+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 69 FirstFirst ... 195960616263646566676869
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: Tennis

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: Tennis

I was cheering for Rafa too. Woke up around 5 AM (east coast time) and checked updates online. They were at 2 sets each. I went back to sleep with visions of a trophy bite, but it wasn't to be.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Serena is out for 2017... she's pregnant!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Wow. I wish I understood more of the real circumstances of her suspension to know how I feel about this. I know she's said that the whole thing came from using a medication she thought was okay, but it wasn't. If it WAS an honest mistake, the whole thing seems harsh. Though if someone was cheating and got caught, it seems that's the explanation they'd likely offer.

I tend to think that if the governing body of tennis says it's legal for her to be back, tournaments should treat it like an injury return with consideration for a wild card. I'm not sure I like the idea of "governing body says its okay, but tournaments know better". Though I say that recognizing there's a lot about this story I may not know which could change my mind ... maybe.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    Wow. I wish I understood more of the real circumstances of her suspension to know how I feel about this. I know she's said that the whole thing came from using a medication she thought was okay, but it wasn't. If it WAS an honest mistake, the whole thing seems harsh. Though if someone was cheating and got caught, it seems that's the explanation they'd likely offer.

I tend to think that if the governing body of tennis says it's legal for her to be back, tournaments should treat it like an injury return with consideration for a wild card. I'm not sure I like the idea of "governing body says its okay, but tournaments know better". Though I say that recognizing there's a lot about this story I may not know which could change my mind ... maybe.
    I feel the same. I am on the fence. Of course when someone gets caught they say they had no idea, so its hard to believe her. And then I see her maybe wanting to get an edge after not only an injury but Serena's dominance over her the last several years. Then I think she never struck me as someone who would resort to that.

I tend to agree with you about everyone needing to be on the same page, but they might take a harder stance as there is quite a bit of money to be made and prestige to uphold.

From what I've read, a lot of the players aren't happy that she got a reduction on her sentence. I know Eugenie Bouchard (who I think of as very sweet) was pretty outspoken about it a week or so ago. I can see her point.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    From what I've read, a lot of the players aren't happy that she got a reduction on her sentence. I know Eugenie Bouchard (who I think of as very sweet) was pretty outspoken about it a week or so ago. I can see her point.
    I did read quite a bit about that too.

+ Reply to Thread