If it weren’t for Jimmy and those two weeks in 1991, I don’t know if I would have developed my never ending series of jock crushes and then Rafa might have had one less stalker. So it seems like Rafa is campaigning for an official players union along with the other top players to varying degrees. Just when I thought I couldn’t love Raf any more, he's out community organizing the players when they've really needed a union for a long time.

And Andy Roddick really does seem to work up an attitude way too easily. It seemed cool when McEnroe and Connors had an edge back in the day mostly because it came across as an inherent part of their complex personalities and somewhat understandable in that context. Andy just seems so snarky and mean when he gets going like that.

And now Roger has gotten snagged into the rain delays. ETA: I just checked the draw, and if Roger doesn’t play tonight he’ll be in the same boat as Rafa’s, the Andys' and John Isner's half of the draw. That will leave Nole as the primary one with a huge advantage. And, with the way he’s been playing, he’s the one who needs it the least, I think. It's great to see John Isner make it to the Quarters.

They did move the Men's final to Monday, though. I think this is the fourth year in a row, so New York in early September is becoming more rainy than Wimbledon. Tonight should be the last of the rain, though. I actually have to go on a trip for work for a week on Saturday, so I'm hoping the day they are giving the guys off is Saturday since I won't be able to watch any of the matches that day and the women's matches usually run more true to seeding.
    Last edited by chrisg; 09-08-2011 at 09:11 PM.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Sorry for the double post, but I can't edit again and just saw that the schedule is up for tomorrow. There are no women's matches scheduled that I see, just Murray/Isner and Nadal/Roddick (in that order starting at Noon EST) and then the rest of the matches scheduled are doubles matches. So the Women's Semis, I guess, will be played Saturday, while the men, I think, will have that day off and then Sunday should be the Men's Semis and Women's Final (what should have been Super Saturday) with the Men's Final Monday. That's the only thing that makes sense, I think, but I can't find confirmation of that on USOpen.org other than those two Men's Quarterfinal matches scheduled for tomorrow along with doubles matches.

Federer/Tsonga are back out there so that's good news. I also forgot to mention how weird it was that they couldn't play on Louis Armstrong today and had A-Rod and Caroline Wozniacki out on Court 13. I'm not sure if a crack in the court like that can be fixed without repaving the court, so it's a good thing that it happened later in the tournament or they would have another ongoing scheduling nightmare.

ETA: Caroline and Serena are in the same half of the draw, so I'm definitely going to set the DVR for that semifinal (If they ever release the schedule for it ).
    Last edited by chrisg; 09-08-2011 at 10:14 PM.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

They did update the schedule: Schedule of Play | Schedule | 2011 US Open Official Site - A USTA Event

I remember watching the Connors - Krickstein match in 1991. It looked like Connors was going down, I went to the airport to pick someone up and the match was on in all the bars there and Connors was coming back. I got home in time to see him win the match. It seems like just yesterday, probably because they've rerun the match every year during rain delays!

It wasn't just Rafa spearheading the call for a union - Andy Murray and Andy Roddick were also involved.

ITA about Roddick, chris. It's not what he says, it's how he says it. Even when he was showing the water on Armstrong today, he sounded like an abrasive jerk. The court was literally seeping water in spots, so it's not unreasonable to NOT want to play on that court. I'm surprised the officials weren't paying better attention to that. Those were some lucky fans that got to watch Roddick and Ferrer play out on Court 13!

The Connors- Krickstein match was a classic. I'm kind of glad they dragged that one out. I will say thank you God Wimbledon now has a roof.... I remember a couple of years when we saw the Sampras -Agassi final over and over again. Enough!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Nole did it again! Epic match between him and Federer.

+ Reply to Thread