+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Tennis

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: Tennis

I have a friend who has Sjogren's. When her health started failing, she was diagnosed with everything from Lupus to Lyme Disease to Multiple Sclerosis.

Sometimes tennis players in her age group are accused of suffering from "thirty-itis". Glad she has found a diagnosis. I wish her well.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Wow, Roddick's seeded 21st? What the heck happened? I guess I haven't been following tennis as closely lately
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I’m so, so sorry to hear about your Mom, ECM, and your friend, LittleS&S and thanks for that info about Sjogren's Syndrome.

It sounds like you’re watching A-Rod go down in flames, Crit. He’s really started to fall in the rankings this past year. He lost very early at Wimbledon and he may get eliminated here in what is a first round match for him, although I hope not (Come on, Andy, you can do it!).

They were talking about Jim Courier a little bit ago on the ESPN coverage and Andy’s career really reminds me of Jim’s – they both have a great serve and a big forehand but then seem to lack other elements in their game to consistently beat the other top players of their time. And then that frustration leads them to struggle in the earlier rounds knowing they probably aren’t real contenders any longer. So I think A-Rod may also end up retiring fairly early, too, just like Courier did, and have just that one US Open slam while Jim had the two French Opens. On the upside of US players, Mardy Fish has been on a huge upswing in his career, he’s really improved his training and conditioning and has really jumped up in the rankings. So he's been rising while A-Rod's been spiraling down.

Your fave, Roger, is scheduled to play his second round match tomorrow around 10 AM your time (1 PM EST) on Arthur Ashe. I hope we get an update photo of the twins during the US Open. I haven't seen one recently.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Andy Roddick won, I shouldn't have underestimated him. I totally thought he might go down when things took a turn in the third set, he's had a lot of matches like that recently.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
    Your fave, Roger, is scheduled to play his second round match tomorrow around 10 AM your time (1 PM EST) on Arthur Ashe. I hope we get an update photo of the twins during the US Open. I haven't seen one recently.
    He usually updates his Facebook pretty regularly, but not with pics of the girls.

I definitely haven't been keeping up with tennis lately. I all but missed Wimbledon this year
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I totally missed the Federer match this morning. Argh!

I'm watching Djokovic right now. I have to feel sorry for the players who have to play the number 1 seed in the first round. Unless something crazy happens, that's the end of the line for this guy. I do love Novak though. He totally won my heart a few years ago with that impression of McEnroe.

I went and looked it up and it still made me laugh:
    Djokovic imitates McEnroe at US Open - YouTube

He does some great imitations....
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I've been a fan of Nole's almost as long as I've been a fan of Rafa.

If you like The Joker's imitations, you'll love his dancing!

Novak Djokovic - Dancing at US Open 2011 - YouTube
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I think Nole's impressions are really funny - particularly the Sharapova one - but his one of Rafa hurt Raf's feelings, I think.

Roger played late tonight! I was really glad Caroline pulled that match out, though.

And here's a little tennis gossip from the New York Post about Andy Roddick being ticked off at John McEnroe apparently. I saw that interview - that was the same night I was posting about him - and thought Andy was snarkier than usual and wondered what was up. I hope he never sees what I said about him!

Roddick sick of Mac attacks

Posted: 2:24 AM, September 4, 2011

Andy Roddick dislikes John McEnroe so much, he can’t be in the same room with him -- and ordered the former tennis bad boy be removed from the ESPN suite at the US Open.

The former world No. 1 demanded McEnroe leave the suite at Arthur Ashe Stadium before his interview scheduled there with Chris Fowler following his first-round victory Wednesday night.

Sources tell us Roddick, 29, is furious at criticism from McEnroe, 52, who provides commentary as a tennis analyst for ESPN and CBS.

A source at the US Open told us: “Roddick said he would only come up to the ESPN suite to be interviewed if McEnroe, who as an analyst had been commenting on his match, was told to leave. He said he wasn’t going up there if McEnroe was anywhere near the suite. McEnroe left without a fight, but during the interview you could see Roddick was still fired up about the criticism.”

Roddick grimaced when asked about comments on his performance. He said being a tennis analyst is “the easiest job in the world,” adding, “Everyone is an expert, but I am better than most of them have been.”

The two clashed in June after McEnroe claimed tennis players should go out on the court “like boxers” without warming up, with Roddick hitting back, “That’s irresponsible.”

Roddick said in an interview, “I’ve been sitting around for 4 1/2 hours, and he [McEnroe] wants me to go serve 145 [mph].”

After Roddick lost at Wimbledon, McEnroe lobbed one back, saying he should “freshen up” his game now that he’s married to gorgeous Brooklyn Decker.

But a rep for Roddick told us: “Andy respects and appreciates John McEnroe. I don’t think there’s an issue at all.” He could not comment on whether Roddick asked McEnroe to leave but said, “He was talking about tennis analysts in general, not specifically about John.”

McEnroe said: “No one asked me to leave the booth. I just left because I was finished.”
    Andy Roddick orders John McEnroe to leave suite at US Open following Mac’s criticism of his on-court performance - NYPOST.com

Roddick's kind of a jerk and sorry, McEnroe is one of the better analysts in the game and he's usually right. I don't believe for a second that Roddick would be any sort of commentator. Frankly, I don't think Jim Courier is very good, but he's better than Roddick would be.

I don't know how smart it is not to warm up, but really, why would Roddick be all pissy about that? He needs to focus on getting his game back. I suspect that if he was playing better, the criticism wouldn't bother him.

+ Reply to Thread