+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 57 FirstFirst ... 242434445464748495051525354555657 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Tennis

Re: Tennis

I wasn't home last night, so maybe ESPN did show that match that went until nearly 3 am Eastern. The Federer match is on ESPN right now, so I guess they are showing some night matches. It seemed like whenever I've watched, they've cut in the late afternoon and the rest of the day's coverage was on Tennis Channel.

Funny to watch Roger's father watching the match and listening to the commentators talk about him. He sat there stonefaced for a minute or two and then cracked a little smirk.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

This Murray/Djokovic match feels like it will go all night! The crowd is definitely getting their money's worth with this one!

I think we're headed to another tie break in the second set.

ETA: Yep, another tie break and now they've got one set a piece....and it's midnight in NY!
    Last edited by Critical; 09-04-2014 at 12:59 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Watching the match! Thanks for the heads up - my fingernails are gone and I'm nervousing as usual.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

There has been some pretty great matches so far - lots of tiebreaks!

Sad to see Milos get knocked out but Nishikori is playing awesome tennis. Still rooting for Nole who is my absolute fav

An interesting read about last night's Novak/Andy match: 9 things about the wild, weird (and wonderful?) Djokovic-Murray U.S. Open match | For The Win

Last thought - can't wait to see Federer play Monfils tonight. You never know what you're going to get with Gael...
    Last edited by football_chick; 09-04-2014 at 12:05 PM.

FORT Fogey

Tennis related, Andy Roddick was on Seth Meyers show last night, and I thought he was delightful. He made a lot of comments making fun of himself for the intensity he played with, admitting to being a jerk as a player, etc. I liked him when he was on the courts, but I know he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. It was nice to see that he understands how people viewed him, and can own his behavior. It still irks me when he talks nicely about Roger though. I like to cling to my grudge for that Wimbledon final, even if Andy is over it!
    Florimel and libgirl2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by football_chick View Post
    There has been some pretty great matches so far - lots of tiebreaks!

Sad to see Milos get knocked out but Nishikori is playing awesome tennis. Still rooting for Nole who is my absolute fav

An interesting read about last night's Novak/Andy match: 9 things about the wild, weird (and wonderful?) Djokovic-Murray U.S. Open match | For The Win

Last thought - can't wait to see Federer play Monfils tonight. You never know what you're going to get with Gael...
    I really liked that article!

Can't wait for the match tonight. I'll also be curious to see how Nishikori does. He is having quite a good run.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    Tennis related, Andy Roddick was on Seth Meyers show last night, and I thought he was delightful. He made a lot of comments making fun of himself for the intensity he played with, admitting to being a jerk as a player, etc. I liked him when he was on the courts, but I know he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. It was nice to see that he understands how people viewed him, and can own his behavior. It still irks me when he talks nicely about Roger though. I like to cling to my grudge for that Wimbledon final, even if Andy is over it!
    You and other posters may have negative opinions about Roger, but most in the tennis world don't. He (along with Wozniaki) won the US Open Sportsmanship Award this year.
    Both players are highly respected by their peers on tour.
    Federer, Wozniacki receive US Open Sportsmanship Awards | News | 2014 US Open Official Site - A USTA Event

I'd love to see Roger win one more major. He's playing SO well this year Really, I think only Nole is standing in his way.

FORT Fogey

I'm aware of that. I've always known that people in the tennis world put Roger in very high regard. DOesn't change that he just rubs me the wrong way. Guess that shows I don't allow others to tell me what to think of people.

Well, I respect your opinion even if I don't understand or agree with it.

ETA: I was so sad for Andy Murray last night. It's one thing to get beaten when you're at your best, but it's entirely different when your body starts breaking down and there's nothing you can do. I can't imagine how frustrating that was.

I love that so many of the great players from the era when I feel like tennis was at it's greatest - Ivanisevic, Chang, Edberg, BECKER - are all still involved in the game, as coaches now.
    Last edited by Critical; 09-04-2014 at 04:38 PM.

I wish I hadn't tuned it to see Murray deteriorate ... I would have loved it to have gone strength to strength between both of them.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

+ Reply to Thread