+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 57 FirstFirst ... 4142434445464748495051525354555657 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Tennis

Re: Tennis

I think Agassi handled his retirement perfectly. It was time to go, but he fought until the end.

I think if Roger can stay healthy and continue to play at this level, he might still win one more Slam. It's not like he's really fallen off his game. He's still ranked 4th! Most players would be thrilled to play at the level he's still playing at. Age isn't in his favor, but he's still one of the best out there.

That being said, I think he's probably set for money with all of his endorsements and winnings, so if he wants to retire and spend time with his family, I wouldn't blame him. He's one of the all-time greats of the sport and he doesn't have anything to prove. I definitely can't see him pulling a Connors and staying in the game into his late-30's and becoming a side-show which, sorry, is kind of what Connors turned into.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I don't know if Fed can win another GS. I have a feeling he won't, he will be in the mix or might make a final, but I think this was his last sure shot. But then again, anything is possible. I'm not sure how many of the up and comers can beat him, he had an easy time with Raonic.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Woo hoo! Its US Open time! My favorite GS!
    football_chick and Florimel like this.

I agree, libgirl2! I purposely take the first week of September off just so I can watch

I'm watching Federer/Matosevic right now.

I have to say, I love the US Open, but I miss the massive amount of coverage we used to get on USA. I don't have - and refuse to pay for Tennis Channel - so I know I'm missing a bunch of matches.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm watching Federer/Matosevic right now.

I have to say, I love the US Open, but I miss the massive amount of coverage we used to get on USA. I don't have - and refuse to pay for Tennis Channel - so I know I'm missing a bunch of matches.
    I agree. I used to love when USA had it on. I won't pay for the Tennis Channel either so I guess I'm stuck with what I have

A co-worker of mine knows an online sports site that you can watch sports from all over the world. I'll have to ask him about it. I watched so FO from my desk this past year.

I, too, miss USA's coverage of the open and won't pay for the Tennis channel, but there is a lot of it on ESPN and ESPN2, plus you can see live matches on the computer on ESPN3. I almost always have the US Open page up, too.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I put up the page too. I just always loved USA's coverage.... it felt traditional and I think they gave tennis its props. the worst coverage, imho, is network TV. I can't count how many times there is a great match against two (non-american) lesser known players that I am dying to see and they have a re-run of a match that ended hours ago because an American is competing.
    Last edited by libgirl2; 08-28-2014 at 05:55 PM.

Sounds like we're all in the same boat with access. I just don't remember to watch on my laptop and it's just not the same as watching it on TV. My favorite thing about the US Open has always been those night matches that go into the morning. Now they're all on Tennis Channel

I REALLY want Wozniaki to win this year so she can say that not being saddled with Rory McIlroy helped her to win. He'd totally deserve it.

Gosh, yes.... staying up to watch matches that last til midnight.
    Critical likes this.

+ Reply to Thread